Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / land
hckz
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 13:57

new to this site. am trying to find some land in northern ontario, gogama, elk lake, timmins area. to purchase for recreation purposes... hunting , fishing, etc.. something for the kids that can enjoy it now and in the future. with small cabin on it or not. I know you can search sites for land for sale, or any tips on going about locating or finding areas to purchase wether it's a lease or sale but did see a post on here that someone had some land with cabin on it near timmins, was posted a couple years ago.

thanks.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 15:21

I know this isn't really what you asked for, but here are a few links from my old bookmarks for searching land. I've recently found my piece of heaven and don't use them anymore, but they may be useful to you.

recreationland.net
wuerch.com
dignam.com
thelandstore.ca
landwatch.com

hckz
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 15:32

great thank you.

old243
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 15:37

Probably you might be able to download the local newspapers from those towns. This might give you a lead. You could also put a want add in as well. old243

hckz
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 16:21

never thought bout that. thanks for the tip.

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 18:15 - Edited by: Steve_S

I found my property searching through realtor.ca which scrapes all real estate listing from all posted listing in MLS and non-MLS. Takes a wee bit getting used to for tweaking and searching but it's quite effective.

Here is a link to the Ontario Well Records database. environment-and-energy/map-well-records which is handy for looking up well information such as depth, date drilled, method drilled, flow rates etc... IF you find a property and want to know about it's well, OR if you find land and want to know how deep the neighbours are. I had my well Cable Drilled (fracturing pounder) @ a cost of $35 per foot + $10 per foot for casing in 2014. Casing is only required to go 10' deep into the bedrock and must be 2' above ground level / grade.

Another spot to check (with caution on buying) is Tax Sales as can be found at ontariotaxsales.ca and taxsaleproperty.org/. These are properties set for sale by Counties / Municipalities for tax arrears. These are sold typical AS/IS-Whereis BUT there are some really good finds to be had if your up to doing some work.

Careful on certain Counties within 150 kms of Greater Toronto ! As the urbanites expand into rural areas, they are citifying counties. Meaning that they want the Urbanized Approach, so septic systems, set-backs more rules & regs than you can shake a stick at and the ever painful "Minimum Square Footage" which is NOT part of the Ontario Building Code as Municipalities like to "tell you what you have to have" rather than allowing you to build what "you need or want".

Looking at properties 1st thing in spring is, I think the best, because you can see what the thaw is doing, where the water is going, low spots etc... and you get a better lay of the land (surface) before everything greens up and vanishes for the summer.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting !

PS: If there is a particular area that tickles your fancy and grabs you by the BooBoo, you may want to get a local map with all the backroads etc and furtle around a few Sundays on the back roads looking for Sale Signs (realtor or For Sale by Owner), check the grocery stores in small towns on the post it boards, don't be afraid to ask staff in these stores (experience taught me to ask only the older folks over 50 !) and even in the local restaurant if you stop for a bite. In my area, a LOT of land is sold without ever being advertised and the locals all know the score. Another place worth inquiring in the local area your interested in, is the local building supply places where it never hurts to ask.

hckz
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 18:26

awesome thanks for the helpful info.

Wendigolake
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 20:17

Hi hckz,

My cottage is in the Earlton - New Liskeard area about 160 km south of Timmins. Lots of land for sale in that area and some with lake frontage. You might want to google realtors in that area and see what is available. I see lots of for sale signs when I head to the cottage.

hckz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 07:32

ok, thanks will check it out.

Jebediah
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 07:50 - Edited by: Jebediah

We used the MNR to find 3 places in the Gogama, Shinning Tree and Laforest area but that was 20 yrs ago. I found my recent property here in NS using Kijiji.

hckz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 09:27

ok, just go to the mnr website ?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 11:18

We signed up with a realtor for MLS updates on new properties that matched our criteria (size, features, price etc.) In this case, we got the email and made an offer within 48 hours.

Jebediah
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 11:22

hckzI'm not sure if they will volunteer that info any longer. I just went in and talked to the local CO's. If they still lease land in Northern On make sure you get a piece on a lake as the logging companies need to leave so much forested acreage next to bodies of water, not sure if that is still the policy. My cousin lost his piece of least land to a Diamond drilling company. Best of luck...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.