Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / recycled sinks?
ruralboy
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 11:02

not sure if it still fits a 'cabin construction' topic but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with repurposing any sort of used sheetmetal-made pail/box into everyday sinks?

I know I had seen a few examples shown in lloyd kahn's house books but thats been my whole extend on this so far tho

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 11:09

Ive had several real stainless steel sinks turn up in my wanderings, no need to make a sink from a non-sink if I needed a metal sink.
At the cabin we use matched nesting plastic 'dishpans', one for hot soapy, one for dip rinse, one under the drainer rack to dry.
The dip rinse water gets saved to make the next batch of hot soapy.

travellerw
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 11:21

Unless you are going for a certain "look", I don't think its worth it. There should be a recycling store in your area (up here we have Habitat for Humanity Restor). Used stainless sinks are SUPER cheap at these stores.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 11:27

We have an old cast iron sink . Does anyone know what it takes to refinish one of these ?
Rural , I hope it's OK to jack your thread a bit.but your title reminded me of our sink.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 11:32

Got a pile of SS sinks, people are throwing them over my fence. Where are you, I'll throw one in your direction.

ruralboy
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 17:04

travellerw hmm its been quite a while now that you remind me of them, I do know there was a store by the exact same name in ottawa. I'll have to see when I might feel like going to that particular slightly-out-of-way area of ottawa and just have a look at what they probably carry.

if you/anyone is wondering;
https://habitatgo.com/restore/

paulz thanks for the thoughts but I may have to decline only because of that I won't want it till springtime (starting onto things) and that I am just about on the opposite coast nevermind being over the border as well

travellerw
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 17:12

Quoting: ruralboy
travellerw hmm its been quite a while now that you remind me of them, I do know there was a store by the exact same name in ottawa. I'll have to see when I might feel like going to that particular slightly-out-of-way area of ottawa and just have a look at what they probably carry.

Another option is to look at cabinet and kitchen companies.. There is one I worked with that had like 20 behind the building. They told me to take what I wanted. Over 1/2 still had taps installed!

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 19:09

Keep your eye on metal recycling dumpsters?
Ask at house renovation projects?

Curly
# Posted: 18 Nov 2021 23:01

I thought a bucket sink might have an interesting look, so I tried a bucket sink for a while. I was not happy with the way it drained (or didn't drain). I could not get a drain to connect to the bottom of the sink that did not have a small lip extending above the sink bottom. That meant the sink would not completely drain and there was always a little water standing in the sink. Also the bottom of the bucket was flat and that didn't help it drain. Real sinks have a slight slope to the drain, not flat bottoms. Also real sinks have a recessed area where the drain connects. That also helps a real sink drain. I decided to go back to a regular sink because of the drainage issue and I didn't like the look either, at least not in my bathroom. Perhaps it would work for you if you found a bucket with sloped bottom (or you sloped it somehow). Good luck.
bucket_sink.JPG
bucket_sink.JPG

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Nov 2021 08:48

Those wash tub sinks do look nice but I can see how they would never drain properly. The way they are built just dosnt allow for proper drainage.

Currently we have a SS 8' restaurant table that I plasma cut a sink hole out of and welded a SS sink in. It's our outside sink at the moment but eventually will be part of our kitchen

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Nov 2021 09:09

Form or function? A good looker that doesnt do the intended job properly is a step maybe into Better Cabins and Cottages magazine but.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.