Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Looking for heater ideas???
2zwudz
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 18:16

I’m looking for heater ideas for my 650 square foot all open hunting cabin. I would like electric because of no smell/odor. What do you suggest??

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 21:44 - Edited by: gcrank1

Electric would be work if you are on grid but no matter the heat source sealing up all the cracks and good insulation will literally 'pay off'.
If off grid and you have to make or gather the watts any type of resistance heat is a no.

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 21:45

Electric ⚡
I avoid electric heat whenever possible.
But sometimes it's necessary.
Milk house heaters are an option.
I have a 30 foot 5th wheeler that we use as a guest house/store room with a bunch of food in it. I run a small space heater in it when temps drop be below freezing for a few days. Keeps everything from freezing without jacking the electric bill up too much.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Dec 2021 22:34

Are you ruling out LP?

travellerw
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 10:27

I don't think the OP provided enough details!

-Is you cabin serviced with power? If so, how big (50A 100A)?

-If not serviced, how will you power the electric device?

-Are you looking for something installed and permanent or a portable solution?

-Where is it located? How cold are we talking?

-"650 square foot all open hunting cabin" I'm guessing this means no insulation?

Tough to answer your question without those details.

2zwudz
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 13:11

I have electricity on the property, I will install a big enough breaker box, it is located in west central Illinois, I’m looking for a permanent heat source and it will be insulated?

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 15:03

With grid power and the size it is I would look into getting two heaters. Ones with fans would do best but the baseboard electric onces are nearly silent.

Either way you go make sure they can be used with a real thermostat, not a dial with numbers 1-10.

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 17:30

Agree you will want/need fans to keep the air circulating, otherwise all the warm air goes up to the top and has to 'stack downward' to get you warm. Sitting in a chair your head can feel warm and your feet are freezing.

travellerw
# Posted: 13 Dec 2021 17:44

My brother has a 22X22 fully insulated building that is heated by baseboard heaters on a thermostat. It works excellent and will keep the building any temperature you want (even at -35C).

However, in your case, I would think about installing a ceiling fan that you can run to counteract the stacking affect CG is talking about.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.