Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Had to put down my little Gizmo today...
. 1 . 2 . >>
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 15:38 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Had him since a pup (French Bulldog). He would of been 10 on the 16th of Jan. He had been getting sick, a cough, but on Christmas day, still a ball of fire, good appetite, he ate prime rib with the rest of us. But the cough got bad real quick and they live around 10 yrs or a little better. I knew that. He was my favorite, and I was his favorite. The wife and english bulldog are real close. Hard to fathom, little fireball just 5 days ago. Anyway, tumor on his lungs and chest cavity filling with liquid. Anyway, radiation, chemo, and at his age, I think I made the right choice, but it was a tough one. I was right there with him when he took his last breathe, I brought him home to the only home he has ever known and he is buried deep in my backyard in an area where no digging will occur and I can see him from the kitchen window. I know it will get easier from here. But until then, devastated.
just born
just born
5 weeks old
5 weeks old
sleeping with toy
sleeping with toy
Adult at cabin trip
Adult at cabin trip

bushbunkie
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 16:35

They become best buddies...always there when you need them and asking for little in return. I bet he loved the cabin and seeing all your posts...I bet he had “quite a ride” for the 10 good years he had. It’s always difficult when we gotta make the decision on their behalf...but that’s when they depend on us the most...our time to come through for them.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 17:47

Quoting: bushbunkie
...It’s always difficult when we gotta make the decision on their behalf...but that’s when they depend on us the most...our time to come through for them.

Thanks BB. That quote made me feel so much better.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 19:10

Hard decision, but you did the right thing. My dogs favorite existence is at the cabin. By that measure, your dog had a great life! SE Ohio

Borrego
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 20:07

Sorry, TMT....... we have 3 rascals and one is 14 ....we are waiting till that decision becomes inevitable...sigh, they give us so much and we give them so much....

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 21:15

So sorry for your loss Toyota.... He was fortunate to have a long life with a family that loved him.

Steve_S
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 08:22

Condolences on the loss your Gizmo, I have to say, some of my Best Friends were of the 4 legged variety over the years and I miss them all.

95XL883
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 12:30

TMT, I am so sorry and sad to hear of your loss. Please accept my sincere and heartfelt condolences on your loss. As BushBunkie said, you were there for Gizmo when he needed you most. And please remember that started when he was a puppy and continued throughout his life.

There is a positive, heartwarming element to your situation and Gizmo's life that I hope in time, you can treasure. I support a local German Shepherd rescue group. It is disheartening to see the number of dogs that are mistreated, abused and neglected, sometimes horrifically so. It gives me a sense of hope and perspective to look at pictures of Gizmo from a new born pup through adulthood and to know that for his whole life he had a loving family, a roof over his head and food and water in his bowl. And now he can rest in a special place while waiting for a day when you are reunited. Thank you, thank you so very much for being a great owner and master.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Again, my heartfelt condolences on your loss. Treasure the good memories and thank you for being a good master.

Greg

paulz
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 13:19 - Edited by: paulz

TMT, man that's tough. My good fiend also recently put his 10yo down, describing to me the last trip in the truck, still wagging her tail and eager to go, not knowing her fate. Gut wrenching.

I hadn't had a dog in 30 years and while building my cabin I dreamed of finally having another one with me there. Hes 2 now, making up for 30 years.

Condolences on your loss, and btw thanks for all the cabin advice you have given me.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 13:34

Greg, thank you for the very warm comment, it brought more tears to my eyes. And you are right. I told him (Gizmo and I say this to his English bulldog brother Gadget also) that they will always have love, comfort, warmth, stability and food. Never will any of those be in short supply. Those ASPCA commercials just about make me cry too.

