Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What is the definitaion of a cabin to YOU?
smallcabin
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 17:54 - Edited by: smallcabin

Often when we heard the word "cabin" we automatically thought it's a small place with 4 walls and a roof, surrounded by untamed nature's with very little modern conveniences built in, that's it....Much like a place stands still in the passage of time. However, I've seen some very elaborate cabins, built to the very details, furnished with every conceivable modern homes has to offer.

So the question is...what is a cabin to YOU?

Just want to hear your opinion.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 18:53

Any structure made of wood that can be used for a place to eat and sleep.

In my opinion.

Craig

rockies
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 19:37

I'll add a bit of "pepper" to that "salty" structure and say that it is a home that is built properly, sustainably and just large enough to provide every creature comfort you need for your particular situation and no more.
I, personally, don't think of it as a shack that's cobbled together from bits of junk and cast-offs that leaks and lets the winter winds howl through it but that's the "architect" in me speaking.
I suppose it's best summed up as the place where the knots and kinks in your life start to unbind the moment you catch sight of it as you come over the hill after a hard day.

beachman
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 20:13

We had spent many summers in a camp. There was no insulation, single panel glass, and the mice were free to come and go as they pleased. The outhouse was a mere 20 steps away and we could hear the wind and the waves. Wind would pass through the place and it was hard to heat. Forget staying when it got cold. Now we have a new cottage with 6 inch insulated walls, double paned air-tight windows and a nice wood stove. The toilet is inside with a sink and shower. Off-grid but pretty comfy. Something is gained and something is lost. Sometimes I miss the old place and when it is just me, I stay there now and then. But, when it is rainey and cold, the new place can't be beat. Getting older I guess.

Strange, but I think many in the world would be thankful to have a "palace" like the old camp.

neb
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 20:29 - Edited by: neb

Cabin can mean many different things to different people. The type of construction and different material used. A cabin to me would be built with material used from the land where the cabin is built. In some areas a cabin my be wood structure but not have wood on walls and roof. In some areas a cabin is a tar paper shack but we have called them cabin. In my area we call them line shacks. These old structures are made of logs and log and sod roofs. to some they are called a cabin not a line shack.

It would be a place we call home no matter what it is called. It still is a home regardless if it is called a shelter, shack, cottage or camp. Just my 2 cents.

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 22:30 - Edited by: bldginsp

The word 'chalet' originally meant a primitive sheppard's shelter in the mountains. Now, of course, it can refer to a multimillion dollar McMansion in the Alps.

I agree that a cabin is a snug place in the country just big enough for your needs.

upndown
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 23:52

My cabin is the feeling I get every time I unlock the door and it welcomes me in. Seems like it's just as happy to see me, as I am to see it. No other feeling quite like it!

Gary O
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 00:07

To ME?

It's more than even Kinkade can replicate.
It's warmer than the warmest of wood stoves.
It has more charisma than the grandest of orators,
more appeal than the most opulent edifice built.

Yet it's simpler than the simplest of abodes.

It turns a mason jar into a drinking glass,
a tuna can into an ash tray,
a wooden apple box into a cabinet,
a burlap bag into a slip cover,
favorite old clothes into attire of choice,
a stranger into an acquaintance,
an acquaintance into a friend,
a wife into a mistress,

a life....into living.

And for ME,

it's now home.

But that's just ME.

Thanks for asking.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 06:10

Well said Gary!

rmak
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 08:40

Agreed! Very nice Gary.

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 12:24

I guess my definition is much simpler than Gary's.

A house has running water and flush toilets, a cabin doesn't.

But I like Gary's definition too.

neb
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 14:47

Quoting: Gary O
Yet it's simpler than the simplest of abodes.It turns a mason jar into a drinking glass, a tuna can into an ash tray, a wooden apple box into a cabinet,a burlap bag into a slip cover,favorite old clothes into attire of choice,a stranger into an acquaintance,an acquaintance into a friend,a wife into a mistress,

I like it a lot and so true. Cabin to me is the simple things not luxury. Using what we have in the build and then enjoy the simple way of life.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 19:02

I might add that a cabin can have modern emenities to some or not to others. For me a cabin is simply a place where we go to get away from the everyday, a place where you can relax and not bring the stresses of the Monday-Friday 9-5!
No stress, no time clock, no pressure. That's at my "cabin"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.