Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Argo 6x6 all terrain
beachman
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 13:31

Does anyone use an Argo amphibious vehicle? I saw some at a recent show and wondered about the actual performance. We have a water access property that we now use a boat to get to as it is accross a small stream. This seems like a good solution to avoid having to lug stuff to and from a boat. There is a lot of Sandy areas and muck and weeds.

spoofer
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 16:03

I don't think they have much room inside for hauling cargo.

wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 21:16

I have been out of that game for a while but I know that argo use to make an eight wheeler that would hall a decent amount of cargo.My experience was with the 6x6.They are not fast in the water

Cowracer
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 09:14 - Edited by: Cowracer

Argos... Slow on the ground. Slower on the water. Practically zero payload on water. Ridiculously expensive. no suspension, so it will beat you to ever-loving death and mechanically a nightmare to work on.

While it would be cool to drive one for about 15 minutes or so and pretend I was a panzerkampfwagen, I'd hesitate to own one unless someone gave it to me.

However, it sounds like they were designed exactly for your situation.

tim

hunt_camper
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 10:04

I will 2nd Cowracer's comments but add this. I have seen an Argo 8x8 pull a full grown moose out of the deep woods where there was no trail. Add tracks and you'll go places you haven't even thought of yet.

Make note of the "no suspension" comment. If you have rough terrain the travel will be slow and your knees, hips, elbows, back will act as the suspension.

beachman
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 11:54

Great, just what I thought. I do think they would be good but they are crazy expensive. The creek I have to cross is deep in the spring but shallow in the fall - could be the ticket for me as I really do not care about the water or ground speed. Someday! Thanks for all the replies.

RiverCabin
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 12:31

Quoting: Cowracer
mechanically a nightmare to work on

This guy gets it.

The Argos and all the other 6x6 and 8x8 rigs are great until they don't work. I had a neighbor with a small engine shop who yearly worked on a local farmers rig. As in every year something new was torn up by the guys grandkids.

Bigred292
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 21:54

I have an Argo Bigfoot- bought it used for around $2k
Can't argue about the ride but the thing can go absolutely anywhere.
I can fit my wife and 3 kids in it to ride around my cabin
I'm past the speed phase in my life- also can take it fishing
If the time comes where I want to part with it I should make a little money too

Ken Robbins
# Posted: 28 Apr 2018 18:34

I had an Argo Avenger at work a few years back. Avenger was the high end model and we added tracks. I can't say enough good about the capabilities of these rigs but warn you to be damn careful if you have no track vehicle experience and decide to go that way. They will kill you quick if you get them side-hilled even a little and the heavier they are the worse the sideways sleigh ride.
Not worth much in water but it is really nice if you are traveling terrain where you could get surprised by water. The tracks should not be on for deliberate water travel but even without there is no freeboard and really poor propulsion when floating. You need a little kicker outboard to move you along and steer with the drive wheels.
Near constant maintenance is needed like has been mentioned. If you can't or won't do it, probably not for you. They are tough but complicated, lots of adjustments and even a small tire pressure variance is hard on the drive system.
We had this to access levees around a tidal property adjoining the airport I managed, nothing else could touch it for doing the job we needed and I didn't mind the ride except the steering is steady by jerks, easing it through an nice wide turn will burn the steering brakes/clutches right out of it. I pulled a lot of equipment out of the muck with that beast and it saved my bacon more than a few times.
When you find a ditch in a flooded field with submerged grass you thank your stars that little rascal floats. When you are floating on tracks it is like a pong game getting back out of the water, it meanders to the shore and if one track touches first, it spins you around and off you go again. You need to hit shore square on to get it to climb out.
The fun part doesn't last a bit beyond the 15 minutes mentioned. It's a tool.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.