Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Suggestions for Multi-Purpose ATV
. 1 . 2 . >>
Pookie129
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 07:06

I am looking to purchase an ATV this year but would like one that I can use for utility (hauling some wood, supplies, clearing snow, around the property in general, etc) but I would also like to be able to do some trail riding with friends (mid range trail riding and day trips).

Any suggestions?

Quad_Hunter
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 08:03 - Edited by: Quad_Hunter

I'm guess this might be a topic that some people are as passionate about as their truck manufacturers. I've had several ATV's. Arctic Cat, Polaris, Suzuki. Currently own Polaris 500. Parts are easy to come by, and are a reasonable price. Slight differences in all of them, however, I'm really leaning towards the purchase of a new Can-AM myself. I liking the 650 but it's expensive.

For general purpose around the camp and also trail riding I'd stick to a 500 to 650cc range. Any more and you'll suck through the gas. 400 is a little light if you want to haul heavy stuff. A winch is a must, heck two if you can afford it (front and back).

Whatever you get, I'd shy away from plowing with them. Don't get me wrong, they do a great job at plowing, however, hard on the front end. You'll need to replace the front seals every year or every other if lucky.

Moomps
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 08:50

I agree with Quad_Hunter, a 500 or similar is just about right for what you described. I have an old Polaris 500 Sportsman and I use it for lots of stuff around the cabin along with a general trail-rider. I ride with people with 850s and larger and they go real fast if that's what you're looking for, but I haven't found a situation where I can't get thru the same stuff they are except a little slower. Ditto on the winch - a definite must have for pulling stuff or pulling yourself out. And, the one thing I wish I had is power steering! After a day of trail riding, my arms are SHOT. And my 2 cents worth - always wear a helmet. I've rolled my ATV twice and also run into low hanging branches that would have taken my head off. Good luck and safe riding.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 08:51

You are looking at a utility quad. The Polaris had loads fo aftermarket implements to fit them. Montana Jacks ATV outpost is a great site. http://www.montanajacks.com/

The Suzuki Kind quad is a powerhouse too. I have a buddy who has the 500 and 750, both EFI models and all winched up.

I have a Suzuki Eiger 400 I bought new way back in 2002. Its rugged, tough and rock solid reliable. But I wish I had an IRS (independent rear suspension) and I never go to the cabin without it. I use it to run around the 40 acres, haul in wood, even drive down to the gate at night to shut it, run and retrieve water, haul work tools for fence work etc. I must have IMHO.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 11:55

I am a Yamaha kinda guy and owned a Kodiak 450 for years. Very reliable and as other suggested, around 500 is probably the ideal size for your intended purposes.

We have so many great trails up our way you are going to have a blast

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 12:05

Toyota
I just got a steal on a 2005 Suzuki Eiger. Paid $2300 with only 500 miles on it. Guy was getting divorced and wanted cash. Glad you said kind word on it as everyone pushes Polaris. Frankly I really wanted one of these for work chores at the camp. Wheel barrel just isn't cutting it anymore. I do have a lawn tractor dump trailer someone gave me I plan to use with it and it did come with a plow. Mechanically I'm pretty well skilled but I haven't so much as even sat on a ATV. Now I'm dying for the weather to break. I also now need to build a secure storage shed as I don't want to truck it all the time. I live in the city and really don't have the space to store it there. I do have a garage but I store my old Porsche there. My wife really hates that car for two main reasons.
1. She will never be allowed to drive it
2. She will never be allowed to drive it
We experimented once with trying to teach her how to drive a stick. Neither the car or me would last the amount of time that would take.

hattie
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 12:40

We have had a Yamaha Rhino for many years now. It is a side by side with a pick-up box in the back. It handles rough trails and the box is great for carrying stuff. Bob even modified the back so our dog could ride in it. If you don't modify it, the floor of the box gets incredibly hot because exhaust system is right under it. The only disadvantage we have ever found is that it is sometimes too wide for a trail (but that doesn't happen very often).

