Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How to set up a propane system?
BIGPAPI
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 13:23 - Edited by: BIGPAPI

I am wanting to set up our hunting cabin with some propane. We will be running a ventless infared heater, stove & water heater. The tank that we have is 100#, is that large enough? What type of pipe should be used (Coper or regular gas pipe?) and what size? Also what type of regulator will be needed at the tank? The tank will be outside with the lines running into the cabin. The furthest run of gas pipe should be no more than 25 feet. My location is in Boerne, Texas (Hill Country). Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as I dont want to blow us up! Thanks in advance for y'alls time and help. Greg

BIGPAPI
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 05:25

Any one???? Sure could use the help. If not here maybe someone knows another sight or forum. Thanks again.

Martian
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 07:28

You use black pipe. The propane supplier will provide the tank, regulator, and line from the tank to the house.

Tom

BIGPAPI
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 10:35

Tom,
We are not using a propane supplier so as to stay away from a long term contract, we only use the hunting cabin November through part of January. That is why we have the 100# tank, so we can take it to town to be refilled. That being said will the tank we have be adequate to run the above stated equipment? Also what kind of regulator will we need at the tank? I have heard that there are several different kinds and that you have to get one that will supply the proper BTU's to the equipment you are running. Is that correct? Any and all tips/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again Tom. Greg (In TEXAS)

wakeslayer
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 12:09

You use black pipe for sure.
I have two 100# tanks at my cabin. I fill one, once a year on average. Mine is used for my fridge and tankless heater. We are pretty liberal with hot water. Long showers, big sink for dishes, etc. I have three 40# tanks for the stove in the bunkhouse. If we are there for a week in the winter, I will be towards the end of the second tank or starting the third by the time we leave.
I would get a second tank and have a switching valve. You will never run out then. I think the switching valve is also a regulator. Your appliances may well have their own internally. I cannot remember what my regulator is. either 2 or 4lbs, I believe. And thinking it is the 2lb.

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 17:18

Propane hookup's are kinda hard to give advice on.Unfortunately,people do blow their houses to pieces every year with propane.Mine is all ran in 3/8 coppor tubing with all flared fittings.I'm feeding the fridge,the cook stove and the water heater and the big,30,000 btu heater from a 100 pounder.I'm hopeing to get a month out of a full tank in a winter month,but i'm here full time.You will want to make absolutely sure you don't have any leak's going on anywhere.

beachman
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 17:36

I have two camps with propane stoves, refrigerators and lights. I also have a propane hot water on-demand heater at our more recent place. I used copper tubing for everything with no problems - except - for the new place where I made a manifold from black pipe to distribute the gas to each pipe so I could have a shut-off valve for each unit. The gas guys gave me the proper regulator and I used 3/8" tubing for the lights, 1/2" for the stove and 5/8" for the heater. It all depends on the distance the tgas has to travel to the appliance. The copper tubing is fairly easy to work with except the 5/8 which is harder to bend without kinking and harder to flange. Maybe this will help.

BIGPAPI
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 02:01

thanks for all the great input y'all, please keep the info and advice comming. It is realy helping me out. Thanks again!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 08:01

I've always had LP in both my house and cabin. No black pipe all copper tubing. At home I have range, hot water, furnace and at the cabin stove, furnace and four lights. I have learned to make good flares and have the three tools at both locations.

Owen

BIGPAPI
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 18:50

Hey y'all thanks for all the info, does anyone know the type of regulator that I need to have? As far as the tank size goes, how long do y'all think it will last. We will not be using the stove, heater & water heater all the time and almost never at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all y'alls time. Greg

davestreck
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 19:05

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good value in a flaring tool? It seems like one of those tools that you shouldn't automatically go for the el-cheapo Harbor Freight version, or am I wrong?

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 19:32

Ridgid makes the cheapest one that works well and easy. Not cheap though at about $45 IIRC.

larry
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 22:56

i know you said you didnt want to get into a contract with a propane supllier but you will have to buy it somewhere. with that said one of these supliers can sell you the proper regulator you need. if you look the picture i posted, the two tanks against the cabin are piped to a common regulator. that regulator has a automatic switching valve that the lines enter. if one tank goes empty it will switch to the other tank. that regulator is attached to half inch black pipe that runs 50 ft. to my hot water tank. and the most important thing is to make SURE nothing leaks. fyi the suplier i went with gave those tanks to me i just bought the gas in them.
IMG_20121126_223645..jpg
IMG_20121126_223645..jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 23:19

Watch out for the free tanks, many times if you dont own the tanks, you must by their propane and its not usually the best prices. Own your tank, but the best priced propane. I suspect a inspection/test is needed every 12 yrs or so.

larry
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 23:32

this was a "hand shake " deal. i could tank them where i wish to be filled but i gave my word and here is why. 20 years ago i was hunting and my heater went out one saturday night , it was 22 degrees f that night. i knocked on the door and he answered. sold me the parts i needed to fix the heater all was right . oh it was 9:30 at night.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 08:58

Larry, sounds like first class customer service to me. He deserves your propane sales.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 09:00

I used 3/8" copper gas pipe, purchased right from Home Depot, was made for gas/water. I only have a small stove/oven, so get the correct size for your main trunk line to be able to supply all your loads.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 08:30 - Edited by: PA_Bound

BIGPAPI... during that stretch from November to January, how many days will you actually be using those appliances? And will the heat and such be running when you are not there? I would think 100# would be plenty for occasional use, unless maybe you are living there full-time during that period.

BIGPAPI
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 17:33

PA_Bound,
We will be using the appliances sporaticaly, hot water for a quick shower and/or wash a few dishes, stove very little for cooking stew, chilli, eggs etc... The heater will be used as needed, the only issue is we have an oldtimer that hunts with us and he gets cold if it is 70* but we can regulate him. From Nov. through Jan. we are there quite a bit, 3-5 days at a time, but not full time. In the Texas Hill Country cold weather realy dosent hit until mid to late Dec. So, what do y'all think? 100# tank be OK? Again any help on the type of regulator that I will need for running these appliances would be great. Thanks again to ALL Y'ALL that are helping me out, words do not express my gratitude. Keep em comming.

krusty
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 13:07

I strongly suggest that you hire a licensed gas fitter to run the pipe and hook things up for you. I believe in doing as much as possible on my own but gas is not forgiving. It will be a good investment. I bought my own 420# tank and bought a reg and appliances online. Though hired an excellent guy to hook it all up

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 14:50

Quoting: krusty
I strongly suggest that you hire a licensed gas fitter.....

Well it is true that this is an area where one can quickly find themselves in trouble IF one does not know what the job really entails. Many problems stem from people not knowing what is accepted practice. It takes some study to find out some of the details. Some will not take the time to do that. Those folks should hire an installer; one with a state license. Part of the difficulty comes in knowing for sure what ypu know yourself. Many people make many errors in many aspects associated with building because they think they know it all.

That's when you find people using compression fittings with copper tubing and so on. It is possible to do a safe installation for fuel gases. It is also easy to screw it up in a dangerous way.

So, it depends. IMO

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.