Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Prison escape in NY/Way off topic, but very important nontheless
bobrok
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 16:20

I'm sure a lot of you are aware of, and perhaps following in the news, the story of the prison break in the mountains of upstate New York.

Well, it's been a week and these two very dangerous convicted murders are still on the loose. There is constant local news coverage in this area in addition to the national, and it's beginning to look like there are some real positive leads, along with evidence being uncovered, of the whereabouts of these two convicts, but no capture yet.

As time moves forward these two will  become more and more desperate for food, shelter, and a way out of the forest. There has been weather moving through the area all week, there is dangerous wildlife, the black flies are in season, and they can only view their situation becoming worse daily.

I know there are members here who live or have camps in and around the area.
My buddy and I along with our two sons have tent camped not too many miles from that prison every summer for over 20 years. We know people who live and work in this area, some for the prison system, although not directly at the prison where the escape occured. There are many prisons in this area and NYS Dept. of Corrections a major employer here.

These two convicted murders, both serving life sentences, have got to be desparate and they have nothing to lose.

I truly hope and pray that they are apprehended soon and without bloodshed.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 16:41

These two convicted murders, both serving life sentences, have got to be desparate and they have nothing to lose.

I truly hope and pray that they are apprehended soon and without bloodshed.
terrible bobrok-and actually i dont think it is way off the subject cause alot of us have to be aware of things like this in our woods and camps.
thanks for the reminder we need to be our own neighborhood crime watch in our neck of the woods.
i sure hope they apprehend these bad fella's.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 17:30

Everyone should watch out for one another and themselves. Especially the folks in that area. These thugs won't be caught soon enough to suit me.

Here's to everyone's safety!

SandyR
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 22:08

Ugh. I hadn't heard about this. Where in NY is the prison they escaped from.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 05:38

These guys are amazingly crafty and I don't think they'll want to linger in that area, with that intense hunt for them going on. They've broken out of prisons previously! One of them headed down to Mexico that time, eluded capture and was finally caught almost on a fluke.

Folks in rural areas really do need to watch out for each other. I'm especially mindful of that. I've been pretty leery of guns my whole life but I've been having some shooting enthusiast friends taking me out to the range with them to shoot and helping me figure out what type I should buy. It turns out I'm a pretty good shot! But I hope I never have to pull the trigger against another human being.

It's sad how violent and messed up society has become.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 06:56

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
But I hope I never have to pull the trigger against another human being.

I hope you don't as well....BUT it is better to pull the trigger on the bad guy than having them pull the trigger on YOU...
I CARRY ( concealed) and have a permit to do so.

ps--glad you are spending time on range getting ready!!!

smallworks
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 22:04

Our camp is not far from Dickinson. (Joyce Mitchell's home).
I'm beginning to think the woods got them. The woods are thick in Saranac, and I wouldn't want to be on the lam in those parts. Newspapers go on about animals but really, the black flies, mosquitoes and iffy creek waters will probably be their doing.
If they didn't get far before the break was discovered, they're probably writhing with stomach cramps and wishing they never left.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Jun 2015 17:03

Reports from several news sources that one of the prisoners has been shot and killed by police. The other is still being sought. It's thought they had still been traveling together.

They had broken into one or two hunting camps and we're armed.

I pose a question:
Those of you who have firearms and do not live at your cabin; do you keep your firearms and ammo at your cabin full time or do you travel back and forth with everything?

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Jun 2015 17:16 - Edited by: MtnDon

Richard Matt was killed

Some firearm(s) left there but in a place and in a manner that makes it very unlikely anyone would discover without a very methodical search. They are ones that I consider easily replaced, disposable, not ones dear to my heart or more rare.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 26 Jun 2015 19:34

Good riddance

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 19:53

Quoting: Salty Craig
Good riddance

Indeed! One down, one to go.

Wilbour
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 16:15

They got David now. Wounded but alive.

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 17:38 - Edited by: bobrok

Wow! You're on a first-name basis with this guy, eh?

Seriously, glad they got him alive. This story was just way too good to die with them. TV movie rights for sale soon. And I can't wait for Matt's prison artwork to become collectable and sought after, ala a few other notorious inmates.

God, I hope this doesn't happen.

Just texted my crew. Our 22nd annual father/son camping trip has been saved

smallworks
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 23:18

Quoting: bobrok
I pose a question:
Those of you who have firearms and do not live at your cabin; do you keep your firearms and ammo at your cabin full time or do you travel back and forth with everything?

Some bullets, but no- we don't leave firearms.
I'm curious about the artwork!
collectible & sought after until the next new thing. (infortunately..is nothing sacred)? !

old243
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 09:19

We leave a cheap single shot 12 guage at camp, complete with shells. Hopefully just for critters. Stored securely in different locations. old243

Salty Craig
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 19:58

I keep a 12 gauge at the cabin. Hung in plain site. Shells close by. Good neighbors. 5 years, no problems.

Anna
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 17:13 - Edited by: Anna

Post firearm/ammo topics on threads linked below

Open Carry Topic: URL

What do you use for protection while at your cabin, gun control issues: URL

Break ins/cabin security: URL

What Is The Worst Weapon / Firearm You Ever Owned?:URL

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 18:29

Anna

Hello Anna. This is also off topic but welcome aboard. New moderator?

Nothing against you but what happened to cabin builder?

Salty

Anna
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 18:56

I've been sneaking around for about a year. Cabin Builder is still around just working on some projects so I help out.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 21:32

@Anna: a forum point of order, or even a simple, dumb question, if you will oblige me.
If I, as OP, change the direction of my initial post, such as happened with my question about storing firearms (as an afterthought to the prison escape topic) is this an OT direction of my own thread?
I'm not totally versed on discussion forum protocol and I'd appreciate your answer. Since I originated this "OT" I want to be accountable if I breached forum rules.
Thanks for your input.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.