Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Xmas Drones??
. 1 . 2 . >>
MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Dec 2015 13:36 - Edited by: MtnDon

Anybody get a drone for Christmas? One big enough to require registration? No, I did not.

Looks like this means we need to register R/C fixed wing aircraft too.

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Dec 2015 17:19

I bought my 23 yr old son one. They are a blast!! We had it out front last night doing flips with it... He loved it.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 26 Dec 2015 19:36

I no longer have one, sold it at the yard sale (along with all firearms, different thread) to avoid government registration, which by the way is an FAA regulation... Not a law passed by congress.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 01:02

I'm sure if we got one the neighbours would have fun trying to shoot it down

Jebediah
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 07:09

Are the Retailers required to have the purchaser fill out any paperwork? And send that info to whom ever.

I have always been fascinated with RC planes. I don't think the eagles or osprey would like me flying one of these drones at the lake.

It would be interesting to view deer or coyotes moving about, which brings me to another point, would these ever be allowed to locate deer or moose etc. for the purpose of hunting? I know in many places A/C are not to do this but we all know there are unethical hunters/ guides that "spot moose on the way into camp" or "during a resupply run".

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 09:59

Quoting: Jebediah
Are the Retailers required to have the purchaser fill out any paperwork? And send that info to whom ever.

Looks like you register online. No actual paper.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 11:55

We will get one when the price drops. We want a drone with HD Video.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 16:54

Personally, I'm not crazy about the idea of everyone and their brother having something substantial with a camera that they can fly around other people's properties to see what's up. I have nothing to hide but it seems like it could be an invasion of privacy and peace in the wrong hands.

Glad I'm building "legal" because, otherwise, some buttinsky with a drone could cause issues. And people being what they are, that thought isn't a "flight of fancy," shall we say.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 18:05

People are innocent until proven guilty. Freedom is about having the right to do things unless those rights are abuse (act irresponsibly), or infringe on the rights of others.

As they say.... Molon Labe

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 18:12 - Edited by: Steve_S

Anyone seen plans for home made ack ack ? LOL,
Drone Hunting beginning soon on The Adventure Channel, hahaha

I miss the good ol days when I tinkered with RC Aircraft...

Edit, PS:
I was thinking of Paintball guns and stuff...

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 18:42

RichInTheUSA
A lot of people can't seem to help themselves, re: infringing on the rights of others. They soon get bored with using things innocently and have to up the ante, go rogue, test the limits, and branch out into other people's lives. Hence all of the silly warning labels on even simple products for liability purposes -- companies have to discern how people might do stupid things with their products and even the packaging, injure themselves or others, and then try to sue the company. Defending themselves against even frivolous lawsuits costs them a lot of money so they try to nip it in the bud.

I don't have a rosy view of humanity, unfortunately (or not, lol). Maybe because of my previous experience as a journalist, I've seen how awful, self-centered, and impulsive people can be and the problems this can cause. Many think that their "freedom" to do what they want trumps everyone else's rights and freedom. They want the freedom but don't seem to understand that with freedom comes responsibility.

I just hope not to have my peace disturbed and my privacy intruded on by people flying drones above my land and cabin. That would totally suck. My land abuts BLM land which is open to the public for recreation.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 18:51

We have ten thousand feet of lake frontage and 220 acres of property we plan to videograph and take photos of. We have no plans to "snoop" on other land owners property.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 19:04

I agree... people need to take responsibility for their actions. I understand your point, and hope that others do as well.... people need to understand why we have laws and penalties, and that their actions have consequences. Many products have warnings so that people use them appropriately.... it's then *each persons* responsibility to use them responsibly or not.

However, when you take liberty and freedom away from all people because some might abuse the rights of others (and there will be some that do)... the we all live in an oppressed state.

Take drunk driving... when a car wreck happens... it's not an "accident", it's an "on purpose". However, we neither prevent all people from drinking, nor do we prevent all people from driving cars. There are limitations on both (age, and licenses) which are used to manage the risks....

The question becomes... when does protecting society as a whole infringe on the rights of those who have done nothing wrong?

It's a balance.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 19:06

I guess registration is like all the labels you mentioned.... they are not going to prevent people from doing what they are going to do.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 19:07

silverwaterlady
That's good. But do you think that the average drone purchaser has 220 acres of property? I think not. Since they were a hot Christmas item, I'd imagine that a sizable percentage are city/suburbs residents who will bring them out to the country to fly, at some point. And many more others live in subdivisions with a couple of acres or less.

I already know that there's a buttinsky in the subdivision where my land is. He surfaced in another forum complaining about California people moving in, people not building strictly according to the regs, and saying that he watches these things. I really hope he didn't get a freaking drone for Christmas! But, if he did, I will be sure to set up some "interesting" things for him to see, hahahaha.

