Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Got bit by the tool bug...
<< . 1 . 2 .
paulz
# Posted: 10 Mar 2022 22:15

As I mentioned, a friend gave me this Milwaukee drill, battery and charger when he upgraded. It's worked great for me, I replaced the brushes once. It's an 18v NiCad battery, but the charger does both NiCad and Lithium.

Last week I left it in the back of my yard truck at the cabin. Got back and it was dead, I think the trigger must have hit something and it ran itself out. I used it today, it takes a charge but only drives about a dozen screws on a charge. It actually seemed to recover some as I charged it several times.

Buying a new NiCad battery seems like a step backwards. Can I open the battery up and replace the cells? Or if I buy a lithium battery will that work in it as well as new Milwaukee stuff?
20220310_170625.jpg
20220310_170625.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Mar 2022 12:59

I would think at this point there should be someone making aftermarket replacements with LFP?

ICC
# Posted: 11 Mar 2022 14:51 - Edited by: ICC

If that pack is actually a real NiCad pack it probably was past time to die from old age and the associated ills that NiCad were notorious for. That's my opinion. I've never had a cordless Milwaukee tool. I can't even remember now when my last NiCad pack died, but I know I was happy because the lithium packs are so much better.

As for replacing cells in the packs the Nicad cells were 1.2 volts, li-ion are 3.6 volt and LFP are 3.2 volt. So the number of cells must change. To me, that is too much bother to have to be changing the number of cells in series/parallel. Especially if trying to use LFP in place of either the NiCad or Li-ion.

Nicad and Li-ion also require different charging profiles so there must be a special keying in a charger that can do NiCad and Li-ion cells. If one replaced NiCads with Li-ion cells, even adjusting the series/parallel configuration the charger needs to know what charge profile to use. It can't tell that from the voltage because both the tool packs are 18 volt. I would think there must be a different keyway on the Nicad and Li-ion to prevent their use in the wrong charger.

If a lithium pack is wanted to replace a Nicad, toss the NiCad and buy a new lithium pack.

snobdds
# Posted: 11 Mar 2022 15:34

I bought a Craftsman C3 drill and impact back in 2010 or so. I can not kill these things. Dropped more than I can remember. Looks beat to death, but has built so many things. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries, but still going strong. It's now my mission to see how long it will last.

Craftsman use to be the only tools my dad bought for his business. I have not tried the new ones, and maybe I won't because I want to keep the glory of a well made American tool in tact.

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Mar 2022 06:37

I bought a couple Milwaukee replacement batteries from AliExpress for quite cheap for my heated coat. They actually work fine and last longer than the originals did

Not a big fan of shopping from china but they were less than 25% of the replacements here

paulz
# Posted: 12 Mar 2022 09:39

Quoting: ICC
If that pack is actually a real NiCad pack it probably was past time to die from old age and the associated ills that NiCad were notorious for.

Figured this sticker means NiCad. Btw I made that cutting board it's sitting on in high school wood shop over 50 years ago. Coulda been a wood worker like you guys if motorcycles hadn't caught my fancy.

Anyway gave me the excuse to read up on NiCads, knew nothing about them. Apparently they do suffer from a memory thing, which can sometimes be rectified, which would explain why this one has come back some.

As far as messing with it, as FishHog says M18 Li batteries are around new for about 20 bucks. I'll probably do that, this drill will still make a good backup when I do dive into newer lightweight brushless stuff.
20220312_062656.jpg
20220312_062656.jpg

TrentOhio
# Posted: 14 Mar 2022 07:43

Love dewalt products and if you watch Home depot and lowes there is always deals to be had. Just the other day I bought 2 batteries and got a new tool free.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Mar 2022 10:14

I happened by an electrician standing by his truck the other day. He must have had 30 Milwaukee tools in the bed. I asked him if Milwaukee was the brand of choice in the building trade. He said yes for electricians, they have a lot of trade specific tools. I asked what about general contractors. He said DeWalt is the biggie.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2022 11:43

Well I joined the ranks of you lithium tool guys yesterday, lol. I was at HF, they had this drill on sale for 15 bucks, including Li battery and charger! Already used it this morning, put a screw in the wall to hang something. Won't build a building but seems powerful enough for the many light tasks around the house I run into, until I settle on a name brand for 'real' tools.
de.JPG
de.JPG

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Apr 2022 12:23

Speaking from my personal experience, I bought the whole DeWalt Kit with a circular saw, drill, impact driver, reciprocal saw, flashlight & 2 batteries + 2 extra 4.0AH DeWalt batteries. The "kit" is Circa 2015 and with brushed motors.

Pretty much built my house, outbuildings using mostly these tools.

The new "Kits" can be had with Brushless motors as well now but more bucks of course. Just looked at the "Kit / Bundle" prices and Holy Cow did that go up ! Holy Maccaroni !

BRADISH
# Posted: 6 Apr 2022 13:57 - Edited by: BRADISH

Quoting: paulz
Well I joined the ranks of you lithium tool guys yesterday, lol.

Glad to have you on board Paulz. Be careful though, its a slippery slope!

