Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Rustic log furniture
KinAlberta
# Posted: 5 Feb 2016 17:28

Anyone ever make something like a simple hickory bark chair? Other rustic furniture?

Something like those pictured here. Not the giant log things you see now but more like the furniture made 100 years ago for the small hotel/lodge rooms of the day.

http://bunkbedcot.tk/hickory-rocking-chair/

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 5 Feb 2016 19:42

Although I have not made anything that nice, I have made a headboard for our bed out of logs as well as a log futon. I made two bathroom vanities with logs for the legs and barn board for the rest. I have also made a couple side tables on my sauna deck out of slabs cut from a downed tree and log legs. I plan on making a side table with drawers and shelves out of logs this summer. I made a jig for my router to make tenons to assemble the items. I enjoy working with the raw materials, cutting trees, peeling the bark and creating with them. I don't finish anything I have made with varnishes etc because I love the rustic unfinished look. I hope to figure out a chainsaw mill this summer and cut slabs and make a live edge table in the near future. The best part is since I cut it from my land, it's free!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 19:12

I have to agree with you Skoot.. That is how I made all my rails for my stairs and loft. Still got some to finish up. It takes a while but each one is different although I do finish mine with clear water based poly.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 08:47

Forstner bits are not so expensive but the tendon cutters are a little expensive. Once the equipment is purchased, then its a lot of fun. I have not made any furniture at this point, but have been working on my cabin and spent 5 days last week putting up porch post and railing using the tendon cutter and forstner bit. I am sure that once the cabin is complete, I will be making some furniture. I love using the wood of my choice and trying different looks and the search for the perfect piece of wood in the forest. Go for it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 08:54 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I did buy a tool that allows me to use a 1/2" router and it puts the pencil like ends on logs (stick it in the slot and rotate it) and I bought all the matching bits to bore the mating holes. I think I have it in 1/2, 3/4, 1 and 1.5". I have never used it yet.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 11:28

I am using a 1 1/2 inch bit and tendon cutter. See my porch work of last week. Note the flat spot in the lower left hand corner of the photo, on the top rail, found this piece in the "search" in the woods and though, what a perfect beer holder for the front porch. That crazy corner post was a tremendous amount of work to move from the mountains to the corner of the porch, but it adds character to the porch.
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG

Littlecooner
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 11:31 - Edited by: Littlecooner

I have no idea how to rotate photo, no matter how i rotate it, it always shows up sideways. Hope I am not hijacking a thread here on building furniture, just trying to show my new found experience at putting two rustic pieces of wood together. I must be doing better at that than running a computer. I will be trying my hand at furniture one day to put on this porch.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 15:35

Quoting: Littlecooner
I have no idea how to rotate photo, no matter how i rotate it, it always shows up sideways

You are only seeing it rotated in your viewer. Its technically still sideways. Open in paint, the rotate it right 90 degrees, then close it and click "save" when the window pops up.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 19:05 - Edited by: Littlecooner

KinAlberta, I see that Northern Tool has the same item I purchased on sale for $ 90 (USA) it is a :Lumberjack Tools Home Series Tenon Cutter Beginners Kit — 1 1/2in., Model# HSBK1.
This comes with Forstner bit and tendon cutter. My son and daughter in law built a complete baby bed last year for my grand son and I have used it to cut and make joints for 20-25 fittings around the cabin. Thanks to your post and question, I now know what I will do with this pile of "cut offs" I am beginning to accumulate. I have been scouring our mountains for dead eastern red cedar, using the battery powered reciprocating saw and the ATV to harvest the "found" wood treasures with character and remove them from the mountains. Using a wire brush and sometimes a draw knife to bring out the red cedar ( only harvesting old dead trees and limbs were decades of weather has decades the white sap) . Then as each pole is transported to the cabin site and cut to exact length, a pile of nice round red ceder is accumulating. it will all go to nice chairs now. Buy you a kit and start to work. it is simple if you have electricity to run this stuff. It is a little more difficult where I am building a cabin, with only battery powered tools. When the supply of batteries are out, it is time to hop the ATV and down the mountain for an evening refreshing beverage of choice. Looking at all those pictures you posted, I think the 1 1/2 tendon will be the correct size of nice hickory furniture. I will have to cut some hickory, my part of the world has "tons" of small hickory trees in some places.
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG

Littlecooner
# Posted: 8 Feb 2016 19:24 - Edited by: Littlecooner

I give up, dang web site is faster than me, no matter where I rotate, original, it turns it side ways when I post
CornerRotated.jpg
CornerRotated.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.