Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Knife talk
. 1 . 2 . >>
pizzadude
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 00:43

This is generally something only men talk about, but if there are any knife-wielding women, please chime in..
I'm wondering about the style of knife(brand, model, etc) you use on a regular basis, or the many different kinds you might have for different applications. And how do you keep them sharp?
From Bear Grylls to Benchmade..
What do you have and for what purpose?
Anyone use a Lansky sharpener? Anything better?
Please share..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 06:07 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I have LOTS of knives.....I have a lot of the knives I had in my youth as well.
Lots of custom knives...one I wanted growing up~~~ I got about 12 years ago a RANDALL http://www.randallknives.com/catalog-models/
the wait time for you of these is yearS!!!

I have friend I have known since I was 18 ~he is 72 and builds custom knives....I he has built me 7 of these so far...I have 4 on order with him now. 3 for my GRANDboys ranging in age from 2 to 5....these will go in the safe and they will get them when they turn 18...I hope I am here to give them to them!~~~LOL

I pick up knives at yard sales and estate sale as well. I like Casexx /Old Timer / Queen steel....those were my favorite growing up.

I want none from China...

I love hatchets as well...have lots of them too!!!

1300_stainless
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 08:00

I picked up one of these about a year ago.

http://www.swissarmy.com/ca/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Outdoor-Repairs/Huntin g/One-Hand-Trekker-Camo-NS/54878

If I'm wearing real pants, then it's on my person. It has been an amazing investment and gets used all the time. I have lots of others, but this one has earned it's place.

rmak
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 08:58

I love knives too. I have collected a bunch over the years in all configurations. Some are pricy but they are still in the box. My daily carry is an inexpensive Dewalt folding knife that locks open with a serrated edge on half the blade. It has a window breaker which might come in handy because of all the flooding.. I sharpen it with a pocket sharpener by Smith. I don't baby it. It always does the job. And if it gets lost or breaks I'll just buy another.

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 10:00

pretty much my everyday carry for convenience in a small package. My wife got this for me direct from the Swiss Army factory probably 20 years ago. At the time, that was the only way you could get a black one. Not sure if that is still the case, and they engraved my name on it.

Outdoor days can have a variety depending on what I'm up to.
IMG_20160118_095458..jpg
IMG_20160118_095458..jpg

Don_P
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 10:28 - Edited by: Don_P

Most of the steel I collect is in woodworking tools, old mortising chisels, adzes and axes, nothing takes an edge like old high carbon steel IMO.

Grandad's Old Hickory butcher knife still sees daily use. His folding case is a treasure I need to pass on. He broke a tip and resharpened it, the main blade is worn thin, but it'll shave and has 3 generations of wear. Unlike dozens of others I can't lose it, it always finds its way back home.

Fishhog- I worked in an outdoor shop probably more like 35 years ago while on the mend. That looks like a knife he was carrying during that time. IIRC there are or were 2 competing claimants to the swiss army name, I can't remember the details now or which one we were carrying. We had a little case of toothpicks, tweezers and parts for them in the shop.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 11:14

I always carry a folding Remington single blade knife on me whether I'm at work or at home. Comes in handy for so many things. It was only about $40. I misplaced it a couple years ago so my wife bought me the same one again. Well didn't I find the old one, now I have two! I also have a multi function Swiss Army knife I won as a prize for best attendance at cub scouts when I was a kid. My dad gave me a small pocket knife that was his fathers and I have my mother's father's knife as well. I will give these to my son someday too.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 11:16

Leatherman multi-tool, as well as several Bucks. Swiss Army knives use a softer steel that doesn't hold an edge as long as harder steel, but hard steel is more brittle and can break if used incorrectly as a prying tool. Swiss blades will bend before they break.