Quoting: Steve_S
Just looked at the "Kit / Bundle" prices and Holy Cow did that go up ! Holy Maccaroni !

Yeah the prices have been on a relentless march upwards. Even a lot of the stuff I had just bought in January is $40 more now PER TOOL since then. Crazy times we are living in...

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Apr 2022 14:38

WOWZERS
I got the last of my Electrical Tools (Hydraulic crimpers and such) in December and my supplier sent me an updated flyer, some of those tools jumped 60% since September.

Oh well, Folgers 1 kg coffee on sale for $7, bought 12.
Get ready, $20 cans are just around the corner.

Sorry in my world, Coffee = Life Essential!

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 13:39

I just went store hopping last week to see what was on the shelves. And I was prepared to buy.
Shock and dismay.....walked out without. I can run my little gen for an awful lot of hours, even at these gas prices, and already have the full compliment of 120vac tools.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Apr 2022 20:31

I took the plunge!
After checking out general info online and cruising our local stores the past couple weeks I was still undecided until....checking back online I spotted a sale package from Menards. It had the compliment of tools I use (not all packages do, so apples to apples comparisons are tough) and at only $330ish after all is said and done, shipped to my door came:
One 'gen past' MasterForce FlexPower 20v brushless set.
7 1/4" circ saw
Full size recip saw
1/2" hammer drill/driver
1/4" snap chuck impact/driver (that can use those handy snap in shank bits, drivers, sockets, etc (Love 'em!).
A nice sized 'tower' light, cabin or worksite suitable
2 x 5.0Ah lith 20v bats
90W charger
Big bag to carry it all (with effort!)
Fwiw, the 'new gen' units are their 'Boost' tech which adds some extra beans but is $440ish and was not quite my whole choice of tools. Reviews of the previous gen FlexPower line put them pretty solid in the 'Pro-sumer' class. Im guessing maybe 90% of the performance of the new Boost models? And btw, the bats that came in my box Are the Boost bats. It sounds like you need the Boost profiled tools to get the 'full advantage', though.
My old 2 sets of cheap 'toss 'em' class tools are soon going back to the local ReStore, where I bought them prev used to try out the concept.
Let the building began!

BRADISH
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 15:29

Quoting: gcrank1
I took the plunge!

Congrats! Welcome to the slippery slippery slope.

I'm not familiar with that brand of tools, but it sounds like a decent value for what you got - especially if there are no unnecessary tools for you in that set.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 17:42

They are a little chunkier than the prem 'pro' tools but the price point is super, think my timing worked out.
Menards has been carrying the line for quite a while and we have one fairly close if I have issues. 3yr warrantee too, just return to store. Sometimes Menards has a 15% off sale on all you can fit in a shopping bag, or even a BOGO on the batteries. We have the 'card', get rebates and they often have their 11% off 'special' going to get folks in the store. All in all they have worked well for us for years now. Just dont go on a Sat to any place like that!

DaveBell
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 22:04

Finally got rid of the Sears Craftsman rolling box for a larger one.
M2540028.JPG
M2540028.JPG

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Apr 2022 09:37 - Edited by: gcrank1

Between the home garage, basement workshop inc a small machine shop, cabin tool shed and some portable tool kits in each car Ive got enough tools to fill a 2 car garage......been 'collecting tools' since I was 14'ish, thats 55 years.
And they have all paid their way.
Im off to the cabin today to try out this new set
Update: Only got to use the 'impact' driver a bit for con-screws, works well, the torque limiting function works perfect when the screw head just levels out at the surface.
The other projects got pre-empted by a new hole dug up through the floor by another evil red/pine squirrel and the old Toro Workman wouldnt start.....

paulz
# Posted: 1 Jul 2022 20:43

Walked around the place today with my new pistol grip 20v tire inflator (pictured above), topping off tires. Let's see, 2 UTVs, the fire truck, one cart, one wheelbarrow, my old car, portable compressor..about 20 tires. What a breeze, almost as easy as the 20v leaf blower, except you still have to kneel down, not much to do about that. The fire truck takes 60psi, a little slow getting there but it did.

Great tool if you have a lot of tires..

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Jul 2022 20:32

That sounds just too handy, Paul
Ive been working my tool set a lot lately, I Like It!
Had some heavy duty ripping to do so I pulled out the old Skill worm-drive circ saw and ran the gen, otherwise its all the cordless set.

paulz
# Posted: 2 Jul 2022 20:56

Yeah I pulled out the Skill saw also this week to cut some 2x12s. I use a sidewinder for simple stuff but it won't follow a line like the old Skill.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Jul 2022 10:27 - Edited by: paulz

Bought a 20v vacuum cleaner yesterday, $55 on sale at HF. 3 gallon, handle on top, weighs less than the battery. Much like the leaf blower, almost makes me look forward to vacuuming, if there is such a thing. Light enough to carry in one hand while wielding the hose and whichever attachment in the other. 45 CFMs of sucking power, like a 110v only no cord to deal with, nothing like the whimpy 12v car vacuums I'm about to throw away.

Cleaner living through lithium.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.