Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Vinton County Ohio Hardware Store Fire
SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 10:27

http://www.vintoncourier.com/news/standard-hardware-fire-update-cause-still-unknown-o fficials-pledge-help/article_e1154c9d-49e4-5bd2-92a3-6a8a159e48b8.html?mode=jqm

Sad. One of the places that I would stop with each cabin visit. I doubt they'll reopen. There is a bigger hardware store in Jackson Co, but it isn't as convenient for me... Will have to plan in advance a bit more thoroughly now...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 12:19

sad to see this happen to old hardware store. We were talking about the OLD COUNTRY STORES the other day....most in my area are gone by the way of Convenience stores

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 14:27

Very unfortunate. When we go up to the cabin we hit up a small town on the way and really enjoy going into the smaller mom and pop businesses.

buckybuck
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 15:17

Too bad about McArthur losing yet another staple store.

However, in addition to housing the only religious-themed liquor store I've ever been in, the Cross Creek General Store near Allensville (eight miles west of McArthur) has some hardware supplies. It's saved me several times, albeit not in the Biblical sense.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 16:56

Ugh, I know that stinks. Vinton's resources are scarce as it is. I'm at lowes at least every other trip to our cabin.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 08:13

Buckybuck,

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the place. I think that might be near the Double D Ranch, a business whose name got my attention until I found out it wasn't marketing what I thought it was...

buckybuck
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 08:53

It is. Also near there is the Club Vinton, an establishment I literally was too scared to go into even back in the 1970's when I'd go past it on my way to college in Athens, Ohio. My son finally talked me into going there a couple of years ago. What a surprise! Great food, moonlighting OU coeds for bartenders, Karaoke on Thursdays. Now, if you turn off onto SR 683 just past Club Vinton, you'll see the sign for a business called "We Do Odd & Shitty Jobs". My guess is they're honey dippers and handymen, but I've never stopped to check.

rmak
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 11:03

Man, I hate to see the old stuff go. If anyone gets up to NE Ohio let me recommend Lehman's in Kidron and Hartville Hardware in Hartville. Unfortunately, both have become a little more modern over time and a little touristy. But both came from old school hardware store roots and have some great stuff. Lehman's has a wonderful woodstove and alternative fuel appliance sections to serve the Amish population in the area. Well worth a day trip to see.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 11:25

In the Adirondack Mountains of NY the two staple vendors are Old Forge hardware and Hoss's Country store. They are both landmark places that have served generations of visitors, campers and cabins. if either of these went away I'm sure emotions would run over.

For my cabin there's Nunda Lumber. This place blows away the big box stores in quality and service. Imagine pulling 20 straight 2 x 4s from a stack and everyone of them being good. Or talking to someone that actually did know more than you.

Lumber yards are always a risky operation in that they deal with combustibles being wood. many a lumber yard has gone down in flames. in fact, a year ago they lost a small out building to fire but fortunately it didn't spread

VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 13:53

Sad to hear about the hardware.

I have been to the Cross Creek store and have purchased some hardware stuff there. They do have the basics and a little more.

Buckbuck - I haven't heard or seen much of you lately. Nice cabin by the way. You need to stop up and see my place soon. I am with you in regards to Club Vinton. I am scared to go in it but now that you said it isn't bad, I will have to check it out sometime.

rmak - I have been to Lehmans up there and it is a great place. A lot of stuff. My family goes there once a year when we go to visit Amish country and actually this year they were celebrating there 60 year anniversary. With the anniversary celebration, they were giving 30% off everything in the store so we took advantage of that and bought our propane lights for the cabin.

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 14:03 - Edited by: bobrok

Quoting: hueyjazz
In the Adirondack Mountains of NY the two staple vendors are Old Forge hardware and Hoss's Country store. They are both landmark places that have served generations of visitors, campers and cabins. if either of these went away I'm sure emotions would run over.

Man, +1 on these two places.

I'd also add the independent hardware store in Long Lake, Northern Borne. They're a convenient place if you don't want to drive 20 - 40 miles.

Alas, it's been for sale for a couple years now. I'd hate to see it close if Dave the owner can't sell it.

rmak
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 15:28

Yamaharider,
Next time you go up to Lehman's there is a Amish/Menonite diner a few stores down, in the basement. Best open face roast beef sandwich, and then get the apple dumpling with ice cream. You won't be disappointed!

buckybuck
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 18:43

Quoting: VC_YamahaRider
Buckbuck - I haven't heard or seen much of you lately. Nice cabin by the way. You need to stop up and see my place soon.

Funny story we should share sometime with the folks here about how long it took us to figure out that we were cabin neighbors. Literally--our properties abut each others.

I am anxious to see your build. Will get with you when the weather changes.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 17:23

http://www.vintoncourier.com/news/standard-hardware-owner-arrested-for-store-s-januar y-fire/article_207a7526-a483-5e21-8ee7-17268a4c6838.html?mode=jqm

Hardware store owner arrested. Several fates may have been sealed...

Smawgunner
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 21:17

Bad economy in that area,...makes people desperate.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.