Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / winter stories?
creeky
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 10:22

okay. here's my winter story. makes me laugh.

two years ago it was -35 for a day and overnight but the next day was nice so I started the tractor, started blowing out the snow to the road, and noticed the neighbor, John, walking Harvey, his dog.

we getz to talking when the other neighbor comes by in his car. rolls down his window. and says "hey, you survived the -35 in that little shack of yours" and laughs.

I say, "ya. I was on the phone with a friend. I accidentally put a second log on the fire and whoosh, it was 30 degrees in my cabin." Which was true. I had this wind fall ash that just burned like hang. "Might as well be in the bahamas."

So I get this tremendously skeptical look from both John and Richard.

So this winter I have John by for supper one night. Turns out it's a darn cold night. The "great room" where my living room and kitchen are is getting kind of cool as the wood stove tapers a bit and John starts to twitch. Finally he says to me. "Hey, you might want to put on another log."

Well, I'm about to start cooking, but I say, "okay." And I grab a small little log about as fat as your forearm and show it to him. "I'll throw this little guy on." Of course it's a piece of now 3 year old ash.

Kafwump! And add the heat from the propane stove as I put the chicken on the grill, boil the potatoes, well, the place heats up fast. Now John is twitching 'cause it's about 84 or 32 in there. Finally he says, "maybe I should open the door for a bit."

I laughed and laughed. After he left of course.

So two weeks later he's by picking up some groceries I got for him while in the big city, and he comes in just at the right moment, that time when the wood stove has the place just a little too warm.

"Huh. Nice in warm in here again," he says. With just a trace of envy.

Sometimes you get lucky.

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 13:46

I went to college in Oswego, NY and as some of you know the campus is literally right on the lake shore (Ontario).
Well we used to get some doozy blizzards, wind, blinding snow, the works. One of the things the college did was to string ropes along the sidewalks and paths so kids could guide their way during storms (and, of course, avoid being blown into the lake or a snowdrift).
When you're walking head down into blinding snow you tended to rely on those ropes because you knew if you simply followed a rope hand over hand you'd eventually reach the safety of a building.
Well, I was once doing the hand walk, head down, and I looked up just in time to see a snow plow barreling down on me, plowing the sidewalk! Driver didn't see me and I didn't see him. I took a head first dive into a snowball just in time to avoid being hit. Close call, for sure.
P.S. Yes, I was completely sober

hueyjazz
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 14:42 - Edited by: hueyjazz

Bobrok
They started doing those ropes after a student got blown and slammed into a building. Being on the end of the lake like they are the wind just hurls as you know. When the drinking age was 18 in NY there was a street there (forget the name) but every 3rd building was a bar.
My winter story was my climbing buddy and I would climb a mountain every Easter. We knew it was a bad omen when the only liquor store was close for Good Friday. We started climbing on what started to be a decent day but as we got closer to the peak the weather turned to total crap. We couldn't see and the wind blew so hard that trees and limbs were flying pass us. We made the best shelter that we could but a fire was impossible. We were just praying not to be hit with the flying debris. Next morning it was all sunny and calm again but we bailed on going any further. We came back months later to find out the the peak was only a few thousand yards more.

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 15:01

Quoting: hueyjazz
a street there (forget the name) but every 3rd building was a bar

Bridge Street. Bar hopping was "doing the Bridge Street Run" and trying to finish one end to the other. Don't think it ever happened AFAIK.

Gee, speaking of which, THAT is my other winter story that I'd forgotten.

