Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Computer ? (Java update)
neb
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 21:12

Java update wants me to update Java. I do know Java has some value but it I do update I get some other add on that I don't like. I can't think of the name but it consists of ads and things like that.

Question do I update or just keep saying no?

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 21:25

Simply put, Java is a programming framework required by some applications on your computer. As with other components, it should be kept up to date, at least for security reasons.

FYI, this website does not require Java.

neb
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 21:33 - Edited by: neb

Thanks Sir! I appreciate your help.

I also get this thing called "Slim Cleaner Update" what do I do with this. This all started when I downloaded W 10. Thank you.

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 08:10

Only install & update JAVA from the official Oracle Site. If ANY website that you visit prompts you to update anything DON'T as 99% of those Site Pushed "updates" are not what they appear to be. This is the place: https://java.com/en/

neb
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 14:38

Steve_S /CabinBuilder >>>thanks for your help I really do appreciate it very much. Oracle Site is who asks to update but I didn't know if it was good or bad. Thanks again.

As for "Slim Cleaner Update" I went and uninstalled this. I did do a little research and some say it is fine and others say don't use it. I got rid of it.

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 17:31

I use two products and have for many years... CCleaner & Speccy. The free versions work great no problems and the commercial versions have some really handy goodies. We have used them @ DND (military) and in various government sites... no phooey included with these tools.

These tools are available from http://www.piriform.com/.

I dunno if you watch a lot of videos via your computer, be aware that Flash Player (various versions) often hook onto you Java and the potential for nefariousness is there. I use VLC for video and it does pretty much every format, including flash.

Good Luck & Have Fun

neb
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 17:44

Steve_S >>outstanding and thank you very much.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.