Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / USB power adapters
paulz
# Posted: 18 Jun 2017 21:56

I'm using several of the 12VDC to USB car type adapters to power stuff. I have taken the batteries out of several 6v fans and LED lights and connected them to USB cables so I can run them off my common 12v cabin wiring. Works well but the adapters can get hot. Am I wasting power this way? Is there a better way?

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jun 2017 22:21

Heat from any device that is not meant to be a heater is wasting energy.

Many of the cheaper USB power adapters are energy wasters. I have a couple that get so hot they might be considered dangerous and I should probably toss them as I don't feel comfortable using them anyways. I have found that the Anker brand USB adapters run cooler. I also have a Blitzwolf that runs just a little warm. Both those brands were not real cheap.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jun 2017 09:58

Thanks. Are yours 12v to USB? I looked at the Anker web site and didn't see any. I'm thinking something like this.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 19 Jun 2017 17:10

Anker makes both wall type and car types. Link to website

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jun 2017 17:53

Thanks ICC, just bought one and a bunch of cables!

paulz
# Posted: 3 Jul 2017 19:05

Want to report back that this Anker USB adapter and the cables I bought are NICE stuff. I probably spent the $40 they cost me on dollar store junk that I've thrown away, not to mention the headache.

One other thing I noticed; the speaker I have plugged into the Anker adapter has lost the static it had when plugged into the cheapo adapter.

ICC
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 09:57 - Edited by: ICC

there's cheap & theres good.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 11:31

Good call on the Anker! I have a number of their USB C quick charging cables as well as USB 2.0 cables and adapters and they are great.

Keep an eye out for sales on Amazon. I'm there now and eyeing one of their smartphone battery chargers

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.