Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / GeoGuessr
MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Mar 2016 22:42

GeoGuessr is an online game, sort of. Yes GeoGuessr is short an "e". GeoGuessr uses Google Streetview. When you start a round it plops you down someplace where a Google streetview vehicle has traveled. It could be a remote cart trail in northern Scotland, the middle of the very desolate Atacama desrt or a busy street in Indonesia. The game is to figure out where you are, then mark your spot on the map and click "make Guess". GeoGuessr then calculates how many meters (yards), or KM you are from the actual spot the Google streetview recorded. Points are awarded. It can be fun and you get to travel and see various parts of the world.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 07:49

very cool... lots of fun. Most of the random pics i got were of rural countryside. I'll play this again.

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 08:03

I've been hooked on this game for a couple years now. It's tons of fun but I find it to be a little glitchy, especially on the map sizing controls.
You need fairly fast Internet hookup or it'll drive ya nuts waiting to advance your views. I was lucky enough to be able to use it while connected to a turbo road runner connection (70s and 80s MB download speeds vs std) and it was fun and quick.

MtnDon, tell me your experiences after you've used it a while.
I have another issue with it but I'd like to see what you (and others) have to say before I tell you my issue.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 18:04

I've completed about a dozen games of 5 sets per game. I do have a reasonably fast connection. I haven't run into any technical issues. A few times I have managed to go the wrong way down the road and run into the end of the road where Google streetview stopped. Frustrating a little. Pretty much just a lot of fun. I usually find myself plopped down in the countryside too. Very rural a lot. Though once in the middle of Jakarta, once in Amsterdam. It was cool finding some places I'd been there. (NL)

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 19:31

I'm going for the full Monty - 25000 points. So far my high score is 24945.
I used to play world but now I pretty much play just US.

What I seem to find is that after I've placed my guess with virtual certainty I've often been off my miles. I'm wondering if your guess pin needs to be placed on the point of beginning of the game rather than your current location on the map.

There have been many times when I've gotten right down to the street address or intersection and dropped my pin, only to find that I'm off by miles.

I often travel miles on the game before making my guess.
So I'm just wondering if you've noticed this.

Frustrating when you know your're right dead on target and Mr. Google says 'wrong'!

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 19:44

Ah! Now that you mention it I've seen that. Memory fails me at times. However I also have 3 perfect 5000's and those occurred after travelling some distance from the start. I'll have to keep a close eye on that.

Will keep that in mind and update if there's any news....

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 20:00

24834 best so far. The perfect 5000's were all on different games. Have had a few 49nn's too. It'll be a real treat to get 5 x 5000!!

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 20:12 - Edited by: bobrok

It would be nice if there were a 'contact' or forum to exchange talk about GeoGuessr. I've yet to find anything.

I'm hooked on this game despite the issues.

Heck, they even have a mobile app!

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 22:05

I played a few rounds tonight. I paid more attention to what was happening rather than just have fun chasing about the countryside. I am pretty sure you hit the nail on the head with, "I'm wondering if your guess pin needs to be placed on the point of beginning of the game rather than your current location on the map."

I searched for rules and found nothing. A few hits where people were theorizing on rules or explained their own set of rules.

Now that I think about this more, the rounds I scored 5000 on did not involve much travel at all. Like the game dropped me in Downieville, CA... There was a sign with the street names and another with something about Downieville school district. So that was my guess. Real luck.

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 22:52

Yeah, I just play a round and, believe it or not, I got dropped smack dab in the middle of an intersection of 1 US and 3 Alabama state routes. There were the signs right there in front of me. I didn't even have to click once. I found that intersection and dropped my pin on the map.

I was 90 yards off and only got 4999 points.

I'm angry.

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 15:43

Bumping this year old thread.

MtnDon, do you still play this game? I'm still hooked and honing my skills. Anything new on your end?

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 18:35

Every couple of weeks I use a few hours up with it. Bookmark is prominent on the Bookmark Bar. I have found myself in the most unexpected places. It is fun trying to "detective" your way to wherever you are.

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 18:56

I don't race against the clock, and I'm focused on the USA maps now. But, as we discussed earlier, your "guess" must be at the place where the map originally drops you, not where you currently are.
Today I got 24,997 points out of 25,000 max. Being off by a few yards will cost you dearly in points!
I've done fairly well on world maps, but trying to translate signs in Norway or Serbia can be just a bit intimidating.
Keep me posted on your results.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 19:30

I've tried Google to translate signs at times. I've been doing the EU for a while.

Do you ever find places you actually recognize, been there?

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 20:33

I'm in NYS and it's rare to have Google plop me anywhere around the northeast. That said, in one game today I found myself on Long Island (first time ever on this game) and then Google plopped me on the outskirts of a small town not 50 miles from where I live!
When you finish a round use the 'did you like this map' rating at the bottom. I think they use this info to generate more of the locations you like on future games.
Personally, I'm pretty tired of making my way through the Dakotas and Texas, so I'm going to see if my input helps.

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 20:58 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: bobrok
Today I got 24,997 points out of 25,000 max

Tied Ya' just now! It's going to be very difficult to beat that score.
GeoGeussr score!
GeoGeussr score!

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 20:40

I'm giving the nod to you, MtnDon. You're playing international and I scored on the US map.
Congratulations!!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.