For sharpening I have a small strap belt sander. By far the easiest way to get a very sharp edge. I bought this one and it's okay, there are others

http://www.theedgemasters.com/Knife-Sharpening-System.html

Borrego
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 11:20

What a coincidink! I also collect knives, mostly just for fun, although I have some nicer pieces as well. My favorite is an old Buck folder in a leather sheath. My EDC (particularly in the desert while at cabin) is a basic Leatherman with knife and needlenose pliers (for pulling cactus )
Nothing as purty as Damascus Steel is there?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 13:17 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Being in the "the biz" I sell a few different lines and find that MoraKniv of Sweden is the best value going. I use the Companion MG Heavy Duty and Bushcraft Force when up at the cabin. Svord Peasant Knives are also very cool.

For city life EDC it's a Kershaw Oso-Sweet.

My go-to machete is the Kershaw Camp 14. Cheap but sharp as BLEEP (I have the scar to prove it lol), full tang and comes with a decent sheath.

SteveN
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 14:52

I have a Buck 112 that for over 30 years that has been my "go to" knife for just about any general purpose cutting I've had to do. The blade seems to hold an edge quite well, it feels nice in my hand, and I like the weight of it. I've never used anything but a simple whetstone to sharpen it.

Don_P
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 19:14

For sharpening I use a white friable grinding wheel for any fine edge tool that has a nick, and a very light touch.
from there I go to a diamond whetstone, I've got natural and composite stones but the diamond works well for me. From there on the other side of the grinder I have a hard muslin wheel charged with emery that I polish the whetted edge with, seems to make a stronger smoother edge. It also begins to "color" the metal, the next step in polishing would be something like rouge on a hard felt wheel to bring up a mirror polish.

manny
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 19:33

My favorite.
Picture_283.jpg
Picture_283.jpg

manny
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 19:34 - Edited by: manny

Does a good job,On a moose or deerLOL
Picture_284.jpg
Picture_284.jpg

leonk
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 21:58

as a hunter, outdoorsman (duh!) and woodworker I have a thing for sharp objects - knives, axes, saws, chisels etc I try to keep the collection under control though, I sell things once in a while and try not too get too many new toys.
My recent favorite is Mora in SS. I got it for $8 and I am not worried I will lose it. I lose my EDC knives once in a while. I lost Kershaw last year. Now I carry Chinese Spyderco, forgot the name. Some Chinese knives are very good, esp. for the money.
I got F1 knock off for $10-$15 last year.
I sharpen mostly by hand, but some swear by Apex.
I do have polishing wheel.
I also agree on old carbon steel, some of it is awesome.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 19 Jan 2016 20:07 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

YAKUT KNIVES... Secrets of the ancestors.

I dont know what shipping cost but these knives run around $100 out of Siberia.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/f0197-forging-knives-like-our-ancestor s-secrets-of-the-yakutian-blades/

https://youtu.be/L0i6HadA3n8

Eddy G
# Posted: 19 Jan 2016 20:54

I'm currently carrying a Spyderco Salt. I have couple different versions and switch back and fourth between them.
I have a few leatherman style tools but find them heavy on the hip.
Buck 110 was my knife of choice back in the day and I still have a few. One custom bone handle, polished half serrated half straight blade.... More knife than I need to carry these days but nice to have in garage or Cabin.

neb
# Posted: 19 Jan 2016 20:58 - Edited by: neb

Everyone knows what kind of knife this is right? I would like one of these knives. I want to try to make one someday. I was motivated about a year ago but didn't get it done but I will.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 19 Jan 2016 21:33

neb
RR spike.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 19 Jan 2016 21:38

Greetings to all. There's not a person on this forum who loves knives more than me. I'm a collector and want to personally thank pizzadude for starting this thread. I will post a few pictures of my favorites and some details about them. I will continue to appreciate the postings from others.

Craig

neb
# Posted: 19 Jan 2016 21:51

Salty Craig >>> yes I have always just liked them. I like hand made things like that. I have some knives I have made with deer horn handles. These knives I use when hunting and trapping.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Jan 2016 06:23

neb

I like your style. I'm with you!! The Rail Road spikes are really neat looking knives. I hear that they hold a nice edge. I haven't personally inspected one.

