Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Firewising a.k.a. A Lot of Work!
Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 12:20

We have been firewising around the cabin. PO had done very little, in fact all the trees that were felled prior to building - 11 years ago - were still on the ground around the place. In addition lots of juniper brush right up to the cabin.

We have cleared all the downed and dead trees off the half acre the cabin sits on but have yet to get a start on the other half acre east of the house. In addition to clean up, the PO had all his firewood stacked alongside the cabin.... like a dummy I too stacked another cord of wood with what he had left. Yesterday I got 2+ cords of wood moved to the west of the cabin, stacked between trees and on the racks the PO had built.

We are getting a handle on it but still need to get the stored wood, etc out from under the porch and deck and enclose both of them with metal.

Here's a pic of the wood piles.... and the lonely generator doghouse, haven't even put the generator back out since our last trip away.... gotta love solar!
Wood pile
Wood pile

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 12:31 - Edited by: Nobadays

Try this again maybe I can get the photo upright! Also included a pic of the area as we were dragging logs out and clearing brush.

Edit ... 1 out of 2 ain't bad!
Wood pile
Wood pile
20190704_162742_resi.jpg
20190704_162742_resi.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 13:50

Good job on the cleanup. Lots of people leave too much deadfall on the ground and also don't thin the trees down to a healthy level. It IS a lot of work but can pay off in many ways. Congrats!

One or two thoughts. I don't like stacking wood between trees myself. Two reasons for me. We have mostly Ponderosa pines, many 75 feet tall or so.

Reason#1-- The pines sway a lot in the wind. The bark rubs down a bit where the cut wood presses against the tree.

Reason#2-- We have a lot of lightning. Five years ago one struck tree caught fire and a small pile of wood at the base started to burn. Good thing I was home.

Picture rotation articles that might be of help---
https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated /

https://www.lifewire.com/why-is-my-picture-turned-sideways-1701398

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 14:03

Thanks ICC! We have tried to leave little fuel on the ground - aside from leaves, very small sticks and the really decayed pieces of downed logs.... pretty much if it would burn it got burned.

Yep... I hesitated a out stacking between trees but at the present time it is the best solution. I'm hoping next year to build a woodshed near where the wood is currently stacked. I hate burning wet wood... not meaning green unseasoned, but wood that is stored outside. Why give up heat to dry it before it will burn properly.

Thanks for the links on picture posting.... I resized the one thinking that would help but to no avail.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.