Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Member "Tim" I have a question about driveway sealer...
Spudmasher1
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 22:05

I have questions about using water based driveway sealer over OSB flooring like I have seen you use. Tim, I posted them under your project thread but I'm posting here in hopes of seeing what others have so say.

You wrote you covered your plywood until you got under roof. I see in one of your pictures an OSB floor coated then in another picture plywood that is not ocated. Did you use a subfloor of OSB, coat it then install a plywood floor on top?

What did you use to apply the driveway sealer? Seems likely to use a cheap roller and throw it away after use.

Did you coat the sides of the OSB also. I would think the sides and edges would delaminate first.

I'm thinking of coating my OSB floor with this same driveway sealer after seeing you use it but I may not cover it with plywood or anything else. Do you think this would work long term?

Thanks Spuds

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 00:21

Member Tim are you out there

Rifraf
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 09:00

Hey spud,

I seem to remember something about Tim not having internet out at his place yet ? Might have to give him some time to get on here and see your post.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 00:53

Here, Here. Look here Member Tim!

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 01:45 - Edited by: MtnDon

Spudmasher1, Check to see if you can buy Advantech OSB in your area. It costs a little more than regular OSB but has amazing water resistance. Less bother than messing about with driveway sealer, IMO. I know private contractors who have used nothing but this for years; better than the best plywood. Lowe's carries it where I am.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 03:21

I already have the OSB. I got 40x48 inch pieces free, about 800 of them so I'm looking for options to use it in my cabin project. I had read in Tim's build thread about him using the driveway sealer. Sure would like to know how it worked for him.

Tim
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:03

Spuds.....here I am!
Ok, here is what I did, and have done in the past.
First of all, yes, I used OSB. Just regular 3/4" T&G OSB. No plywood was used on the floor, I am not sure what you saw. Maybe just a scrap sheet laying there, but the whole floor is OSB.

Use ONLY water based driveway sealer. When it dries, it isn't sticky to walk on.

I use a cheap push broom to apply it, and a cheap stiff paint brush to get the edges.

Yes, "paint" the edges well too. (not the tough and groove part) just the outside edges when it is all put down already.

I bought 2 - five gallon buckets for a 540 sq. ft. floor and had just under half the second bucket left over.

Hope that answeres all your questions.
Tim

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 17:51 - Edited by: Spudmasher1

Woo Hoo!!!!! Lost Tim (never really lost at all): is found!

Thanks so much. I plan on using this technique but was worried about delamination of the OSB. I'm planning on using 3 layers of 7/16 OSB because it was free and I have lots of it. Planning on 2 layers down overlapped joints on top of the framing of the skid. This would be the layer that gets coated. Building walls on top of this then after walls, roof up and covered laying down a 3rd layer inside walls and using this as finished floor with several coats of clear floor coat. At least that is the plan.

Thanks again Tim. I have read through lots of your building posts and learned a lot with all the pictures. I tend to over plan everything but it's fun and until May next year all I can do is get ready.

Spuds

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.