Eddy G
# Posted: 20 Jan 2016 08:57

While not a "knife" exactly this Buck froe comes in handy around the cabin and is made very very well.
0108WASB.jpg
0108WASB.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 20 Jan 2016 14:45

Quoting: neb
Everyone knows what kind of knife this is right? I would like one of these knives. I want to try to make one someday. I was motivated about a year ago but didn't get it done but I will.

cool, and would be a neat project, but a little heavy for daily carrying.

Topper
# Posted: 20 Jan 2016 15:04

Quoting: pizzadude
I'm wondering about the style of knife(brand, model, etc) you use on a regular basis, or the many different kinds you might have for different applications. And how do you keep them sharp?

Normally carry two or three knives -- a small Swiss Army on the key ring, a Case stockman style & sometimes a (heavier duty?), single blade folder.

However, in the kitchen, use Rapala filet knives more than anything else. A 4", a 6" & a 9" cover most uses.

Depending upon the steel -- use a carborandum or Arkansas whetstone. Diamond stones & for the filet knives the ceramic thing that comes with each knife.

leonk
# Posted: 21 Jan 2016 09:48

Quoting: OutdoorFanatic
YAKUT KNIVES... Secrets of the ancestors.

secrets of their ancestors.. bla-bla-bla
Siberia was never known for making good steel. Soviet regime killed any one who was good at anything. So, shop somewhere else.

Jebediah
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 08:05

Myself I'm partial to Scandinavian knives and I have many along with numerous combat knives but I always use my Scandic knives for skinning , butchering and utility. After using many other brands I always go back to my Scandinavian knives, Just to mention a few that I have; various models by Helle, Mattiini and Mora. Some I have had since the early 80's. I also use the CRKT Onion skinner and for birds and ducks I use the Laguiole folder.

As far as sharpening goes for someone who only sharpens their knives once or twice a year with very little use, any of the numerous stones will suffice as you really just want a sharp knife, for those of us that know the difference between sharp/utility and sharp/ butchering and use knives consistently for their intended purpose are more prone to go to a Diamond or Tri stone and then onto ceramics and stropping (leather) with different compounds.

For those that are novices Lansky sharpening products will remove all the guess work for you and some ceramic products already have all the angles worked out. If you want a slicing edge you have to use ceramics and or stropping, if not the minute you go to cut into something the fine jagged edges that have not been removed will just fold over and your knife will lose its effectiveness and you will have to work harder for cuts. For those that are interested ,if you want to create your own design(patina look) just use mustard.

Jebediah
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 09:14

Here are two knives which I've had for 40+ yrs. The first knife was a Christmas gift my Mother gave me I was about 12 years old. The second knife I found while hunting with my Father, if you know the model let me know or if you think it was hand made?
Old knives.
Old knives.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 27 Jan 2016 15:36

Ok guys and galls. I'm done plowing snow, so now I will show you some of my favorite knives in my collection. These knives are the ones that are to nice to use. I won't show them all at the same time. I plan to drag this out a while.

This is my David Yellowhorse Buck 110. It has a chip flint blade design,
Ironwood handle, turquoise bolsters, and a nickel silver quill in the handle. It is number 235 of only 250 made. David Yellowhorse is a real American Indian and designs truly unbelievable special edition knives. The quill on the handle is Bob Timberlakes signature. Bob was a renouned painter. This was from Bass Pro and was never advertised or in their catalogue. They put them in the display case and I was lucky enough to spot this one when there was only 3 left in the Country.

Salty Craig
Buck 110
Buck 110
Serial number
Serial number
Nickel Silver
Nickel Silver
David Yellowhorse beauty
David Yellowhorse beauty

neb
# Posted: 27 Jan 2016 17:50

That is a beautiful looking knife! I like hand made products each one is different in it's own way but still are alike. Very nice.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.