Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Retirement Planner
neb
# Posted: 13 Dec 2014 18:45

http://www.dinkytown.net/java/RetirementPlan3.html

Has anyone used one and would you use it as a guide for your planning.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Dec 2014 18:52

dang NEB~~~ you got retirement on your mind!! LOL
GO FOR IT...get you some health insurance and ENJOY LIFE~~ we are not promised tomorrow....

never used a guide...I just stuck back every 100 dollar bill I got my hands on!!! and was blessed to have a GREAT RETIREMENT pension!!! Very thankful!!! and blessed.

neb
# Posted: 13 Dec 2014 19:02

TH>> I do have the itch and I'm going to do it soon. I plan on one year but maybe sooner then later. It is a hard deal for me but it is time. Yep today was in the hills and would love to do it when I want to just not on weekends. Thanks TH for reminding me again that we never know what tomorrow brings.

hattie
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 12:43

I am very blessed to have a husband who is quite smart with finances. He created his own retirement planner that was made specifically for our needs (ie: how often we will replace our car, how much we will invest in our grandchildren's education savings plans, etc.). He showed it to a financial adviser once and the man wanted to know where he got it from. *smile*

When we retired in September of 2007, my husband said we'd be fine as long as there wasn't a catastrophic event like a market collapse. We laughed about it. Then of course, the markets collapsed in 2008. We were in the midst of a huge renovation to our cabin (we were building a 3 unit motel attached to it) so our expenses were high.

I was terrified we would run out of money but Bob said we just needed to hang on for the ride. We did and we are okay today. We don't have as much as we expected we'd have (due to the market dive in 2008) and now the markets are tanking again. *sigh*

I guess I'm trying to say there are things you can plan for and things you can't. You just need to make your decision and go with it and, as Bob said, "hang on for the ride" when times get rough. It is surprising how little money you will be spending. We have never been happier and I don't regret for one second our decision to retire when we did.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 13:05

I think a good retirement plan includes a good veggie garden and ability to can food. That way one won't go (too) hungry

leonk
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 22:15

you're in the US, right?
use boggleheads forum, there're the best.

neb
# Posted: 15 Dec 2014 21:12

Yes USA. I will take a look. Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.