Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / So NOW I'm starting to worry....
hattie
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 21:04

Is it hot where you live? It is about 96 F here right now and that is scary for June where we live. Not only is it hot, it is DRY - really, really dry!!! We have a shallow, dug well and it has never failed us in droughts, but now I'm starting to worry. If the rivers and lakes are this low in JUNE (normally our rainy season), what is going to happen in August (normally our dry season)?

Does anyone else have any worries about this strange weather? Is anyone storing water (just in case)? I read an idea on Pinterest about canning water. The poster said that for people who normally do canning, why not can water in unused mason jars? They suggested putting some hot water in canning jars and processing for 10 minutes in a hot water bath. Sounds like a good idea to me. Has anyone tried this?

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 21:17

Quoting: hattie
Has anyone tried this?

Budweiser....
this Bud's for you
this Bud's for you

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 21:18

Actually, I can't imagine canning enough of your own water to make a difference.

Yes the water situation can be scary.... too much in some places and not enough in others. If you hear about wells in the area going dry don't wait too long to get a poly cistern so you can truck in water.

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 21:41 - Edited by: darz5150

Probably a cheaper idea would be to buy trashcans with a lid, and put a liner in them. You can buy bags/liners big enough for a bathtub from Emergency Essentials and amazon ($23 bucks) not a lot of money, that have a filler spout and siphon. Simply put the bag in the can, fill it, and if you are going to store it for a long time put non scented bleach in or water purification tablets, and that's it. It will be heavy after filling so if you can use your garden hose and fill it where you can store it would be the easiest way.
You can probably buy the can and liner for less money than 3 or 4 dozen canning jars. Then you can store 30 or more gallons instead of 5 or 6 gallons in jars.
Also Mt.Don't had a good suggestion. Now might be a good time to check into a mobile water wagon. Good Luck.

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 22:11

I don' t know if you have a water purification set up just in case things get really desperate but you might want to think about getting one.
We have Sawyer Life straws that are portable, but I also purchased several kits from HomeSpun Environmental that are easy to set up and are able to filter even gas and oil as well as chemicals from lake water. Each will filter thousands of gallons. They have silver incorporated in the ceramic filters that kills bacteria, e - coli etc. A friend of mine bought one after I showed him mine, and he filtered water from Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, and the water came out as clean as a bottle of Dasani.
Also you are wise for preparing for what might or might not happen. Plan ahead, you'll be fine. Remember that Noah didn' t wait for the rain to hit him in the head, before he built the Ark! LOL

hattie
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 23:36

We actually have a wall of water in our greenhouse because we have a passive solar set-up. So we have eighteen, 25 gallon barrels of water stacked up in food grade barrels (450 gallons of water total). The water has been in those barrels for about 8 years now so I wouldn't want to drink it. When our power goes out, we use it to flush toilets, etc. Bob put bleach in the barrels before he put water in them, but still, I wouldn't want to drink it after so many years and I wouldn't want to start emptying them and refilling them.

Maybe some kind of a filtering system would make the water drinkable like what darz5150 said. The only reason I liked that canned water idea is because I already have a lot of jars in our cold room, but I suppose MtnDon is right - I probably couldn't can enough to make much difference.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 09:41

Quoting: hattie
I probably couldn't can enough to make much difference.

unless you add alcohol to the water. then you won't care if it makes a difference or not.

but a rain water cistern is probably a better idea. i imagine the auzzies have quite a few practical ideas about dealing with hot temps and drought.

one technique I noted recently to keep water fresh is to put an air bubbler in. hooked up to a small solar panel and run during the day might be enough. and a simple sand filter for water does wonders according to the UN.

Steve_S
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 10:45

Here is a good article from Ready GOV on Water storage _AND_ a link to the Red Cross Food & Water in Emergencies PDF Doc which has many good tips & suggestions.

There is a LOT of information out there, some of which can be a tad dubious. Stick to Credible and appropriate sources for life essentials (survival) info.

