Building a Small Cabin
The following pages provide more detailed information on how to build a small cabin
- Building Materials
Typical construction materials used in small cabin construction:
- Spruce Lumber - common sizes, etc.
- Pressure Treated Wood - uses, benefits
- Concrete Dek-Block - easy to use and inexpensive
- Roofing Shingles - an efficient roofing choice
- Posts - where to get, how to prepare and set
- Paint - what kind to use in your small cabin
- Nails - types, sizes, galvanized
- Tools reference list
- Power tools, considerations for powering them
- Design Options
- Selecting structure type - choosing between pre-fabricated building kits, log cabins, wooden frame and other options
- Cabin window and soor layout design
Selecting type of small cabin foundation - guidelines, suggestions and points of consideration.
- Small cabin floor building materials - pressure treated wood, fasteners and brackets
- Floor frame construction
- Laying floor sheets
- Cabin Frame
- Steps in constructing your small cabin frame
- Reinforcing Headers
- Moisture Protection
- Roof frame construction
- Installing wall side panels
- Doors & Windows
Finding doors and windows, installing and weather protecting.
- Selecting wire type, outlets, switches and light fixtures
- Installing electrical wiring inside the small cabin
- Long-term thinking and planning for future power options
- Interior Finishing
- Do you need to install thermal insulation in your Small Cabin?
- Adding moisture protection
- Installing decorative interior panels
- Floor covering options
- Shelving and storage cabinets
- Interior painting (optional?)
- Cabin Cost/BoM
How much does it cost to build a small cabin? See my estimates and calculations.
- Review Cabin Construction topics on our Small Cabin Forum