Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Thermos Tech!
paulz
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 20:17

Broke my trusty old thermos and switched to this thermos/carafe thing with a button on top, which works well for my one handed wife. But it keeps the coffee only marginally warm overnight. I was reading about thermoses, apparently there is supposed to be a vacuum between the glass and the outside cover? This one has a removable plug on the bottom which doesn't look particularly sealable, also a small screw just visible at the bottom on the side. Is there some way to create a vacuum in there?
1005170906.jpg
1005170906.jpg
1005170906a.jpg
1005170906a.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 09:37

realistically no, but you can try getting the entire thing as warm as you reasonably can, inside and out. The air in the gap will expand due to the heat. Put the screw in sealed well and as it cools it will make a bit of a vacuum.
I'm doubting that will be enough to make a large difference though.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 10:50

Thanks FH. I have an idea involving a shop vac. Be back soon..

SE Ohio
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 15:06

If you have a friend with a vacuum pump and bag (veneer guy?), you might try pulling a vacuum with the thermos and plug (loosely placed) inside vacuum bag. As the air evacuates, the plug will be pushed in. A little silicone sealant on the plug right before drawing vacuum might help?

SE Ohio

rockies
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 17:51

Rather than finding things to turn what you have into what you actually want why not buy a better thermos?

https://www.homegrounds.co/best-coffee-thermoses/

http://rainyadventures.com/best-thermos/

paulz
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 19:16 - Edited by: paulz

Well the plot thickened. Turns out the bottom of this comes off, and it was obviously not meant to hold a vacuum. However, through the judicious use of electrical tape, teflon tape and a rubber gasket, I think I sealed it up. Then, I put the shop vac on the top opening with the inner bottle loose and tightened the bottom cap, hopefully trapping a vacuum between bottle and cover. Will it work, probly not but it an interesting time waster. Coffee's been in there 6 hours, still hot, we'll see in the morning.
1006170916.jpg
1006170916.jpg

NorthRick
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 19:20

Quoting: rockies
Rather than finding things to turn what you have into what you actually want why not buy a better thermos?

What's the fun in that?

ICC
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 22:20 - Edited by: ICC

A proper thermos flask, or vacuum bottle, looks like this......
The vacuum is enclosed in between the double glass flask walls, sometimes s/s as in a Stanley.

link to page
thermos flask
thermos flask

paulz
# Posted: 7 Oct 2017 09:47 - Edited by: paulz

Coffee just lukewarm this morning, same as before. In case you're wondering, I like to bring the pot remainder from home to have some in the morning at the cabin before getting up to fire up the stove etc.. Yep, lazy.

ICC, I think mine might have a double wall bottle now that I look at that image.

Also reading the links Rockies provided, even the best ones say 24 hours max. Pretty sure my vacuum idea failed, I may try stuffing that area with insulation. If that also fails, maybe new thermos time.

Thanks for the replies.

Popeye
# Posted: 7 Oct 2017 19:52

Do you preheat the thermos?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Oct 2017 09:41

I'm done using a thermos at camp. Now using a airpot like the kind used in hotels. I purchased it at a online restaurant supply company so it's of a better quality.
Coffee stays hot longer because you are not opening the top to pour coffee.
I always preheat the pot.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Oct 2017 16:12

Popeye, no preheat so far but I will try that. The glass bottle in my thermous is double walled after all, and likely vacuum in the middle. The insulation I stuffed between the bottle and outside may help as well.

I looked at the airpots yesterday, tempting but a lot more to carry back and forth from home every time.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Oct 2017 17:22 - Edited by: paulz

Time for another thrilling installment of Paul's Hot Coffee Quest. I preheated the thermos yesterday, something I knew about doing but it takes so dang long to get hot water out of my home faucet I didn't want to waste the water. So this morning at the cabin the coffee was noticeably hotter, nicely drinkable. However, never satisfied, I followed through with my idea of packing insulation between the bottle and outside for next time. Stay tuned for the final episode of this exciting experiment.
1015170817.jpg
1015170817.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.