Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Be careful out there!
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 22 Jan 2015 21:44

Not directly cabin related but I thought I'd share anyhow. A lot of us here are avid do-it-yourselfers and frequently use ladders so listen up.

I was at work Monday and was working on some light fixtures off of an 8' ladder. I repositioned the ladder around some debris in the floor and started up kind of to one side of the ladder. At about the third step the ladder decided it didn't like this position and started to fall over. I reached up to grab something and all there was available was the ceiling grid and so that's where I clutched. I grabbed a 4' tee instead of a main and it just popped out! The ladder continued to fall West and I fell on my back and elbow to the East shattering my elbow into pieces.

Tomorrow I have surgery and I'm gonna be out of work for 8-12 weeks. Workman's comp is taking care of it all and I have disability insurance so I'm not gonna hurt financially but it's still no fun.

I will try and keep you all updated. Now go forth and be careful! LOL

Just
# Posted: 22 Jan 2015 21:54

good luck bzzzzzt. those ortho docs know what there doing . made me walk again .

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Jan 2015 22:13

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope for your full recovery and I'm happy to hear it's all insurance covered.

One of the things I've noticed now that I'm in my 60s is that I take things MUCH more slowly and deliberately than I used to. Even simple actions such as running up or down stairs are now done at a walk. I've installed handrails where I know I should have years ago. I look multiple times each way at intersections and then check again. I get up and turn slowly so my back doesn't suffer a twist.

I learned my lesson about climbing safety when I fell off a 2 foot ladder (please don't laugh, yes a 2 foot ladder!) with a cordless drill in my hand. Fortunately nothing was broken but I did have to use a walking cane for a while.

So good luck on the surgery and please do keep us posted.

bob

neb
# Posted: 22 Jan 2015 23:17

That doesn't sound like fun. I wish you a fast recovery.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 03:35

i am so sorry .thats a terrible hurt.
thats what i tell garyo when we are out there at the cabin...going slow is way better cause its safe.
not that u were going fast Bzzzzzt-
hope u heal sooner than soon.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 06:15

hope your surgery & recovery goes well ....

TomSmith
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 07:28

Thank you. I need frequent reminders to slow down and be safe. Speedy recovery.

SandyR
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 08:59

I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for your speedy recovery.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 09:21

Sorry to hear about your accident, best wishes for a smooth operation & speedy recovery. My children used to laugh at me and call me "Mr. Safety" and I still occasionally take silly risks which I should know better...

hattie
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 12:49

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery!!

Thank you for posting the warning so that hopefully others will learn from this.

Keep us posted on your healing journey!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 14:01

Bzzzzzt
Get well soon! Most often it's the simple things that get you because you watch out for the "risky" stuff.

My best, Salty

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 17:13

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and thank you for the reminder.

Get well soon, and I hope you heal quickly.

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 20:18

Aw Bzzzzt... Sorry to hear about your accident. You will be running up ladders again in no time !! I wish you a speedy recovery.
Lisa

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 13:36

Had surgery yesterday to add a plate and a few screws. Sore as hell and my hand has swollen up but for the most part I'm good.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.