Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / The Ingenious Design of the Aluminum Beverage Can
MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 11:47

https://youtu.be/hUhisi2FBuw

buckybuck
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 12:52

Geez, this is like watching a movie about my life. I can remember the flat top cans from my college days, by cracky, when we'd punch the first hole, hold the can inverted above our mouth, and then punch the second hole. Kids today have to use a funnel and hose to get the same effect.

And how many of you can remember almost swallowing a pull top at some point in your misspent youth? You can thank Ermal Fraze for inventing both the pull top and pull-back tab. He died in 1989, but his little machine shop is still in operation a couple of blocks from my home.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 13:22

AMAZING!!!! Who'd a thunk so much science in one little can!! Thanks for posting this!!!

yesiam
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 16:08

I love videos like that. I remember well the pull tops of the past. While I cannot take credit for it we would make up gag gifts. This was the time of the Carter presidency and the short-lived introduction of the president's infamous brother Billy and Billy Beer. We would take a pull top from a beer can, fold it over into the pull ring part, insert a penny and voila....people would ask what's that....the answer of course was....it's a Jimmy Carter dollar in a Billy Carter money clip.

DaveBell
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 16:58 - Edited by: DaveBell

Flat top from 1950 I think.
002.JPG
002.JPG

beachman
# Posted: 9 Jan 2016 17:17

We can all thank Jimmy Buffet for cutting his heel on a poptop for the new designs. We used to put the poptops in the cans and call them "governors". Occasionally, you might choke on one.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.