Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / moving shipping container costs
containeraddict
# Posted: 18 Jul 2021 16:38

Hey guys!

I'm curious if anybody here has a good idea on how much it costs to move 20' and 40' containers? Also, who do you guys recommend using for this?

Thanks!

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Jul 2021 17:40

Cost us $1850 to go 250 miles for our 20' back in 2015
(loaded with most our earthly belongings)

He had a loader made just for containers
No tip
Pick it up with an arm

Sat it right on the dime
Very gentle

Worth every penny

Bruces
# Posted: 18 Jul 2021 19:53

Only cost me $150.00 with a tilt and load tow truck ,took about an hour .They weigh about the same as a car

mj1angier
# Posted: 18 Jul 2021 19:54

I paid $1950 a year ago for a 20ft delivered

containeraddict
# Posted: 18 Jul 2021 22:11 - Edited by: containeraddict

Quoting: mj1angier
I paid $1950 a year ago for a 20ft delivered

was that a local delivery, or how far did they have to transport it? Also, did you already own the container, or is that how much you paid for the container and they included delivery for $1950?

Quoting: Bruces
Only cost me $150.00 with a tilt and load tow truck ,took about an hour .

dang that's cheap! Was that to move it to a different spot on your property, or how far did you move it?

Quoting: Gary O
Cost us $1850 to go 250 miles for our 20' back in 2015
(loaded with most our earthly belongings)

Ok, good to know. Appreciate the info Gary

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jul 2021 23:31

Quoting: containeraddict
I'm curious if anybody here has a good idea on how much it costs to move 20'

I had a guy haul a 20 footer for me, he had a flatbed trailer, a high lift jack and 3 metal pips for rollers. A winch on the front of his trailer. He would just grab a front corner, jack it up, roll trailer deck under it, insert metal pipe/roller, start winching up adding another roller as he pulled it into the trailer, then when it was where he wanted it, jacked up one side, slid out rollers. lashed down to trailer deck, towed it to my cabin pulling it with a Ford F350. Cost was $750, drug it about 300 miles. Laid it right where I wanted it.

I ran an add on craiglist to move the container. Aaron was his name, nice guy.

This is exactly where it plopped it down, I had prepped the area with thick gravel base, flat and packed down.
container_painted_fr.jpg
container_painted_fr.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 00:11

https://www.uship.com/

Bruces
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 00:53

My container move was about 10 miles .

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 06:28

M1..$1950 is very cheap. Did you buy it from a private owner of one of the people who sell them from the port?

Cheapest I could find where I could view the container prior was $2700 per covid. That's gone up to $3700 a few months ago. At $3700 il buy a shed.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 09:08

My 20 footer was 30 miles away at a friend's who lost his property in the 2008 crash. Come and get it before the bank. I put my tractor on the trailer, went over, lifted one end onto blocks, backed the trailer under it and pushed the other end onto the trailer. Towed it home, chained it to a tree, pulled the trailer out, went back and got the tractor. Total cost gas money.

Point being with enough effort and a trailer big enough, it can be done yourself.

Steve961
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 20:51 - Edited by: Steve961

I have done this several times. In 2009 I had three 20' containers delivered 330 miles for $1,175. In 2018 I had a single 20' container delivered 180 miles for $500.

As to who to use, you should really start calling your local trucking firms - that's who I got the best prices from. Almost anyone can move a container, the hard part is getting it off the truck. You will need someone with the proper equipment on the receiving end to take it off the truck - lots of different ways to do this. I had a small crane for the first delivery, and an excavator with chains for the second.

Containers.jpg
Containers.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 23:09

To unload, a high lift jack, 3 metal pipes.

mj1angier
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 12:27

I got ours of a Craigslist for a guy that sells them. He picks up at where they are stored and brings it out and sets it. He had about a 100 mile round trip. It was a "wind and water tight" grade, but had been painted it's last trip so looked real good, one of the door handles id a bit bent so had to work on it.

I have a steel man door to put in it, just have not had the time.
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.