Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Protect a plywood floor over the winter?
Rebel300r
# Posted: 20 Feb 2015 21:11

Hi all, slowly building a cabin in SE Alaska. Each time I go up, I build a little more. I plan to put the stringers and plywood down this trip. I can't figure out how to protect it from water damage over the winter. Lots of rain and snow. Any ideas that people have used successfully?
Scott

Don_P
# Posted: 20 Feb 2015 21:48

Advantek osb holds up better than anything else, we use a coat of cheap oil based porch floor paint when it's going to be exposed for awhile.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 01:09

I use 3/4 t&g plywood often and if it's going to get wet I but Dry ply. It's a coated with a water proof coating and has weep holes. I might also drill drain holes here and there. I also have dumped gals. of deck paint over the floor and swabbed it around.

neb
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 09:01

I used plastic and made a ridge in the center of structure so it sheds water. It would be like a temp roof with a slope and nail down plastic on sides to hold in place. Simple to remove and start work once you are there.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 09:21

I did what neb suggested - bough the cheap blue tarp big enough to cover floor and a roll of twine. build a ridge in the middle, actually used two step ladders on site and put boards down from step latter to sides in various places. tie with twine on one side and then pull as tight as possible when you attach on the other side. quick removal for work, leaving one side attached and quick to put back in place when you leave the site.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 10:29 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I'd double hull it. First maybe lay some boards down first so you don't trap moisture if that could be a problem, then throw cheap clear or black plastic sheet over it first and the top it with a tarp.

Rebel300r
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 13:14

Thanks All, I thought of the tarp/plastic idea but the snow can get 10' deep during bad winters and I am not sure how it would work then. Probably fail. I like the ideas of drain holes and paint or oil. I wish I could get plywood with water resistant glue but Marine ply seems pretty spendy. I like the Dry Ply too but could not find a Lumber Store nearby with pricing or experience. I will keep trying that part.

Rebel300r
# Posted: 28 Feb 2015 22:44

Well, a solution just came up. I am getting what is called Car Decking. A 2x6 with tongue and groove. It can be covered with a coat of varnish and should last just fine.

Thanks all,
Scott

Don_P
# Posted: 1 Mar 2015 10:14

Solid wood expands a great deal more than ply or osb if it becomes saturated. The cross plies restrain that movement a good deal in ply and osb. I built a screen porch with 2x6 treated T&G that I had carefully kept stickered and drying as we built the main house. This was laid tight, we were trying to make it as bug free as possible. After a good blowing soaking rain the expanding wood detached the rim joist.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 22:40 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Varnish, etc when exposed to sun fails so will you have to live with a rough looking floor or face refinishing it? Or is it an underlay? Even with 2x6s, I'd worry about squeaking and creaking so I'd really want to know what to do to prevent that when permanently laying it for flooring.

I don't know how big it is, but if it's too big for any one tarp then maybe build it with your choice of plywood but only temporarily screw down every sheet 8' or 12' across so you can pull it up when you leave. Then tie down a couple layers of decent tarpaulin over the secured sections and let the rain drain through the now open portions of the floor.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.