Thanks for the memories!

hueyjazz
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 16:14

Ha
Bridge Street is why I don't have any memory. I went to Albany but had friends at Osewgo. In high school we would also visit to check out the college. Or a least that's the story we gave ma and pa. Having three older brothers kept me well stocked with IDs. Hey I even looked like them

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 19:20 - Edited by: Pookie129

My best furry friend Gunner, who passed away late last year, was always good for some laughs or fun up at camp/cabin.....one year, while hanging out for a snowmobile weekend, after telling my partner of that time (who was fairly new to outdoor living/lifestyle) over and over again to make sure to put a collar and leash on, just in case. Gunner was hard headed, self assured, curious at heart and if anything peaked her interest, she would go and check it out - and being part Husky, she could run for days if she wanted too. There had also been an incredibly large number of deer on and around the property that year - and Gunner loved her some deer....well, I am sure that everyone can see this coming a mile away, no collar or leash (I was told to stop being such a drama queen) and 4 frisky deer - meant one dog on the run. Aside from being keenly aware that this romantic relationship wasn't going to go any further, I now had a dog on the loose and at large...lol.lol and friends who needed to pack up and head back to town.

The friends were up with their children, and being smaller children at the time, they had a hard time saying or fully pronouncing Gunner and kept yelling Gonner Gonner is gone.....and gone she was.

3 snowmachines and 4 hours later, lots of deer piss, dog piss and tracks but no dog or deer - panic started to set in that we may not find her......

Long story short, just as we had wrapped up our search party and had done everything we could at that time to locate her (stopped at country stores and community centre to put up signs and give contact info, etc)....the kids started to yell and scream and then I heard - Gonner's back....Gonner's back...and there she was.....she made it to the edge of the property and collapsed...we all rushed out to get to this knucklehead - she was exhausted, dehydrated and completely covered in ice on her underbelly with steam rising off her back.....

It took a few hours in front of the wood stove to bring this fugitive back to life.....however, that stupid smile and look of pride could not be erased from the dumb dogs face for about 3 days...even in her sleep.....

I cannot tell you how many deer expeditions that dog involved me in over the years......and how many hard target searches that unfolded because of her deer loving and running ways. Almost became the Tommy Lee Jones of Fugitive Dog Runners and Searches...loll..lol..

I don't miss the "missing in action" part but I miss that dumb dog....the cabin and camp haven't been the same without her but at least she left me with 15 years of stories, memories and unconditional love.

Bevis
# Posted: 24 Feb 2015 06:50

I went to the beach...but didn't get into the water.

Steve_S
# Posted: 24 Feb 2015 08:32

Ohhh POOKIE ! My Siberian Husky did the EXACT SAME THING but she went on "Walkabout" for 2 days before we caught up to her following the sighting reports by all the locals... She had frostbite on her nose which when after she recovered was no longer black but went pink after the skin healed. Silly pupper-toes.... Take 1 Husky, Add Snow and a chance to get free & chase deer.... we all know the rest... LOL

Thanks for the Great Memories... Gee I miss my old Pupper-toes (nickname).

Just
# Posted: 26 Feb 2015 21:34

Last week I was in Clear Water Florida at 75 f *
Tues night I was in a ice fishing cabin on lake Nipissing " North Bay Ontario Can. it was - 25 f with a 40 mph wind that is enough story for me . the cabin was 10 x 20 with a propane vented heater . very comfy inside. O 4 spring ..

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Feb 2015 21:48

Just, come back to Florida. Next week it's going to be in the 80s!

SandyR
# Posted: 26 Feb 2015 22:30

I have a good friend that lives down the street that had two labs. One was the most bull headed lab I have even seen. He would get loose, run down the street to my house and bark at my door until I let him in. Then he would sit by my cub board that has the dog cookies waiting until I gave him one.

My friend and I would walk our three labs every day at the creek in our backyard. The walk is about 2 miles long. One morning her dog decided to try to cross the half frozen creek. About half way across he fell in. We always carry a lease with us, so I hooked the lease on my friend and she went in after the dog. Stupid dog.
He was always doing stupid things like that in the winter.

He got cancer and died last year. I don't know who was more upset, me or my lab. My dog looked for him for well over a month. I sure loved my friend's dog. He had just turned 6 years old.