We take ours to our camp and use it for hunting, hauling sand from the river in the fall, and exploring. We don't use it for ploughing snow though (we hire a neighbour for that). We'd be lost without our rhino!!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 14:24 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: hueyjazz
ToyotaI just got a steal on a 2005 Suzuki Eiger. Paid $2300 with only 500 miles on it. Guy was getting divorced and wanted cash. Glad you said kind word on it

Huey, I have around 1200 miles on it. A weakness is design did show up on the 4WD shift cable. This is the cam lever on the handlebar. There is a plastic link that just broke on mine. I very seldom used it. After it broke, the system defaults into 4WD. The plastic link isn't available separately, you need to buy the entire lever assy for $125. And you end up with a plastic link again. I found a source online who made the link is metal for $40. I installed it and my 4WD shifter system should never give me trouble again. Do a search for "Suzuki Eiger 4WD cable broke"

I found a seller on ebay selling them. Get it and replace it when on your free time. It will fail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LT-F400F-LT-A400F-Eiger-Transfer-Lever-Mechanism-57920 -38f11-REPAIR-/121336337780

Littlecooner
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 19:26

27 years here on ATV's. Almost ever time I ride my current one, I make the comment, next one will have Power Steering. That, to me is more important that having tires. Please purchase with Power Steering, no matter the brand. Honda is a bullet proof unit, the old ones were, run forever with very limited repairs. The first two were a 350 and 400cc. Now on a 650 Kawasaki. Way more power and speed than the 65 year old needs, but if you like driving 75 miles an hour on the pavement and still have the power to pull big huge load, get one of the big cc units. Make sure your gas credit card has plenty of cash left before maxing out. All that said, If I was purchasing today I would pick a 500 cc unit (brand) that I liked. You do not need a 750-800 or 1000 cc unit unless you are a hot rodder. These things will get you killed or break many bones. A 500 cc with a heavy duty trailer will move a lot of material. I actually drag logs with my current unit and can put 300-400 pounds on the racks and still have plenty of power to move material (not while dragging anything else). Everyone is in the ATV UTV business today, I would stick with the old brands of Honda, Kawasaki, Yahama, etc. Tried and true engineering. If you are going to haul a great deal of stuff, a UTV works, especially for the lady or small kid passengers to sit beside you and they all come with dump beds. They will go almost any place the ATV's will go. ok, M2CW

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 21:13

Toyota
Thanks for the heads up. That's why I like this site. We help each other. And for the record my web name is to honor two great dogs that owned me that went to the great beyond. Huey, aka Houston and Jazz, aka Jaspur.
I hope they are enjoying a eternal biscuit as I type.
My butt isn't that big.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 22:07

I ride a 2005 400 Arctic Cat. It has a full diff lock for pulling hills with heavy loads. Great workhorse. My cabin is off the road system so all materials have been hauled in with either the wheeler or snow machine.

For trail riding we have a Polaris razor 800 with power steering. Fun and comfortable but not made for work.

Polaris and Can Am make a six wheeler. Friends have both and both are impressive!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 22:19 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

And for the record my web name is to honor two great dogs that owned me that went to the great beyond. Huey, aka Houston and Jazz, aka Jaspur.

I figured you were being silly with a name like Hugh Jazz or Ilene Dover etc. I thought I had it all figured out, but I wasnt even close.

I have 2 dogs that own me. A french bulldog named Gizmo and a english bulldog named Gadget.

Hey, get that part ordered. Its going to snap, I promise.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 03:04

x2 for AK Seabee. Ours is a bit newer, also a 400 Arctic Cat. Plenty of power for moving wood around, hauling some gravel. We don't need to haul big loads very far or over soft ground. Easy riding on trails. Got the 2-up queen seat attachment which is a cush ride to the trailhead (3 miles) for two of us. Plastic cowling is a little shabby, but mechanically it's been flawless for 5 years.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:23

Quoting: Quad_Hunter
however, I'm really leaning towards the purchase of a new Can-AM myself. I liking the 650 but it's expensive.

Just for something new or is there a reason you are moving from the Polaris to the Can Am?

Unfortunately, I may need to plow with it, too much snow to shovel and don't want to get all involved with a plow for the truck, so unless a tractor of sorts becomes available cheap, I will most likely have to do some plowing...

