Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Gardening could be the hobby that helps you live to 100
KinAlberta
# Posted: 16 Dec 2018 14:40

Gardening could be the hobby that helps you live to 100 - BBC
Excerpt:

“ But they share another unexpected commonality. In each community, people are ...”

“I use the analogy of a chair,” says Willcox. “Diet, physical activity, mental engagement and social connection

“ But they share another unexpected commonality. In each community, people are ...”

“I use the analogy of a chair,” says Willcox. “Diet, physical activity, mental engagement and social connection are the four legs. If you don’t have one of them, you fall out of balance, and it can shorten life expectancy. Longevity isn’t about one single factor – it’s about not working too hard to share a constellation of them all.”

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181210-gardening-could-be-the-hobby-that-helps-you -live-to-100

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Dec 2018 16:52

I better take it up....we been talking about it, think i will build a block garden about 10 ft x 20 ft....

creeky
# Posted: 16 Dec 2018 17:29

make two rows of 4 feet x 20 ft. Then you can reach across the raised beds. easier on your back.

Gardening really fulfills all the requirements. You eat the, presumably, organic produce. Do the chores. Research and study the hows and whys. And meet other gardeners as mad as yourself. hilarity ensues.

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Dec 2018 17:44

I can't wait.
Due to the layout, I think I'll still make it 10x20 with access paths.....thanks for thinkin' about my back, though, it has been getting worse as of late...

rockies
# Posted: 16 Dec 2018 18:01

Why are you creating a huge garden? A lot of the area is just devoted to space between rows.

Have you read "The New Square Foot Garden"? You could probably find it at your local library.

https://www.amazon.ca/Square-Foot-Gardening-Second-Revolutionary/dp/1591865484

ICC
# Posted: 16 Dec 2018 19:17

Garden size depends in part on whether or not you plan to grow enough produce to freeze and or can for future use. Or maybe grow a supply of potatoes if you can store in a ventilated, dark, cool, but not really cold place. We grow pretty much a whole year worth of potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, cabbage that we store in a root cellar.

If you have not gardened before I would start smallish but plan for expansion if all goes well. Pick a few favorites and go from there.

Raised beds are great but limit the use of machines. That's not too bad with smallish one or two people gardens.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.