Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Simple Pumps(tm) info / experience wanted
Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 13:21

I'm looking for feedback / info on this product line. Do you have any experience with these and if so, what say you ?

Simple Pumps

In particular, I am looking at this setup: (24v config) Simple Pump: Complete, Integrated, Solar Pump System

Our well was completed late last fall. It's 230 feet deep into red & white granite with fairly good flow and a static water level close to 40 feet. The water must be available year round as this is for a "Cabin Residence". We have no commercial power on our property and will be using Solar/Wind for the cabin etc but this is suitable as a separate & independent system should the need arise.

I'm intrigued at this particular pump system because not only can it be solar powered (panel & batteries) it can be simply switched to manual hand mode. In both configurations, it can pressurize a tank & more. This also fits my philosophy of "not" counting on a single point of failure. So if the motor or electrical's fail, the manual method is available as a backup.

If you have experience with or are familiar with this system, please chime in on this thread. Alternatives with similar capabilities within the price point (or cheaper is good too) would certainly be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for your help & info
Steve

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 14:29

I have a friend who has one of the electric Simple Pumps. It runs off a small battery that is kept charged by a small PV panel. He uses it to pump to an above ground storage tank, maybe a hundred gallons. He does that during the day usually. From the storage tank an RV pressure pump distributes the water to sink and shower, water heater. He's had it three years, maybe 4 now. No issues at all. The well is 200 some feet deep.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 10:42 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I am installing a solar livestock well system I bought from http://www.solarpumps.com/ it gets installed in April. Its a 2 panel array. Flip switch, water runs, no storage batterys at all. That is it in a nutshell. I will still have to carry it from my well head ot my cabin or transport it to my 150 gallon water tower (under construction now) and use gravity for pressure/flow. I have an outdoor shower enclosure next to the tower.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 17:10

check out engineer775 on youtube

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Feb 2015 10:29

Ouch... well I got a quote today from the SimplePump folks... over 7K USD... not happening! The search goes on... Will be in touch with SolarPumps later today...

Any other suggestions / recommends are more than welcomed.
Steve

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Feb 2015 22:26

Steve, I bought the K170-SR2 system. It was $2100. My well is 178 feet deep. It just flows to a container. I will fill a 150 gallon water tower, up enough to get me decent pressure. Basically, flip a switch, water flows out. Very simple system.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 7 Feb 2015 17:29

Toyota, how do you keep the water/pipes from freezing between the water tower and the faucets in the cabin?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Feb 2015 19:31

OK Julie, I will be transporting it to the water tower. I am setting mine up to just flip a switch and running water out of a spicket. I keep that from freezing by piercing the pipe in the well shaft just below the frost line. Its a very small hole. So when its off, it bleeds off with this small internal leak. It wont be under real pressure because the end will be open (spicket) and I fill 55 gallon food grade barrel. Then just transfer that water to the tower as needed. In the winter, I will drain it all off before leaving. So I wont be really using it in the winter.

Julie, in the cold areas, they put all the well equipment inside the ground in an underground vault with a manhole cover. This keeps things from freezing. The well is not in the vault, but elsewhere and water comes to the vault via a pitiless adapter.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 8 Feb 2015 03:55

Ah, got it. That's really smart!

I'm still trying to decide on the location for my water tanks. Honestly, I wish I could have a couple of 100-gallon ones inside somewhere. Maybe in the crawl space, though. Saves on the pump and also on the energy used by the water heater.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Feb 2015 14:18

Julie, you would probably have to bury them to protect from freezing. You could have several, one for drinking water, other for laundry, bathing etc caught from downspouts. Also stored in another underground container. And a DC pump to push the water in your cabin/plumbing

The drinking one could be filled from a solar livestock well set up running on its own solar panels (no grid power at all) to the underground holding tank.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.