Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Hunting cabin/shelter flooring???
2zwudz
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 12:24

1). Im looking for suggestions /opinions on floor covering for a hunting cabin/shelter.
2). Will a drywall ceilng be ok?

The cabin will be on a block a foundation and will not be occupied for months at a time.

Thanks Mark

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 13:00

Ours is just plywood with a coat of clear poly.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 14:12

Our old one built in the '80s just had throw-rugs over the plywood decking. Between those and the furniture there wasnt much exposed.
Maybe check local flooring places, they sometimes have remnants from jobs or end-of-rolls that they sell cheap. (or used to...)

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 16:16

The cheapest laminate flooring you can find will also work.

Princelake
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 16:23

You can put sheet vinyl in or a more expensive option would be vinyl plank.
Drywall is definitely your cheapest wall finish. On block there will probably be movement and cracking. You can strap the joint with wood. Or find a cheap t&g pine and paint it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 17:32

On the old build we did boxcar siding up to about 4' then essentially dryway upwards painted white; ceiling was exposed wood. The reflected light from that and the contrast was effective and pleasing.

travellerw
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 17:33

Quoting: Princelake
Or find a cheap t&g pine and paint it.

If someone does find cheap T&G.. I would love a source.. Damn its like diamonds up here.

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 20:39

Quoting: gcrank1
On the old build we did boxcar siding up to about 4' then essentially dryway upwards painted white; ceiling was exposed wood. The reflected light from that and the contrast was effective and pleasing

That's a good idea. Quick and nearly cut drywall work in half.

mj1angier
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 07:37

I used cheap vinyl plank over plywood. It was cheap enough and easy for one person to install. It has held up well for the past year with muddy boots and dog nails, lol

We used lap siding for the walls and T&G for the ceiling. Found a place on Craiglist that sells #2 grade:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/d/wendell-1x6-grade-knotty-beadboard-joint/7415670 080.html

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 07:58

Vinyl plank and tongue and groove pine for us had held up well. Our ceiling is just thin plywood

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 09:51

Regarding the vinyl plank...

Any issues with it buckling or showing gaps in a cabin that is not kept temp controlled?

old243
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 10:15

If you are using plywood , for over an open floor , on blocks . You are creating a porkpine heaven, if you have them in your area. We covered the bottom with used steel roofing. They will eat the plywood, You can also insulate the floor between the steel sheeting and floor, we used styrofoam sheets. Good luck old243

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 10:50

I don't like the slick surface of the vinyl with snow on our boots. Tooooo slick. Unless you use a throw rug. We have plain plywood now. I'm thinking I will just paint it n use rugs.
The vinyl is good at keeping the wood dry though .
I've considered a short indoor outdoor carpet

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 15:08

Quoting: SCSJeff

Any issues with it buckling or showing gaps in a cabin that is not kept temp controlled?

I dont have vinyl flooring but is more like cardboard flooring on our un heated or AC back porch. Looks the same as it did 2.5yrs ago. I bought it from "Ollies" a store kind of like "big lots". It was $1.10 sqft and I used no foam backing or any type of underlayment. I layed it directly on the sub floor, has a more solid feel that way. I also have the same flooring that's 10yrs old in a rental with a dog and cat. It's a bit beat up but not to bad, it's more than worth its price at this point.

jhp
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 16:39 - Edited by: jhp

I did half vinyl tiles (the cheap peel-n-sticks) and half peel-n-stick carpet laid directly over clean but otherwise unprepped subfloor paneling. I do not heat or cool unless I'm there. Temps range from -30F to +100F.

The carpet was $2.25 a sq/ft but comes with attached pad and is very comfortable. It was several steps up from the cheapest industrial carpet. The tile was about $1.50 a sq/ft. It's about the cheapest "nice looking" wood grain style stuff you can find.

Carpet - no complaints at all really. It adheres just fine with no lifting that I can tell. Was far stickier than I thought it would be. Where I did a good job you can't tell it's not "real" carpet. Where I didn't you can see the squares a bit but its not bad. The pad is decent but obviously not as good as a real pad. It gives a warm and cushy feel. Cleans well. I give it a 5/5 for simplicity and end result. Probably don't want to do a whole house with it but a room or a small cabin sure.

Vinyl tile - Cleans great, look and feel just fine. Biggest downside is in the winter the adhesive does loosen up a bit and you can hear it popping and crackling when you walk on it as the floor flexes. It goes away after it warms up and isn't really a problem in the summer. I will say even after a couple years though there is no peeling up. Easy to install and cut even for a dummy like me. No gaps have appeared that weren't there due to my fault. Biggest drawback is the surface prep - if there is even sand under the tile you WILL feel and see the grains come through. If your underlayment is not perfect you will see it. The smallest pebble will actually dimple and punch through - prep is super critical. I give it a 4/5, again its just fine for what it is.

Both really make the place look and feel a lot more nice and finished, that was probably the biggest surprise for me.

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 16:55

Quoting: SCSJeff

I get a bit of buckling when I show up in the winter and fire up the woodstove, the planks nearest the stove will buckle for a while until the entire place warms up. Not really a big deal and no lasting effects.

While I don't often walk in with snowy boots, the odd time I do, I don't find it slippery. Old school shiny vinyl yes, but there is a bit of texture to the plank we have and its not slippery for us.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 23:00 - Edited by: SCSJeff

Quoting: Brettny
I dont have vinyl flooring but is more like cardboard flooring on our un heated or AC back porch. Looks the same as it did 2.5yrs ago. I bought it from "Ollies" a store kind of like "big lots". It was $1.10 sqft and I used no foam backing or any type of underlayment. I layed it directly on the sub floor, has a more solid feel that way. I also have the same flooring that's 10yrs old in a rental with a dog and cat. It's a bit beat up but not to bad, it's more than worth its price at this point.

We have an Ollies near us. I'll check that out

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Dec 2021 05:54

I did do vinyl tiles in the kitchen of that same rental. They only lasted about 5yrs and looked like hell. They where also a real PITA to remove. The same spot has tile now. I think the longevity of tile out weights the difficulty of install vs vinyl tile.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 19 Dec 2021 15:02

There’s “loose lay” vinyl plank too. I’ve never used it but it seems like it would be great solution to a lot of the problems with click or glue down vinyl.

As mentioned, carpet tiles, which i often see cheap at Habitat for Humanity stores, can be a quick and easy solution.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Dec 2021 17:19

Flooring places also have cut-off ends of rolls of linoleum. Sweep the deck well and lay it down, use edging strips to hold it if you want to get fancy (the stuff does shift without it).
Easy to take up if/when you want to change.

DryCreek
# Posted: 19 Dec 2021 23:39

"Regarding the vinyl plank...

Any issues with it buckling or showing gaps in a cabin that is not kept temp controlled?"

This is preliminary; we only installed it last summer. It has had short term exposure to single digit exterior temps.

Anyway, we installed the free float 6ish by 48 faux wood vinyl last summer. It spec'd a temp range of 40 to 120 or something like that. IIUC the temp concern is thermal expansion/contraction. Instead of the recommended 3/8 perimeter gap I went for 3/4, covered by a 1 inch wide baseboard I made from 2x4s. So far so good. Ask again in a few years

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.