Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / dual purpose bed/sofa?
ruralboy
# Posted: 15 Nov 2021 07:46

I keep wondering about this a bit so could someone mind telling me if its a plausible idea?

simple log sofa with flat seat, and the seat part is deeper than usual hence extra-thick back cushions to make it still comfortable to sit on. and at night just take the cushions off to have a depth that almost resembles a single bed (with the sleeping sheets being unrolled out from having been stowed underneath during the day)

paulz
# Posted: 15 Nov 2021 07:54

That's how I sleep on my house couch, when the wife is mad.

Gonna take a big log..

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 08:17

Unless you attach them I see the cushions sliding all over. You ever move a log that big before? What about moving it up and into a cabin?

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 09:33

We use futon couch/beds

Nobadays
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 09:57

I'm guessing ruralboy is thinking something like this picture I pulled off a search for log futon.... as long as the pad is comfortable I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. We have considered one but in my experience they make better beds than couches.
5afc761124909.jpeg
5afc761124909.jpeg

ruralboy
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 10:32

nobadays I didn't think of linking to a similar example from web at first but yes that is the kind I was thinking of having

and you do bring a good point on comforts. I guess its a tradeoff between having the space for two separate dedicated things (who uses a bed during the day relatively speaking that is?) versus one multi-use thing

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 11:24

We have a 16x24 cabin and just did not want a bed, or bedroom, taking up that much space.
By using the 2 futon units as day couches (way good as is for taking a nap) and dropping one or both, as needed, at night we have a very workable system.
Be aware, there are a number of choices now for futon 'mattresses' and lots of frames. One frame I liked that my wife did not has an upper bunk with the fold out lower. I thought the upper would make a good place for MY duffle and gear, etc and an occassional bunk if needed.

Ebbie
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 11:57

IKEA has several sofa beds:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/products/?q=sofa%20bed

I will definitely be getting a sofa bed for my cabin as well - the living room can also function as a bedroom / sleep area.

They also sell beds and sofas with storage options.

For example, here is an idea when it comes to under the bed storage solutions:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/malm-pull-up-storage-bed-black-brown-90404817/

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 13:07 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

That’s a “day bed”. We have one on our cabin porch.

You can use a regular twin mattress and can buy mattress covers/encasements that are very tight thick fabric so it looks more like a sofa than a bed with a fitted sheet.

I’d also add that personally I don’t like it. It’s just too deep to be comfortable sitting like a couch. I much prefer a futon. IMO
98E824B16DDF480B9.jpeg
98E824B16DDF480B9.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Nov 2021 13:49

I made a similar log futon as in the picture above. The bottom pulls out to allow the cushion to fall flat. It is easy enough to open and close and works well. My only regret is I wish I put the back on a little more of an angle but space was tight
But serves the purpose of couch and guest bed well. And it fits in with my rustic interior.

Steve961
# Posted: 17 Nov 2021 21:52

I have the Ikea FYRESDAL daybed at my cabin. It's very versatile in that it can be a sofa, twin bed, or king sized bed if you have two twin mattresses and pull out the support extension. BTW, the pic below is a stock photo from Ikea.

Ikea_FYRESDAL.png
Ikea_FYRESDAL.png

ruralboy
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 10:56

grizzlyman interesting rattan sofa

and thanks everyone, noted down to think more about this to myself for now

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.