Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Stihl or Husqvrna, or...???
. 1 . 2 . >>
01Marlin
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 20:35

I'm in the market for a chain saw. Which is better, Stihl, Husqvrna, or other make? Any particular model of a particular brand that might be recommended?

larry
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 20:40

stihl, imho.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 20:51

sthil, for sure......but i am using ECHO---- 20 inch bar at camp this spring and it it GREAT!!!!!!!!! my 1st echo

sm paul
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 21:27

If you get a husqvarna, make sure it is made in sweden. Sears is selling some orange poulans with husqvarna badges.
I've got a echo and a husqvarna, they are both very good saws, the echo usually starts on the first pull.

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 21:32

Husqy is a good saw.
Stihl is just the best.

Rent one

Just
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 21:41

stihl hands down

steveqvs
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 23:44

I think either are pretty good but I am a Stihl owner and do like it alot.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 08:03

Quoting: Gary O
Rent one

i bought my ECHO at my friends pawn shop, looked like new for 110 bucks and had a extra chain. Check pawn shops.....
Quoting: sm paul
the echo usually starts on the first pull.

mine too, that one of the things i like about it!!!!!

i keep my chain saw in back of my truck 24/7.....always to cut a tree out of the road on the farm or hunting lease.

bugs
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 10:16

Stihl

Chainsaw and weedwhacker. I have a super dealer.

The combination of chainsaw for the big stuff and the weed whacker with twine and 3 toothed blade (cuts up to wrist sized samplings) are really good for initially making/clearing our trails and then maintaining them.

bugs

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 10:34

Quoting: turkeyhunter
Check pawn shops.....

For sure, especailly if it's a Stihl
I meant 'rent one' to try it out (or borrow one).
I've had a little 20" Homelite Super XL since the mid 70s, and it's OK, but I borrowed a Stihl, and the owner had a hard time prying it from my hands. Zero vibration, one pull, etc, etc.
Also, a well maintained chain keeps one in a happy place.
Run the fuel out of it before putting it up for extended periods. It keeps the diaphragm supple, and starting less of an adventure.

Martian
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 15:32 - Edited by: Martian

I've got a 16" Stihl MS 250C with the easy start, and I really like it. Its two years old and has cut a lot of hardwood with no problems. The easy pull saves a lot of stress on the old shoulders. Definitely keep the chain sharp, but that applies to any saw.

Tom

Anonymous
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 17:03

Is it something that a 50+ yo female can use?

Martian
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 18:26

Anonymous, if said 50+yo female is in reasonably good shape, yes. There is a spring mechanism on the starting rope that actually turns over the engine. All she has to do is pull the rope, or bat her eyelashes and have some 50+yo guy pull on it.:)

Tom

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 19:46

Both good, but Stihl is the best. I collect Stihl saws. (018C, 026 X2 031 041)

Echo is also a sweet saw. Same goes for Shindawa. The Japanese version of the German Stihls.

Martian
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 21:12

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I collect Stihl saws. (018C, 026 X2 031 041)

I've got an 031 that won't start. You can have it.

Tom

naturelover66
# Posted: 19 Mar 2011 23:02

Well...... My HUBBY loves his Stihl.

recluse
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 10:58

I have an older Stihl 025 and it out cuts my Husqvarna 345 considerably. Also I can't keep the chain tight on the Husky! I have a Homelite XL for a limbing saw and it starts and saws great.
Poulan weed whacker and Echo tree saw each only a year old but work great too so far!
I bought a electric chain sharpener and it save a lot of time plus you have a sharp chain when you need it!

Vince P
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 09:33 - Edited by: Vince P

Stihl, Husqy and Echo are all good brands, but if you opt for a Husqy or an Echo, make sure it's not the watered down versions sold at Home Depot and Lowes. In my experience they do not last the way a high-end chainsaw should. I went through three of each of those brands in less than 1 year. Also, I do not recommend any Homelite or Poulan product made in the last ten years.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 23:18

Quoting: Martian
I've got an 031 that won't start. You can have it.

Tom

Tom, ignition module. Early design was a horseshoe shape and it was located under the flywheels which is out of the air stream, and the heat under the flywheel was like an oven and would cook it. They have a replacement module, its located outside of the flywheel and is in the airstream to keep things cool. I know, I had to do it to my 031. Cost way back was about $45 then. My .026 is my bread and butter saw. Perfect size. Not too big, but not too small either. Just installed a new Oregon "full competition super chisel bit" chain, that thing gets after the wood, throws the chips!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 24 Mar 2011 18:04

Stihl...hasn't let me down yet.

RIjake
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 08:58

I've never owned a Stihl but my Husky 51 is one of the most dependable tools I own.
I have a good friend who has excellent luck with Stihl and I have another friend who owns the biggest tree company in my area and he uses Jonsereds

JH Fish
# Posted: 1 May 2011 21:37

It has already been said but nothing beats a Stihl. My uncle had a small tree service and that is all he ever used for 40 years. I got one of his retired saws and it is still going strong. But I also have a small echo I use for smaller work and it is a great little saw.

smitty
# Posted: 2 May 2011 00:00

I have a Poulan.. It runs good.. About all I can say about it. It's just a chain saw lol.. But it seems to be a good one. Used it the other day, and it did a good job for me. Needs sharpened though, but I got it used.

Rob_O
# Posted: 2 May 2011 17:54

I've been real happy with my little Echo saw. Even with a safety chain it rips through small trees like nothing.

Also have the biggest saw Homelite sells. Previous owner used it 3 or 4 weekends to clean up storm damage on his property, let it sit for a year and sold it to me for $80. It's not a great saw, but it's a great $80 saw for the occasional big job.

Scott_T
# Posted: 3 May 2011 15:17

Echo; cuts fine, ergonomics are good but starting (cold) it's a little temperamental.

mrmiji
# Posted: 19 May 2011 00:42

I put about 150 hours a year on my MS 260 Pro and it just keeps starting and running like new. I also have a Stihl arborist saw, a clearing saw, their "baddest" extending pole saw and a leaf blower. I've never regretted purchasing any of them and really enjoy getting the 260 on the pipe watching it maul through wood.

avan
# Posted: 19 May 2011 00:54

Stihl Ms 260, new japanese saw look very good too.

jkycia
# Posted: 19 May 2011 19:17

I have a Stihl MS260 with an 18" bar. It is perfect. It is durable as can be and has a great power to weight ratio.

My father had gone through many saws, big, small, different lower brands and finally got a MS260. It has a button that seems to reduce the pressure in cylinders and makes it very easy to start.You just do two or three quick short pulls, it sputters and then you switch the choke. Then one pull and it starts. It is like that every time when cold.

I am sure the Husky is good too.

tips: keep your chain sharp. I have a spare. Also, be very very careful. Chainsaws are ridiculously dangerous. Do not over do it and cut when you are tired. ...I am talking from experience. Read about the safety and proper use.

fpw
# Posted: 20 May 2011 22:42

yes.

fthurber
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 20:18

Husky used to be good until they sold out to the Big Box stores; screw them.

Buy a Stihl and get excellent service and quality.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.