Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Snow load
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 18 May 2022 11:33 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Always plenty of discussion on snow loads here. I can say that 2x4 roof joists spanning 8' on 2' center will barely hold lots of snow. We got some big snow last winter with 5-6 feet common. I think I saw some pictures from RN.
I knew this was sketchy but I didn't have any more lumber at the time. I was going to add more 2x4 but, but,
Hey cabin life in remote ak takes a bit of risk at times and it did it's job n kept things dry. Now as long as the bears don't decide to have fun. That's a load of lumber under the tarp. Hopefully enough to get a 8x12 wheeler shed built. And fix up the wood shed just a little bit
Wood shed roof
Wood shed roof

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 May 2022 12:04

Well, ya gotta admit, they broke at the weak points with all the knots
Jack em up when the load goes, sister in some good-uns and carry on.

NorthRick
# Posted: 18 May 2022 13:43

Sister them with 2x6s.

Brettny
# Posted: 18 May 2022 13:44

Geez I wouldnt even use 2x4 here for anything but studs. You did expect alot from them.

I do have 2x6 spaning 10ft but also clean the snow off at 6in. They are rough cut lumber.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2022 15:30

Jack up roof section, add a girder in center of span, carry down to footer via a couple of poles.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 19 May 2022 08:58

Thanks folks probably sister up on the 2x4s and add another in the middle so that they are 12" on center. I don't want a post in the middle but it may happen. I probably should get some firewood in it also. It did make 4 winters

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.