Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / The Vikings
rmak
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 19:40 - Edited by: rmak

Here's an off-topic topic. Anyone watch The Vikings TV series on the History channel? I'm a former blond (gray now) blue eyed Slavic person. The Slavs intermarried with the Norse quite a bit at a point in history. In fact, the Slavic term for Viking was Rus. That's how Russia got its name. I probably have some of the blood line, so Vikings and Norsemen have always been of interest to me.

The series is pretty good at portraying that period of time. It was a fascinating time. Most of us here are probably of European descent. The Europeans who came over to populate America felt so superior to the Native Americans. The cool part about watching the show is to realize that Europeans went through the same phase. They were just as primitive as the people they looked down upon when they reached these shores. I see a lot of similarities between Native Americans and the Vikings. Both fought savagely, lived in simple structures and had rituals we find strange today. Castles were nothing more than wood forts like you used to see in cowboy movies. A lot of this is shown very well in this series, even though there are some inaccuracies. This is the 700-800 A.D. time period.

Anyhow, enough rambling. I don't advocate watching much TV, but this is good if you like history.

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 05:11

I don't watch much TV but I do like this show......doesn't hurt that Ragnar, Lagertha, Rollo, Siggy and some of the others are easy on the eyes....lol..lol.

I would agree that there could be some comparisons between Native Americans and Vikings. Both honoured and lived off the land and mother earth but they would also have to ferociously try to protect their people, land and culture.

rmak, you got good taste...lol..lol.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 26 Feb 2015 18:20

I wonder who would win in a battle..huns or vikings?

rmak
# Posted: 26 Feb 2015 22:51

The Visigoths could woop the Viking and huns with both hands tied behind their backs.

Pookie129
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 00:03

Quoting: rmak
The Visigoths could woop the Viking and huns with both hands tied behind their backs.

What about with one eye closed?

rmak
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 17:04

Quoting: Pookie129
What about with one eye closed?

No problem. Visigoths could take 'em with two hands and one eye tied behind their backs!

Littlecooner
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 23:38

and barefooted?

rmak
# Posted: 28 Feb 2015 17:51 - Edited by: rmak

Yep, two hands, one eye and one barefoot tied you know where. The Visigoths would beat the Vikings like a borrowed mule.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 28 Feb 2015 22:37

And the Spartans?

rmak
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 09:04

Spartans, schmartans. There was only 300 of them. They couldn't even beat the Persians. And the Persians wore earrings!

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 19:24

lol rmak....well dont forget about Texans!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.