Gizmo at age 3 came down with a life threatening illness, he couldn't eat, we took him in, doggie hospital and found he had meningitis of the brain. It cost us $7000 for that stay, they prepped me to be ready to put him down. I said is there a chance he will pull through and the reply was slim, but yes. So we went ahead. That was 7 years ago. We have the money in savings, so no wasnt an option. After that, he was different. Slower, hard of hearing and depth perception was poor. He would miss calculate jumps and come up short. So I thought he was going to try to run and jump on something, I would quickly get a foot in his way, he would slow and then jump up or I would lift him. After that, he was more like a cat. Just laid around and was lazy and slept. Especially if the sun was out. He would lay on the back porch, soaking up the heat or sun shining through slider glass door onto dog bed, he would lay on that. He loved the sun.

Just thinking back with some funny moments with Gizmo. The best was when I gave him a steak bone, I'd always leave plenty of meat on it for them, he gnawed on it on the back porch, just outside the sliding glass door. Was a nice warm summer later afternoon. And he was done with it, barely any meat left on it. So he wants back in, leaves the bone out on the porch. I see a small fly land on his bone and he sees it too, he gets his face up to the slider window and starts growling at the fly. It was hilarious. I just wish I could of had a video camera running.

His first snowfall he has ever been in. We have accumulated about an inch and still snowing and he goes outside, its dark and the back porch light is on. I see him flash from my left out of the darkness through the light and to the right back into the darkness (have a huge yard) with a rooster tail of snow being kicked up, he was going top speed. Then shortly after the first pass, he comes ripping through the light out of the darkness and back into the darkness kicking up a second roost of snow with his back feet. He was so excited about his first snow.

He loved the ocean beach (Pacific ocean, we would take him to Ocean shores) and he absolutely loved the sandy beaches and ripping around in the grassy dunes too.

He was a sweet tooth too, loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, yogurt, pepperoni and loved cheese, especially that Havarti cheese.

Found another picture of him. He and his brother both would lay with their back legs pointed back. We called it the wheelbarrow or turkey legg'n.

And one picture of his bigger brother (but younger) Gadget the english bulldog as a pup. He too will live his life with unconditional love like Gizmo had.

Rick
gizmo_racetrack.jpg
gizmo_racetrack.jpg
gadget.jpg
gadget.jpg

nscampgirl
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 21:11

So sorry for your loss, I've been through it and it's so hard. You did the right thing, they depend on us to love them more than ourselves when the time comes. You gave him an amazing life and he only ever knew love. I hope you find some peace in the memories.

hattie
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 22:22

I am so sorry to hear about Gizmo. You have such beautiful and warm memories of him.
"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose.
All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."
(quote by Helen Keller)
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 2 Jan 2018 11:50

So sorry to hear of your loss of Gizmo. I've been there with several of my dear buddies. Jaspur, Huey and Monty had always been at my service.
They were the only happy face that was certain to greet me at the door each and every night. When we lost Monty at three years of age to cancer I swore I would get another companion as their loss was tearing my heart out.
Then we found out about a grad student friend of my daughter that would keep her puppy in a cage most of the day and night. We knew we had to rescue that one.
Then came the second dog that was being sold a on street corner. We figure that one was being sold for bait and couldn't let that one pass either.
These two dogs are the only thing that loves our land more than we do.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 2 Jan 2018 12:14

Sorry for your loss Toyota. Gone, but certainly never forgotten. He lives on in the beautiful photos and memories you've shared, along with countless others I'm sure. It's always tough saying goodbye to family pets - they truly are a part of the family. We've had to say goodbye to two family dogs over the years, and it's certainly one of the hardest things one could ever have to do. But, as has been mentioned above, their loyalty to us through their relatively short lives dictates that we must be the ones to be loyal to them, even when the decision is the hardest thing to make. Kudos for you for the life you gave him, and for not making him suffer through his final days.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 15:31 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

All wonderful post, loved reading them all. In fact, I find myself looking back at them again and again and also looking at pictures of Gizmo.

95XL883, your post really helped me appreciate the great life Gizmo had, I just reflected back after reading your post.

I have my english bulldog still, but there is an emptiness around here and loneliness. I am sure its just a bit of depression I'm feeling from my Gizmo loss.

Anyway, went online looking at frenchie breeders and it did make me feel better looking at pups.

I found one with darn close markings on the face as my Gizmo.