Thanks for the info, it's helpful.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:25

Quoting: Moomps
Ditto on the winch - a definite must have for pulling stuff or pulling yourself out. And, the one thing I wish I had is power steering! After a day of trail riding, my arms are SHOT. And my 2 cents worth

And they were a helpful 2 cents...

And for the record, as someone who has ridden motorized things probably longer than I have been walking, I agree, helmets, helmets, gloves and helmets....

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:29

Quoting: LoonWhisperer
I am a Yamaha kinda guy and owned a Kodiak 450 for years. Very reliable and as other suggested, around 500 is probably the ideal size for your intended purposes.

We have so many great trails up our way you are going to have a blast

Well, although I am a honda girl, when Valentino Rossi switched over from Honda to Yamaha, I had to find a way to reconcile those two worlds...and the kodiak has come up several times.. and yeah, 500 (650 max) is ideal, I just don't bounce as well as I used too in my younger years. We are indeed lucky the amount of trails and some are very close to camp, we really have it made and ps - the shovel only comes out when there are drinks involved....

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:33

1. She will never be allowed to drive it
2. She will never be allowed to drive it

This made me laugh....these were and still are the house rules around any of my bikes (enduro, motocross, dirt, sport, etc)...after numerous attempts at try to teach the finer points of 2 wheeled motorized sports/riding to former partners with poor results...disastrous, just disastrous for both the bikes and the relationships...lol..lol..that sometimes rules can restore order and balance to a situation...lol..lol.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:34

Quoting: Littlecooner
Please purchase with Power Steering, no matter the brand.

I promise....I have been told this many times and will heed your advice. Thank you.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:42

I have ridden motorized vehicles most of life - mainly dirt/enduro and sport bikes, as well as snowmachines. I have ridden ATV's a dozen or so times and have faired well - still a lot to learn of course, but since I need to be practical and realistic, something 500 - 650 would be sufficient power wise, hot rodding days are somewhat over, and anything that can tow 800 - 1500lbs I think would manage most of the utility things I would need to do with it.

Things to consider or include:

IRS
Winch
Power Steering

I also appreciate the comment about the box and heat, especially if I wanted to find a way to bring my dog around with me, at least I will take that into consideration or account. Much appreciated.
Thanks
Shayna

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:43

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
You are looking at a utility quad. The Polaris had loads fo aftermarket implements to fit them. Montana Jacks ATV outpost is a great site. http://www.montanajacks.com/

The Suzuki Kind quad is a powerhouse too. I have a buddy who has the 500 and 750, both EFI models and all winched up.

I have a Suzuki Eiger 400 I bought new way back in 2002. Its rugged, tough and rock solid reliable.

Thanks, I am going to do some online looking at both...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:43 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I have a Honda ATV 300 fourtrax.....tough as nails x million..used to have Yamaha's ATV's.....just got a 3000 #winch for it. I put a back rest on it for Cabela's makes a difference. I am 6'3" and fits me fine. I have seeder for it that bolts to back for seeding around pond or food plots. And I have a harrow for it and a hand winch I built that built for lifting deer or hogs to the rack.

I have 2 golf carts / a club car and a Yamaha both set up for the WOODS with lift kits and one a flat bed on back /other has fold down seat that makes a flat bed for hauling ....big tires /front rack on both that are homemade for hauling extra gear or game..............these are both gas but are quite in woods and do really well in mud.

and my latest purchase around the holidays was a older Kawasaki MULE....with a dump bed on back....it is a handy machine at camp.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:44

Quoting: AK Seabee
For trail riding we have a Polaris razor 800 with power steering. Fun and comfortable but not made for work.

Definitely fun!

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:45

Quoting: toofewweekends
Got the 2-up queen seat attachment which is a cush ride to the trailhead (3 miles) for two of us.

Is it comfortable and could you do a longer ride, comfortably?

