Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Craigslist finds.
. 1 . 2 . >>
Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 26 Oct 2019 13:55

So I am sure many of you have used craigslist or similar sites to outfit your cabin or get materials. I thought I would share some of the stuff I have found. Yesterday I picked up a 24” propane range/oven from Craigslist just tested it out today works great! I also got my propane “wood stove”, water heater, and windows on letgo. The bathroom vanity and toilet came from Craigslist too. I know it can be risky but I have had good luck so far. What good find did you guys get?
FADD7A427C3746FF9.jpeg
FADD7A427C3746FF9.jpeg
B785C585904840078.jpeg
B785C585904840078.jpeg
97FD9968CAEA4102B.jpeg
97FD9968CAEA4102B.jpeg

frankpaige
# Posted: 26 Oct 2019 16:34

My find was a new in the box Northern Tool direct vent LP heater. $100. Had it converted to propane for $45. Man! Thought I had won the lottery. Extended my season at the cabin.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:29 - Edited by: fiftyfifty

I got all the windows for my cabin on Craigslist. All high quality brands and new except for 1 that was lightly used. Average price $30 each. It took me a few months to collect them all, although I did get 7 of them all together in a group. I looked for plain pine interiors, and didn't worry about outside color because aluminum or fiberglass exteriors paint up easily. A number of them came from contractors and had tiny dings that were fine with me.

I also got most of the furniture on Craigslist. There is an Ikea in my metro area, and I got a lot of that really cheap. I looked for their solid pine rather than particleboard stuff. People complain that you have to assemble it, but for us that was a benefit because it also disassembles and packs up small for transport. We got a whole slew of modular pine shelving units for $10 total. Twin beds for $10 each. Tables, chairs etc. Best of all freestanding kitchen cabinet units with butcherblock tops for $100 each.

Oh and also our front door, a ShelterLogic shed, a canoe, a trailer, and a composting toilet!

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 23:34

Way too many things to remember over the years.
Windows, reclaimed PT lumber, enough to build a dock, deck, and stairs to get down to the lake, canoe, 2 kayaks, etc

I've been very blessed to be able to find what I need when I need it.

Just got home today with another great find: a cap for my pickup. Two years old, got it for 1/2 the price of a new, and exactly what I was looking for.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:41

A Jari sicklebar cutter. Basically a walk behind tractor that mows down anything two inches in diameter or less. Up until a couple year ago the company was still in business making what they had for last 60 years. Wish I had gotten new tires
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG

Peewee86
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 21:29 - Edited by: Peewee86

I’ve had many Craigslist finds. For our cabin I wanted many more windows than my budget would have allowed. I searched Craigslist at least once each week for a year prior to starting construction. Every person that had a white on white Marvin integrity or Andersen 100 series window for sale within 100 miles of me heard from me. I think I insulted more than a few sellers with my offers. I would start at about $.20 on the dollar from the retail price if it was a new never installed window. A used window was only worth about $.10 on the dollar. Some sellers would turn me down only to contact me a week or two later and accept my offers.

The reality is there is very little market for windows once they cannot be custom ordered to size. I believe my small cabin has roughly $10,000 of windows and I have less than a third of that invested in them.

paulz
# Posted: 31 Oct 2019 10:22

5/8 CDX, 8 bucks a sheet, yesterday.

50 20' 2x12 DF, 400 bucks, last month.

And don't forget my mile of 4" pvc pipe, 50 bucks!
1030191206_HDR.jpg
1030191206_HDR.jpg
0924191057_HDR.jpg
0924191057_HDR.jpg

Steve_S
# Posted: 31 Oct 2019 10:55

I got all my Foam Insulation off of Kijiji (Canadian version of craigslist). The XPS, EPS, ISO … all of it ! Same for my windows (which I still have some extras) and my Jotul 3TD Wood Burner too !

Nobadays
# Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:03

Lots of stuff! Most recently a nice Hotpoint range, has the glow bar but our solar system is sufficient to accommodate that inconvenience.