Pookie129
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 00:01 - Edited by: Pookie129

Quoting: Just

tues night I was in a ice fishing cabin on lake Nipissing " North Bay Ontario Can. it was - 25 f with a 40 mph wind that is enough story for me

now that is funny!

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 01:04 - Edited by: Malamute

I went outside, it was cold, so I went back in and made a fire.

Winter isnt as much fun now for some reason.

I used to CAMP in the winter, nearly full time for a while. On the ground.

The stinkin dog LOVES the cold. She stays outside most of the time unless it gets down below zero(F), or when its bed time. She was a runner when I got her. She escaped a couple times, and in dangerous ways and places. I got a training collar, and with ONE use of her wanting to run, she never did it again. I take her for walks with no leash all the time. If she sees deer, I just say Hey! Stay here! And she does. Bunnies are hard to resist, but she does if I am serious when I tell her not to. I think she doesnt run now because I let her run a LOT, so she doesnt have to do it bootleg style. She has tons of freedom, and minds pretty well.

One of my former homes,

Dog playing out in the yard last winter in blizzard conditions,

neb
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 08:58

Malamute>>>>That is interesting way of life living in a tee pee. If I my ask was it out of necessity or just the way you wanted it? I always like your posts and thoughts.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 09:29

winter story....hmmm Beautiful today!!! going to be in the high 60's this weekend and 70's by Mon /Tuesday...
forsythia and daffodils in full bloom and all the other bulb flowers have broke ground and peeking out....SPRING is getting close ...end of story

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 14:06

The tipi was by choice. I was young(er) and adventurous. I spent a couple years off and on living in it, and several years being semi-nomadic, camping out in the hills, off my motorcycle or pickup camping. I averaged sleeping in a house about 2 months/year for about 5-6 years. I just LOVED roaming and adventuring. I'd do town stuff, work, whatever, I just slept out in the hills most of the time.

Now, my little cabin seems really civilized and comfortable. The ground seems really hard.

I said, to a friend a couple years ago that I used to camp a lot with, "I dont think I'm as tough as I used to be, I dont like sleeping on the ground any more". The friend said "I'm as tough as I used to be, I just want to be tough at home now".

neb
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 20:05

LOL! Very interesting my friend.

TH>>> You wouldn't be tough enough to live here! End of story. LOL

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 21:12

Quoting: neb
TH>>> You wouldn't be tough enough to live here! End of story. LOL

is it tough or CRAZY ...lol...just kidding my friend

PS--I could live there June through November ( 6 months a year)..lol I do like ICE in my glass of sweet tea or in my yeti cooler full of cold beverages

neb
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 21:35

I like it! LOL Actually been a good one here this year but isn't over yet. You have fun in the sun TH.

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 21:42 - Edited by: Malamute

Last year we had around 3 feet of snow from two different storms, with winds. It drifted about 5-6 feet deep in my driveway. That was the storm the dog was out goofing off in while I worked on the driveway a bit.

The 20 below sort of thing didnt used to bother me that much, and I didnt camp in those temps that often. Now, the cold just bothers me more. I want to go be tough in Az for a while and visit old friends. Talked to a buddy there, he said they had take their jackets with them the other day. It was awful cold, in the 50's.

Just
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 22:37 - Edited by: Just

weather has given me many of the highlights in my life most resent my stay on a frozen lake at -35 .
others are
a sand storm in a western desert
a hail storm leaving a foot of hail against the barn door
a thunder storm on the barn roof and the smell of the dry soil being quenched , then taking my two small children hands and leading them down the lane for a bare foot mud walk..
a strong cold front lifting the sail of my boat and healing it over to close for comfort .
stepping out of a gondola at 8000 ft and meeting a blizzard head on .
These and many other weather extreme events have enriched my life. just

neb
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 23:18 - Edited by: neb

JUst>>I know your tough enough for the north country. LOL

Yep this winter has been an odd one. We have had rain every month of 2015 and that isn't very common. We got 35/100 of rain in February!!! That is unheard of in this area.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.