Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Stove pipe question
neb
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 20:05

If my stove pipe is leaking will I be able to see the smoke? I have 2 1/2 inch pipe and I changed the pipe today. I bought 4 inch black stove pipe and had to re-fab pipe to work. All is good to go but not the tightest fit at the joints.

I believe they make high temp tape that I could seal the joints. Does anyone have any advise what kind of tape or some other method.

If the stove is leaking or pipe what happens and will it burn differently?

Just
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 21:49

If I have a bad joint in a stove pipe I seal it up with some muffler
cement then make a 3 or 4 in . wide clamp from a old pipe and a couple of metal screws . Rap it around the leaky joint and pull it up tight with the metal screws .. good luck

neb
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 22:07 - Edited by: neb

Just>>>Thanks. It is very small gap in joints and was thinking that they make high temp chalking as well. Do you think that would work?

Just
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 22:30

don't know , stove pipe can get red hot uno ..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Feb 2015 06:52 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/rtv-adhesive/permatex-hi-te mp-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker/526939_0_0/

don't know if it would hold up to the heat of the stove pipe|///// I used something similar on my header install on my landcruiser~~

or http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/3M-High-Temperature-Flue-Tape/0000000044251?utm_sourc e=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah &gclid=CKqFgYXy48MCFUkV7AodkREAYQ

or http://www.pellet-stove-parts-4less.com/Furnace_Cement_Buff_10_3_fl_oz_Tube_MO1011_p/ MO1012.htm?gclid=CJ2ohcLy48MCFUJk7AodAHgAVQ

neb
# Posted: 15 Feb 2015 08:36

TH>> I will look into those products and thanks for the help.

Don_P
# Posted: 15 Feb 2015 08:41

Light a cigar and hold the smoke by the seams. Is it pulling the smoke into the seam or pushing out? Unless there is a downdraft or negative pressure it should be intaking through any leaks because of the hot draft up the stack.

If my stove pipe is leaking will I be able to see the smoke?

You will not neccessarily see or smell smoke. If it is a glowing charcoal bed after the smokey parts of the wood have burned off, there is potential. O2 drawn over glowing charcoal, C, produces CO, which would be happy to get the other O from you. A carbon monoxide detector is good insurance.

All depending CO2, carbon dioxide, can get you as well. I had a client that has a winemaking room in the basement of an old icehouse. CO2 is heavier than air. It filled the basement at one point when many carboys were burbling. It is another odorless gas, we don't realize we are out of oxygen until it is way late. He made it up the ladder and passed out in the yard, luckily. Point being we are poor detectors, do go carefully.

neb
# Posted: 15 Feb 2015 09:23

Thanks.

Darenkcbiggar
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 08:28

I used a well casing up to my Selkirk in the cathedral ceiling, with a damper! Never will burn out.

Darenkcbiggar
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 08:42

Here's the well casing hooked to my stove which was made out of a boiler stack. 1/4 steel with a flattop and a wood furnace door.
image.jpg
image.jpg

neb
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 09:19

Looks good! I was looking for a lighter gauge steel pipe to do the same thing. It is not easy to find and in y case the weight was a concern. I got things work for now and will make some adjustments come spring and have things ready for this fall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.