My best find ever though was a spool of 6/4 600-Volt CU Black Flexible Portable Power SOOW Cord.... this is that big portable, rubber coated power cord (50amp +) used like at construction sites, rock crushers, carnivals, etc. At Homedepot it runs $5.00/foot. Guy on CL had taken this in on a trade and asked $100.00 for what was left on the spool. After talking to him I figured there was way more than $100.00 worth, he thought 50'. Turns out there was 132', that's over $650.00 worth of cable for $100.00... score! I only needed about 25' for my electric brew rig, but since have used some to power and outbuilding and still have enough left that I can sell for more than enough to recoup my initial cost.

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Nov 2019 11:43

I actually found our property for sale on Craigslist. Lol

paulz
# Posted: 1 Nov 2019 13:20

OK you win!

drb777
# Posted: 1 Nov 2019 13:40

I've wondered for quite awhile, how much of what is sold on Craigslist or Ebay is 'hot"? It just seems so likely that low-paid workers (or others) might just help thyself to a bit of the materials stockpile on that last/remote jobsite, then "fence-it" online. Am I too skeptical, and is the buyer in any way protected against such situations?
I've heard the legal theory of "if it's too good a deal to be legit/true", but that's kind of the idea of an auction site.

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Nov 2019 14:23

Too good to be true means its a scam or you wont get there in time.

paulz
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 09:03

Bought one of these yesterday. After the recent fires and power outages out here the guy upgraded to a bigger one. Not sure what I'll use it for and it's probably not a 'good one' because it's not a pure sine wave but he said if I don't like it he'll give me my 60 bucks back.

I have a couple of small inverters the size of a paperback I've picked up here and there, they won't even run a hand drill without shutting off. This should at least do that. It's about 2' long and 10-20 lbs.
re.JPG
re.JPG

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 20:49

Not on eBay. It is set up to protect the buyer and the seller.
Craigslist, FB Marketplace or any of the other sites where you have to go somewhere to meet up not so much.
You better be careful if you are selling or buying.
Meet somewhere public like the police station.
If you are selling you’d better take a counterfeit banknote detection pen and make sure you are not followed home.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 20:52 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Forgot to mention, eBay is not like it was during the old days. Most sellers no longer do auctions unless they are trying to get more money out of a expensive item or have death piles they are trying to get rid of.

Most of eBay is buy it now or best offer because people just do not have the time or patience to wait for a auction to end.

Smart eBay sellers are also offering free shipping to compete with Amazon.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 20:55

I found my Hoosier Cabinet, claw foot tub and kitchen sink on Craigslist.

I did not go alone and the person I was with was armed.

Jrbrandt25
# Posted: 17 Nov 2019 16:38

Damn near everything in my cabin has been from craigslist, from cabinets,flooring, lumber,countertops,doors,roofing,lights,plumbing,windows and decking.,,,I'm cheap...guess it's a good thing I'm in no hurry to finish up yet

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 08:39

I regularly buy stuff off FB and Clist. I have a concealed permit but never carry. Even when i have thousands in my pocket. I know the area well enough to not bother with sales from bad areas, inner citys or trailer parks. I have never felt threatened at any sale and usualy go alone.

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 09:03

Just scored 2 - Vmax 6v, 225ah AGM batteries for $50, for the pair! I normally wouldn't buy a used battery but after talking to the guy I think it was a definite score. They are 13 months old and have been in his motorhome (a monster diesel pusher) since new either maintained by solar or on shore power. He just made his bank too large, 8 of these, and they wouldn't all fit in his battery tray so these 2 were in an adjoining compartment in a wooden box. He said it was a "Mickey Mouse" setup and he just didn't need 8 batteries... his old system was 4 and was just on the edge so he doubled the size but realized 6 were plenty.

After I bought the batteries he said here you might need this and gave me a double hitch extender- tow and reciever above to put a bike rack- with pins, he said full timing you learn what you really need and what is too much and taking up space.

Anyway... now I can set up my security camera at the cabin.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Nov 2019 09:27 - Edited by: paulz

Good score NBD.

Quoting: Brettny
I regularly buy stuff off FB and Clist. I have a concealed permit but never carry. Even when i have thousands in my pocket. I know the area well enough to not bother with sales from bad areas, inner citys or trailer parks. I have never felt threatened at any sale and usualy go alone.

