Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / WIFI range extender/repeater
paulz
# Posted: 4 May 2015 00:08

I get WIFI from my neighbor on my property but it does not reach to my cabin, have to walk about 100' away. Anyone play with repeaters?

Just
# Posted: 4 May 2015 08:58

Yes I have one , my neighbor and I share a connection he has the router I have the extender . Our homes are 550 feet apart and it is quit dependable 95 % of the time . we share the cost , HE PAYS the bill and I give him a weekend at the cottage 300 $ he is happy with the arrangement . the brand is a Amped Wireless ,600 mw range extender .

creeky
# Posted: 4 May 2015 09:11

I put tinfoil in a smooth as I could get it parabola like shape behind my antenna to focus the signal towards my house. It helped. Then I read an article about using beer cans to make reflectors. Get 5 bars now.

It's real easy. Cut the tops and bottom of the can about 3/4 off. I used a knife. Then cut a line down the middle of the cut part. Open up the can into a curve. I used the hole from popping the can open to go over the router antenna. Fixed it all with a bit of tape.

Best part. My router has three antenna and after making a mess of the first can, I had to empty 4 500ml cans. Aww, shucks.

paulz
# Posted: 4 May 2015 09:48

Thanks guys. Yeah there is probably about 400' between his router and my cabin. Property line is about halfway. I don't want to mess with his antenna since he has several areas on his property that he probably wants the WIFI.

Some of the repeaters I see advertised are DC with a separate power supply, I am thinking I could run one off a battery (since it would only be part time) at roughly halfway between the router and the cabin. I would also prefer not to have to mess with his stuff, neither of us are computer savvy, he calls the Geek Squad when he has a problem and I want to avoid that.

Wilbour
# Posted: 4 May 2015 09:52

I have seen a usb antenna set into the metal veggie steamers. the kind that have about 8 or so curved tabs that open to form a sort of parabola.

Just
# Posted: 4 May 2015 10:32

mine is mounted in the peek of my shed , it has a direct line of sight to the neighbors home . The shed has power to it so no problem with supply, it works well except in very heavy snow or rain . the repeater must have a decent signal to work well .

paulz
# Posted: 4 May 2015 10:44

OK so yours is not hard wired to anything? In the instructions I found for your unit it said something about attaching it to the computer, like putting it in the same building. My smart phone WIFI works fine at the spot I want to use the repeater, it is line of sight to the house the router is in. Also just about line of sight from there to my cabin, a couple trees in between but I have some wiggle room.

Did yours 'find' the host router on it's own or did you have to enter info to the host computer?

Thanks again.

Just
# Posted: 4 May 2015 11:05

yes it works without wires,, just the power ,, you need to know your neighbors password if he has one, and you need to create a new password for the extender . There is a DVD that comes with it to explain hookup,, if i can do it anyone can !! it will find all the routers around just like your computer always dose .

Quad_Hunter
# Posted: 4 May 2015 18:45 - Edited by: Quad_Hunter

Google wifi extender with pringles can. It works pretty good.

Here's one example here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/

Plenty of other examples too available on net

paulz
# Posted: 6 May 2015 12:14

Quad, do you use this on the receiving end? In other words you have it connected to your computer and pointed in the direction of the router that is sending the WIFI signal?

I don't think my PC has the type of connectors (coax?) that the instructions call for.

Just, thanks for you last reply. Barring something like the cantenna mentioned above I'll purchase the extender you use.

Just
# Posted: 6 May 2015 13:18 - Edited by: Just

BTW The plug that powers the range extender has a transformer from 110 ac in to 12 v dc. so it it wouldn't be hard to use a battery
good luck....

keljohnso
# Posted: 7 May 2015 07:28 - Edited by: keljohnso

Check out Radio Labs, http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wifi-bridge-kits.php

They have lots of point-to-point network bridges and antennas just for that kind of install. 18-20 MILES!!!!

Also do a search for Yagi antennas.

paulz
# Posted: 31 May 2015 12:54

Update and question: I now have a 12v repeater halfway between my cabin and the router and getting service (albeit slow). I've been using a car battery but I have to drag it to where the repeater is, and it needs a charge every day. Can I run wire roughly 200' and run it 12v with power from the cabin or will I lose too much?

Steve961
# Posted: 31 May 2015 20:26

Paul:

If you have any sunlight where the repeater is you might be better off getting a small solar panel and charge controller. It's hard to run DC 200 feet without a lot of voltage drop.

paulz
# Posted: 31 May 2015 21:46

Thanks Steve, good idea, there is some sun there. I forget what it draws but not much.

Sent via cabin WiFi!

paulz
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 22:09

Quoting: Quad_Hunter
Google wifi extender with pringles can. It works pretty good.

Here's one example here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/

Plenty of other examples too available on net

So I've been cruising along pretty well with my range extender, so I'm getting cocky now and trying to watch youtube. I have the repeater as far away from the router (about 200') as I can and still get the green (best reception) light but at the cabin my tablet has a low Wifi reception reading and youtube buffers badly. I want to try the can trick but not sure how I can because the repeater has two sides, one facing the router and the other the cabin. If I put the can behind the repeater facing the cabin it will block the signal coming from the router no?
router.jpg
router.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.