Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / vapor barrier
Shadyacres
# Posted: 28 Jan 2014 19:33

Vapor barrier ? I know I will get differing answers on this but is it better to install Kraft faced insulation and no other vapor barrier ( say 6 mil poly) or is it better to install unfaced insulation and 6 mil poly ? Also , I was planning on placing drywall on my exterior walls and then 3/4 inch T & G pine. I checked with my code officer and he said I did not need the drywall if I used a vapor barrier between the insulation and the T & G. Does anyone have any opinions on this . I welcome all to join in. Mike

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Jan 2014 20:10

Vapor barrier use / requirements are climate specific.

But everywhere can benefit from an air barrier. They are different and yet sometimes are the same.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 28 Jan 2014 20:18

I am in central PA , I always thought if you used kraft faced insulation , that was vapor barrier but I read so many different opinions so I'm not sure.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Jan 2014 20:19

Your building officer is right. I have always thought poly was much better than craft back in that it can be almost free of any leaks.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Jan 2014 20:39

Some of the best info on vapor and air barriers as well as insulation can be found on the website of buildingscience.com

Worth a look.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.