Anyway, the hold money has been sent (these frenchies are pricey) and Feb 11th, "Nugget" will be able to come to his new loving home. Nugget was a name I gave Gizmos head. He loved his head scratched, so I always would tell him I am going to scratch his nugget. Its a male, just like Gizmo. I know he will be a handful as a pup, but we managed before.

Anyway, Gizmo loved the ocean, so we are planning on taking both dogs to the pacific ocean to play on the beach. Nugget will be active over at the cabin too. And excited to see how he reacts to his first snowfall. He was born on Dec 15th.

He has lots of years of spoling ahead of him, I hope he likes prime rib too.
20171230_133550.jpg
20171230_133550.jpg
20171230_133240.jpg
20171230_133240.jpg
20171230_133434.jpg
20171230_133434.jpg
20180103_173749.jpg
20180103_173749.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 21:19

Congrats!!! So happy for you.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Jan 2018 22:48 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Ok, I will get weekly 4 pak photos of Nugget, week 8, he comes home. He will become a fixture at our cabin too. I hope he likes spoiling.
Nugget 4 weeks old
Nugget 4 weeks old

hattie
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 00:31

Adorable. Congratulations! Many new happy times to come!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 19:25

Congrats!

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 08:54

Good on you, Toy

You've kept the fire

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Jan 2018 19:51 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Gary O
Good on you, Toy

You've kept the fire

Yep on keeping the fire.
Week 5 of my little Nugget. He is starting to get his "bat ears". He just got a bath before this picture.
3 more weeks, he comes home.
Told the wife to get him his own little dog bed, lots of chew toys to protect furniture. Puppy food etc.
Nugget, week #5
Nugget, week #5

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 19:42 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Nugget is home. What a doll and talk about "tiny". Markings are real close to my beloved Gizmo whom I lost in last Dec.
Lifetime of spoiling is ahead for him, hope he is ready for it. He will spend time at the cabin too.
He is a tiny little guy.
Long day, slept quite a bit
Long day, slept quite a bit
Still sleeping
Still sleeping

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 06:59

Awe. Hes adorable. Have fun watching him grow.

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 13 Feb 2018 15:11

I'm sorry for your loss Toyota but also happy for you and your newfound friend

God truly created something wonderful when he created man's best friend. We marvel at amazing, unique and exotic animals, and yet none of them come close to bringing as much joy to our lives as the average, ordinary dog

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Feb 2018 21:56 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

He is just a bundle of joy, his whole life has been happy and playing so far. He loves his new home. Acclimated perfectly and his bigger brother the english bulldog is so good with him. Darn teeth are like needles though.
20180211_183910.jpg
20180211_183910.jpg
20180211_185531.jpg
20180211_185531.jpg
20180211_193505.jpg
20180211_193505.jpg
20180211_194029.jpg
20180211_194029.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 14 Feb 2018 16:27

Oh he is ADORABLE!!!! Congratulations! Wishing you years and years of happiness with this little guy!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Feb 2018 08:39

The cuteness doesn't stop, I am overwhelmed with it.
nugg.png
nugg.png
nuggonback.png
nuggonback.png

bushbunkie
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 08:59

Hey Toyota....friend sent this on to me and thought you would appreciate....when our pets...and there masters get to heaven...first thing they see.
Happy Easter!
doggie_heaven.jpg
doggie_heaven.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2018 15:42

Right on, my little Gizmo is up there somewhere. I need to do Nugget updates. Man, what a little love bug, he sure loves his home. Happy, never hungry, warm comfortable, his heaven on earth. Better weather, he is out all day running around. We bought him loads of puppy toys, yet, he comes in from outside with a stick and chews on that for days till its no longer recognizable. And then finds another.

I will post pics from home of him tonight.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Apr 2018 09:00 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My little Nugget. Granddaughter holding him, other one, he is eating a biscuit and...
9520.jpeg
9520.jpeg
9827.jpeg
9827.jpeg
9829.jpeg
9829.jpeg
10297.jpeg
10297.jpeg

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.