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 11:31

Might be a good idea to monitor your well level Hattie if you aren't already. Mine is deep, I have an old deep sea fishing reel with a brass plumb bob on the end of it I can drop down and see the level. Doing something similar once a month or two would tell you in advance if your shallow well is approaching the danger zone.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 12:40

Thanks for all of these great ideas!! I'll check out those links Steve_S and see what else I can find out.
bldginsp - We haven't checked our water levels yet but I'm sure Bob will be out there within the next day or so to see how things are doing. Our well has a concrete lid and we have a pulley system set up in the shed to lift it, but it is a major ordeal to get it off.
I haven't heard of anyone's wells going dry yet, but many are predicting August will be the month as that is normally our driest month. Since the water levels are down this early, they figure by August there might not be anything left. I hope we get some rain soon.

neb
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 13:19

Yes I would think most that live in isolated areas would have the same or extended concerns. Rivers are still high here but is very hot and dry for this time of year. Water is always a concern but fire is more of a concern for me.

July is coming and starting to play her song (hot and dry).

upndown
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 19:33

Water seems to be OK at my place..So Far! But Fire tensions are running pretty high, considering the Tragedy that occurred up there a couple years ago!! Best of luck to all.

Just
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 22:45

It occurred to me that most of the threads here are about our struggles with nature[ or ] our enjoyment of it .. Poor city folk..

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 22:48

we have water but the state forestry service just placed signs all over that we arent to use our chainsaws or smoke outside and this and that. a list of course cause it is wildfire season.
i am so grateful we have water but i have not thought of saving any as of yet.
i have seen where u can preserve water by canning it.
sort of a good idea.
its gonna be 96 here on wed.and 100 degrees on thursday and friday...

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 00:11 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: Just
It occurred to me that most of the threads here are about our struggles with nature[ or ] our enjoyment of it .. Poor city folk..

I have to agree. I think a lot of the people on this site are able to adapt/deal with and overcome things that other folks might have a panic attack over.
For example, I went to check the mail the other day, and a tree had fallen across the driveway. Most people, would have more than likely freaked out, and said, "Oh my god, there's a tree blocking the driveway!" Then would panic looking through the yellow pages for a tree service or a certified arborist to remove the natural obstruction preventing them from checking if there was a possible delivery in their mailbox from a duly appointed civil servant of the United States Postal Service.
I myself said, " Hell Ya! Tree down. That's it, now I gotta turn around and get the chainsaw!" That tree might've been the only giant Redwood tree in the Midwest! ( Probably 10 inches in diameter! OK maybe not a Redwood, however......)
Then, determined more than ever, I, one man alone, got the chainsaw and quickly and efficiently removed the natural obstruction mother nature had decided to test my intestinal fortitude and manly ( super ruggedness skills)with.
After risking life and limb, I finally made it to my postal depository, only to find it filled with junk mail and a bill from my doctor!😷💀
But if only by the grace of god, buried within a mountain of junk mail I found a letter saying that I am lucky enuff to be pre- approved for a credit card from Capitol One at the low introductory interest rate of 29% ( plus annual fee )😨
I would bet you no city slicker's got a story like that ! God I love living' in the sticks!!!!!!! I was so amped up after that, I went home and fed the chickens AND did the dishes too!
Picture0626151033_1..jpg
Picture0626151033_1..jpg
Picture0626151034_1..jpg
Picture0626151034_1..jpg

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 07:29

Quoting: darz5150
I would bet you no city slicker's got a story like that ! God I love living' in the sticks!!!!!!! I was so amped up after that, I went home and fed the chickens AND did the dishes too!

Hahahahaha SERIOUSLY !!! I'm laughing so hard, my gut hurts ! hehehe... INDEED.

hattie
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 12:15 - Edited by: hattie

We're singin' in the rain right now. It has been raining steadily since about 4 am and oh how wonderful it is. No thunder. No lightning. Just a steady, beautiful, cooling rain! Hallelujah!!!

darz5150 - that is a funny story about the tree down! We get that all the time here. Trees and rocks. Sometimes driving the road into town to shop is like an obstacle course dodging the rocks on the road and those still coming down. The last car we bought, the salesman tried to sell us one with a moon roof (or whatever they are called). I said "are you kidding?! With all the rocks coming down on the road!! It wouldn't last a week before it got smashed."

Country living is so good! But it is important to be prepared for shortages and our dry spell brought that home to me. The pdf link posted by Steve_S is really good and I would recommend printing it (I did) for future reference.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.