Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Quick terminology question regarding cabin design
Author Message
# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 08:57

I'm sure its a thing especially with non-cabins but I somehow just can't seem to recall or find what its generally called by then if it did have a particular word that is?

To put it this way with the example below;
Use one 40ft length all the way through, or start with one 20ft length then at one end add another 'smaller' 20ft length. So basically the latter looks 'stepped-in' laterally not to mention that the Z in middle mean working very short hewn logs, but at least the one bonus is getting almost the same interior size while being able to work with much shorter beams.

# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 09:21

I have no idea what you are meaning. Picture? Drawing? webpage link?

# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 09:59 - Edited by: jhp

I think maybe he means lap joints, but to make two shorter logs act as a single longer log.

Lap joints: 1200px-Woodworking_lap_joints.svg.png

After some googling I think the end to end joints are scarf joints? f-Joint-3.jpg

However, the Googling tells me you shouldn't use them for beams, even under the supported joint. Not sure how that would play out in a log cabin type design where it's not point supported.

I guess it might work but wouldn't finding similar diameter poles, or the amount of hewing needed to equalize them be just as much work?

# Posted: 22 Jul 2021 07:55 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: jhp
I think maybe he means lap joints, but to make two shorter logs act as a single longer log.

Scarf joint? Be an upgrade to his lap joint, but stronger. But time consuming to make.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.