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:47

Quoting: turkeyhunter
I have a Honda ATV 300 fourtrax.....tough as nails x million..used to have Yamaha's ATV's.....just got a 3000 #winch for it. I put a back rest on it for Cabela's makes a difference. I am 6'3" and fits me fine. I have seeder for it that bolts to back for seeding around pond or food plots. And I have a harrow for it and a hand winch I built that built for lifting deer or hogs to the rack.

I have 2 golf carts / a club car and a Yamaha both set up for the WOODS with lift kits and one a flat bed on back /other has fold down seat that makes a flat bed for hauling ....big tires /front rack on both that are homemade for hauling extra gear or game..............these are both gas but are quite in woods and do really well in mud.

and my latest purchase around the holidays was a older Kawasaki MULE....with a dump bed on back....it is a handy machine at camp.

I like what you have going on here...lol..lol. You should have your own show modifying outdoor rigs for the woods

A mule is also a handy machine but no good on the trails..lol..lol.

CanadianNorth
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 08:57

@ OP

I'm looking at purchasing an ATV too, to do pretty much the same sorts of heavy tasks, namely, plowing snow and skidding wood, tree length. I should mention that I come from a motorcycle and forestry background of nearly 40 years.

Asking an ATV to pull trees and plow snow is a lot, so I would recommend the largest ATV on the market or at least a 750cc model. These larger models will probably come with heavier drivetrains, bigger tires, and much more grunt. A large twin engine would be the best engine configuration for working, since it produces more torque, less hp.

If you are using an ATV only for work, you may look at a small used skidder instead. Keep in mind that they are initially more expensive ($8K - 12K) and much more expensive to repair should anything break and require some heavy equipment mechanical skills and tools to work on. But a small skidder like a Timberjack 230 or 350 (or Clark 664 which is even better) will do 10 times the work of an ATV without any trouble. You can even put it to work for you, if your neighbours require a skidder to pull some wood out of their lot.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 09:02 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Pookie129
Thanks, I am going to do some online looking at both...

Those Suzukis are both equipped with power steering and both are single cylinders. The twins on the bigger (700+) Polaris really suck the fuel compared to the big singles. My 400 Eiger will burn one tank to my buddies 3 on his Polaris 700 twin.

When you going deep into the woods, fuel range is critical.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 09:51

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
When you going deep into the woods, fuel range is critical.

Along with toilet paper or clean socks

Thanks TMT,
Shayna

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 09:53

Quoting: CanadianNorth
If you are using an ATV only for work

I need it for both work and play, so it needs to be something practical for both purposes as I will not be able to do both.

I need to be realistic if I am to get a new dirt bike as well

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 09:56

I need it for both work and play, so it needs to be something practical for both purposes

get a good used side x side....some deals out there..and you will have a bed on back for hauling which is so handy.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 10:44

Along with toilet paper or clean socks Thanks TMT, Shayna

Very good point. I have a storage box on the back of mine, in it I have a tow strap, tow chain, hand bow saw, tire plug patch kit, small 12V air compressor, toilet paper, maps, water proof gloves, folding shovel, one burner cook stove, granola bars (no, I'm not a greenie) hatchet, folding shovel and on the back, I have a Kolpin chain saw press and carry my Stihl 026/20" bar with me. Go into the woods on a trail during a small wind storm and find the exit blocked. Nice to have or the bow saw anyway. My quad is equippped with a Warn 2500 lb winch with the optional remote control operation or a momentarty switch on the handlebars. A must if you go into deep mud or snow.

I have added a horn to mine. Plus mirrors on both sides of the handlebars. At first, my neighbor gave me greif witht he horns, but I have been on trails that allow off orad motorctycles too and they come up on you fast and can not hear you (my quad is so quiet) and a honk of the horn, they slow right down. Great to grab the attention of your riding buddie too. The mirrors, just good to see who is behind you.

Oh, always carry means to start a fire for an emergency situation. As you ride dep into the backcountry, you can and will come up with more items to add ot the aresenal/toolbox.

The patch kit on mine was after I got a flat in the rear. On a live axle, the tire became smaller witht he leak, I plugged it ASAP and was able to ride out, but the quad wanted to turn hard left. Wore me out steerign it straight, so the compressor was added to the arsenal.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.