Same here. Also usually get a pretty good impression of who you're dealing with before you get there. I don't use Facebook, probably missing out there..

I'm starting to get the impression I'm a Craiglistaholic, I constantly have a couple items I'm thinking of buying. I don't like going to big box stores. I was forced to buy some studs at Home Depot the other day. Dragged the orange cart halfway around the store, sorted through the bad studs, stood in line while the clerk waded through the 50 assorted items the guy in front of me had. Finally another register opened, that clerk rang up all my 8 and 10 foot studs as 10 footers which are twice the price, had to wait for the supervisor to fix it, my truck was 1/8 mile way in the parking lot... Ooops, rant over..

Wife and I actually enjoy the weekend jaunts we take to buy CL stuff, and meeting the people. You know you're old when that's your weekend getaway..

Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 23 Nov 2019 09:41

Quoting: paulz

I'm starting to get the impression I'm a Craiglistaholic, I constantly have a couple items I'm thinking of buying. I don't like going to big box stores. I was forced to buy some studs at Home Depot the other day. Dragged the orange cart halfway around the store, sorted through the bad studs, stood in line while the clerk waded through the 50 assorted items the guy in front of me had. Finally another register opened, that clerk rang up all my 8 and 10 foot studs as 10 footers which are twice the price, had to wait for the supervisor to fix it, my truck was 1/8 mile way in the parking lot... Ooops, rant over..

I hate buying lumber at HD. Thankfully there is a real lumber yard near my cabin where you can drive right up to the pile of 2x4s

Nobadays
# Posted: 16 Dec 2019 17:21 - Edited by: Nobadays

Well my craigslist score of 2 - Vmax 6v, 225ah AGM batteries might be a bust... trusted the guy but I think they are shot. Were charged when I got them, put them on a small solar panel to keep them topped up. They had been sitting about a week on the porch at the cabin in 20 degree F weather. So finally got my dedicated system for the satellite internet all wired and a 245 watt panel mounted to keep them charged. Seemed ok yesterday but volts dropped off and hit LBCO on the inverter after about 4 hours...10.5v... so turned it off. A little blue sky today so the batteries were charging well...13.7v... so turned the internet back on. It got cloudy and within 2-3 hours we were back at LBCO. Oh well after selling the hitch the guy gave me along with the batteries I'm only into them for $25.00... and at least I have cores now. I never buy used batteries... now I remember why!

Eddy G
# Posted: 24 Dec 2019 09:16 - Edited by: Eddy G

I got a set of old Harley split tanks for $25
and made a lamp for the cabin.
Actually I’ve made a few.
0748B4DA5BA14E75A.jpeg
0748B4DA5BA14E75A.jpeg
4264196AE6E744338.jpeg
4264196AE6E744338.jpeg
7101DA945DA447FFA.jpeg
7101DA945DA447FFA.jpeg
2352EB84B7D945B9A.jpeg
2352EB84B7D945B9A.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 24 Dec 2019 10:49

Very nice lamps, but I'm more impressed by your tool board! You got enough wrenches and screwdrivers to staff the pits at Indy!

Eddy G
# Posted: 24 Dec 2019 12:50

Yeah, I may of a problem passing by a yard sale or flea market without buying a tool.....needed or not....
If you got to have an addiction its not the worst one to have...haha

paulz
# Posted: 24 Dec 2019 14:41

I know how it feels, I have the same problem with vintage mag wheels. Here's a small sample, got maybe 4x more, check Craigslist daily. I used to collect motorcycles, still got a dozen. Finally cured of that, wheels are cheaper and easier to store.
IMG_20191224_105111..jpg
IMG_20191224_105111..jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Dec 2019 20:34

Love the lamps Eddy.
I like the Steam Punk look!👍

offgrididaho
# Posted: 25 Dec 2019 09:20

Quoting: Eddy G
I got a set of old Harley split tanks for $25
and made a lamp for the cabin.

The disk brake base is brilliant!

Eddy G
# Posted: 25 Dec 2019 12:42

Thanks, like the tanks when I can find them I pick up the discs (as cheep as possible)...Through trial and error I figured out a way to weld a pipe flange to the rotor from underneath the rotor. Makes a really solid stable base.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.