Jebediah
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 19:20 - Edited by: Jebediah

Quoting: silverwaterlady
We have ten thousand feet of lake frontage and 220 acres of property we plan to videograph and take photos of. We have no plans to "snoop" on other land owners property.

There is a company here in Nova Scotia that offers their drone service to realtors. I have only seen large rural /remote properties advertised this way.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 20:23

Majority of drones being sold are pretty short duration flights of five minutes and limited altitude. Plus you pretty much need to see them to fly them.
There are far more sophisticated units out there but they cost thousands and take a higher degree of skill to fly.
I think drones are a bigger worry in suburbia then the woods.
Or at least the present cheaper models

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Dec 2015 17:33 - Edited by: MtnDon

The registration fee is refundable if a person registers before midnight Jan 20th. It is only $5 and one registration lets you operate as many unmanned aircraft as you want, in that 0.55 lb to 55 lb range (250 grams to 25 Kg). The rules also don't require you to have a UAS in order to register. So, if you planned on getting a UAS sometime in the future, there is nothing to stop you registering and getting the refund right now. Just file the number away for future use.

I see there are also kits and bare frames, motors, etc available for those who like to tinker......

copperhead1971
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 09:27

sounds like a good time to brush up on your skeet shooting abilitys lol

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I just hope not to have my peace disturbed and my privacy intruded on by people flying drones above my land and cabin. That would totally suck. My land abuts BLM land which is open to the public for recreation.

Mike from pa
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 20:16

Heres a couple minute video I took at our place this past fall with my DJI Phantom 2

URL

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 21:33

Cool. Thanks. The DJI's are nice

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 1 Jan 2016 14:23

Here are two videos.... One of my cabin property, and another of my suburban home. Note that you can't see in anyone's windows, and no privacy was infringed. Responsible use of drones is possible without registration to the nanny state. ;)

Cabin property: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N-N6tPM9A

Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_HN-y1RQDo

In the video of the cabin property... the video stream was being sent to my phone and then recorded. In the suburban vid, the video was being captured in a USB drive.... thus the quality was better.

Enjoy...

Bevis
# Posted: 1 Jan 2016 23:54

Gonna get a DJI P3 either advance or pro model. Flew my neighbors sons today, after he flew it a mile down to the river and back.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 01:26

Quoting: copperhead1971
sounds like a good time to brush up on your skeet shooting abilitys lol

If drones start flying about my land, yes indeed!

paulz
# Posted: 17 Jan 2020 10:20

What's the news on drones these days? Guy came out to my property and flew one around taking pictures, pretty neat.

Do they all come with cameras? Do they all need to be registered? Where to prices start for one with a camera? Anything else they are good for? Can I fly one into the kitchen for a bag of Cheetos?

darz5150
# Posted: 17 Jan 2020 23:20 - Edited by: darz5150

Paulz.
Now even some of the kiddie drones have cameras.
I started off with a beginner drone. Learned how to fly and not to fly. Lol.
Get a cheap one with extra batteries. And a micro sd card. And you'll have a blast!
I have since upgraded my micro air force with more advanced drones. You can see a couple pics on my New Bridge post.
Quoting: paulz
Anything else they are good for?

I use mine to find where the deer have been hanging out and like a mobile security cam to see if anyone has been trail riding on our property.
Quoting: paulz
Can I fly one into the kitchen for a bag of Cheetos?

I never did cheetos. But with the beginner drone, I can safely fly it under and around our gazebo and blow the potato chips off someones plate while BBQing.😱😎
Not so much with the other bigger drones. They will chop you up.
None of mine have to be registered with the FAA.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jan 2020 00:33

If a drone weighs more than 0.55 lb. and is used just for personal recreational use it must be registered with the FAA.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 18 Jan 2020 11:36

I know that I I don’t care for them flying around above me. And no mechanical or electronic assistance is legal when hunting. There is a concept that hunting should be fair chase.

darz5150
# Posted: 18 Jan 2020 14:00

Quoting: Aklogcabin
And no mechanical or electronic assistance is legal when hunting.

So no firearms, trail cams, compound or cross bows, no motorized vehicles to get you and your kill in or out. No walkie talkies, no gps, no cell phones?
Quoting: Aklogcabin
There is a concept that hunting should be fair chase

So when you hunt. You walk there and fairly kill the animal with your bare hands?
FYI. I dont use them for hunting. Unless you consider shooting wildlife with a camera is morally incorrect. Lol.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 19 Jan 2020 09:48

Jeezzh, no drones can not be used to spot game. Sorry about the confusion darz.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.