Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / eating raw
creeky
# Posted: 27 Jul 2015 09:45

I just wondered how many people are eating raw?

I do some wild harvest. and recently met a woman who makes her living doing wild harvest. so have been learning a bit about it. that along with my ex. she studied nutrition and got me onto a "raw" foods thing. i have to say it sure cleared out the beer belly.

tho with age I don't drink as much either.

still. I noticed I've eaten a raw meal out of the garden for the last week every day. in part because I have a profusion of yellow beans and they are just so sweet and tasty.

so, in my meandering fashion, many folks out there eating raw? anything counts. salads. fruit.

strawberry/jalapeno salsa with corn and tomatoes ...

Bret
# Posted: 27 Jul 2015 12:47

My wife is into raw foods big time.

Not much of a garden this year so we support the local farmers markets and csa's. I guess I'm more of an omnivore, but I sure do like fresh veges just on the slightly warmed side, not mushy and over cooked.

Another thread here told about the can cooker and we have one now. Great way to cook without losing all the nutrition.

Any how, raw is best.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Jul 2015 19:21

Always been big salad and fruit fans. Almost every meal. I do a double take when someone says they don't eat the stuff. WHAT? It's just everyday normal here. Lunch is usually fruit, cheese, yogurt, some crackers.
There was a time in my life back when I worked that I'd go buy soup and sandwich every day for lunch just to get away from the routine.
That was also the time in my life where I had a 38" waist and was pushing the scale into overdrive.
I'd like to eat more, not necessarily raw, but steamed or blanched veggies to the diet. You pour all the nutrients down the drain when you cook veggies.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 23:37

one time a while back.quite a while back.i went raw foodist.
i loved it.i walked and walked and lost 80 pounds in 5 months.
i was old but it was like i had a new body.no pains.
it was wonderful except those times when it was thanksgiving and everyone was eating turkey and cooked goodies and i wasnt.
then everyone would go outside.the whole family smokes.i gave it up quite a while before i went raw foodist.i bought tons of raw foodist cookbooks.
i juiced me and Gary O lots of beets,apple and carrot juices.i made a raw foodist lasagna.oh heavenly to me.
i would make an apple pie raw foodist fashion.killer good.
and bread.
oh yum.i still love that bread.
u sprout sprouts and grind them up in your food processor.make a round shape of bread.now being a raw foodist...how do u cook bread.u can cook.if i remember right...nothing over like 112 degrees .i cooked my first loaves of bread.oh it was so sweet.just grounded up sprouts.
next time i cooked my bread in my food dryer.
i still love raw foodist recipes and ideas.
right now we are eating big huge raw salads most nites.
so good.
i could hook up my juicer and juice some kale to drink.
its a good way to go.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 06:47 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: cabingal3
i still love raw foodist recipes and ideas.

Yeah, I remember that era.

You made 'lasagna'.
Looked like lasagna.
Smelled like...nothing.
Had even less taste.

I'd get home...ravenous.
Dinner was already ready.
'What's cookin', good lookin'?'
There you'd be, crunching away on some raw vegetable concoction....nose twitching.

I'd look in the fridge
Veggie hell
Grass clippings looked more appealing (tasted better too).

I developed a habit of stopping at 7-11 after work and scarfing down a couple three of those greeezy taco wrap thingys, spinning away on those hot rollers, smelling heavenly.

Get home

'how's about some soup?' (cold 'soup')
There you'd be, sipping that insipid glop
'naw, baby, I think I'll just fast tonight....'

Most weekends was dedicated to involuntary weeping during sporting events.

Yeah, I remember those days.

The walking
The freaking walking

Your route was over hill and dale...around entire cities

And when it rained, you had that video of that abnormally happy, gleeful lady with the same crazed look in her eyes that you had, walking in place, high stepping, cheering you on.

And that one time you managed to get me to join you after I made a comment on what a sissy way to exercise.
And after one point five minutes of striding in place, reeling, heaving, sweating profusely, collapsing back into the lazyboy, darn near passing out from the wicked combination of exhaustion and malnourishment.

Yeah, I remember those days.

Thank you, creeky.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 07:00

Quoting: creeky
I just wondered how many people are eating raw?

well last night I cooked a venison meatloaf /fried fresh okra/ fresh butter beans cooked half the day on low... and cornbread in a iron skillet & sweet tea

BUT~i had RAW sliced maters/ RAW sliced onions/ RAW banana peppers as sides......does that count

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 07:00

http://www.food.com/recipe/essene-bread-raw-sprouted-bread-324437
yum.

moregon
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 14:49

Gary O, you are so funny!

Turkeyhunter....IMHO? Oh, it counts!

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 22:28

I invested in a good sauté pan and use that to cook some veggies like broccoli and cabbage. Make a sauce with oyster sauce or soy or some such with a little corn starch to thicken it. The vitamins don't go down the drain like they do with steaming.

I have lettuce smoothies for lunch often. Half a head of romaine, or less, orange juice, cantaloupe, banana, strawberries, frozen blueberries or whatever you got. Just make sure you got some sweet fruit in there. A dolup of protein powder and some flax seed, blend it all up. Don't knock it til you try it.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 01:26

I just ate some redwood sorels today... Yum, just like granny smith apples.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 04:46

we had a banana with some peanut butter on it for breakfast yesterday.
then for lunch we had watermelon and for dinner a chicken salad with lots of veggies in it.
we just seem to eat differently in the woods.i guess easy is the order of the day.

Brknarow
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 09:58 - Edited by: Brknarow

I've been enjoying tomato sandwiches during the summer months and I've mostly replaced potato chips with cottage fries. I also used chard as a lettuce green until the summer bitter set in but now I'm forced to steam or boil it. Beans also fill a large bit of my diet.

I've managed to replace one or two meals each day with three 4X4 square foot garden beds and I'm not using those to their full potential.

I'm working more, for the time being, to reduce cost rather than for health reason, but I think this will synchronize over time.

>edit< After considering all the other comments; I've added a few other raw friendly vegetables to my seed order list for next spring. Cucumbers, carrots, real lettuce (although I'll have to add rabbit to my diet if the situation is the same as when last I grew lettuce , radishes, and such. Good, thought provoking, thread. Thanks for posting.

bobrok
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 10:03

This was in our news the other day.
Seems like a perfect fit for a small cabin existence.

URL

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 13:29

We eat some raw veggies, but jaw issues of mine preclude too much.

However, every day begins with a smoothie..... organic grapes, kale and/or spinach, carrot, banana, broccoli. If you use one of the "super" blenders like Vitamix or Blendtec, you end up with an extremely smooth mixture. No veggie fragments at all.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 19:04

Somebody said peanut butter!!!!

I eat that raw!!!

Also really love salads.

Craig

SandyR
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 23:13

I eat mostly raw for health concerns. There is not much I eat cooked unless you count oatmeal. But then I put raw honey on it. I eat mostly just veggies and some fruits. No dairy. I love raw potatoes with sea salt.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Aug 2015 10:43

some good stuff here.

I can't run a vitamix. it's the one device I found that won't run on my solar system. however a nutribullet pro does almost as good a job and it was 1/5th the cost and runs off my grid. whew. 'cause I use it almost every day.

heading to the farmer's market in a bit. summer savory for ham soup and now cucumbers on the list. anybody want some yellow beans? I have three plants and i can't keep up with one.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.