Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Block & Tackle fence strtcher with grip?
neb
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 18:34 - Edited by: neb

Does anyone know how to rig this up to stretch wire. I know I need rope for the double block and the grip is used on the wire. I have used modern equipment to stretch up barb wire but not sure how it works. Thanks

Littlecooner
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 20:20

Looks like you need another block
wire_streacher.jpg
wire_streacher.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 20:30 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Neb---I really like the cool stretcher .....I love old farm tools.

we stretch ours with a tractor or UTV and a fence stretcher....

Note to Neb...leave that old fence alone!! You have turkeys to kill and fish to catch...LOL

old243
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 21:01

Neb , I think cooner is right , you need another block, rope etc. You can adjust the distance from this sheave, to the wire grip then by hooking the chain at the desired chain link, over the horn of the sheave. Nice old tools, I have a few in my shop as well.old243

neb
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 21:09 - Edited by: neb

Littlecooner >>> yep that is exactly what it is missing. I have two of these different but will see if I can make one out of two. Thank you.

TH>>> oh I'm a fence building son of a gun! I'm getting it set up and wire attached and setting some old cedar posts. It looked like heck and I don't want the wire to rust rot. I spent all morning cutting brush out in one spot where the fence travels through it. I only got up 400 to 500 feet but t looks better.

I walked down to the river and it is wide open today. So fishing is on the agenda. Turkey hunting is also on the agenda just haven't had time to go look for them yet. It doesn't start here till mid April We usually have snow to the knees at this time of year. Been watching some big bucks but nothing has dropped yet. I don't have time to get everything done. Lol

old243 >>> yep I see how it will work by hooking the chain in the anchor to hold it. What confused me was how it would work but now I see that I need one more block. Thanks and have you ever used yours old243?

old243
# Posted: 13 Mar 2016 19:24

I have used my rope blocks to stretch barbed wire lots of times. I had cattle so fence fixing was an ongoing thing.There is a type as well to stretch woven wire. There are two metal or wood bars that clamp or bolt over the wire Then two sets of pullers that anchor to a corner post. Don't know if this makes sense. Local co-op would lend them to you , if you bought a roll of fence from them. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.