Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Medication access
Obsidian
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 14:21

Hi I'm new here and I really just wanted to ask one thing: How far off the grid/self-sustained living can one get when they need regular medication?

I've always wanted a simpler, freer lifestyle like this, but as it turns out I need access to a pharmacy once a month. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone have any tips on how to be as far away as possibl but still close enough to get to a pharmacy?

I wouldn't want a car. I'd like to get around by foot, bike, or kayak.

Thanks!

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 15:45

I continue to be amazed that my camp neighbor, who must wear an insulin pump, will spend up to 6-7 weeks straight, alone with his dog, at his camp.

He knows how to handle his situation and he's going for it, come hell or high water. If I happen to be there at the same time we make it a point to visit often, especially if I haven't seen or heard him for hours.

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 16:04 - Edited by: MtnDon

Does the PO deliver to your place? UPS? FedEx?

You can usually get 90 day supplies shipped out.

fasenuff
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 16:22

I get regular mail deliveries of meds and need to make at least once a month trips for checkups but I use those trips to get needed supplies and to fight cabin fever! Getting away from it all is greaat but sometimes you gotta get away from that too for a day! It helps....

Malamute
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 17:27

Some stuff requires the prescription be picked up in person every time with no refills. I was planning to travel and be away for a time, my doc prescribed more of the meds I needed so I wouldnt run out before getting home. On my regular visits I take my meds so she can see how much (or little) I've used since getting them filled. I take as little as possible to deal with the pain.

Tell your doc your situation, and see if they will let you stay a month ahead in case if winter emergency etc.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 19:42

Some doctors will give you a prescription to be refilled every 90 days instead of the standard 30 day refill. I hate going every 30 days and have my stuff on a 90 day cycle. More time to be "outback in America" instead of "in town with the idiots"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.