Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / foundation help?
Nicolle
# Posted: 18 Apr 2014 21:03

I've posted in the past, and recently have been lurking again. I want to build a camping cabin. I was wanting to do something extremely simple. I have never built anything this large...but very determined to figure it all out. I am limited with help, and lifting, due to a bad back. So here are my thoughts, anyone that could give me feedback, I would appreciate it. Was wanting to build using deck blocks. Going to dig holes, fill and compact with gravel, then place a concrete slab on top, then the deck blocks on that. Was wanting to use deck blocks every few feet supporting the 2x12s. In this build I wouldn't have a beam, just using 2x12s as joists and rim joist. Would assume I would have to support every few feet. Would this work at say every 4'? Really want to avoid having to use concrete, or having to carry heavy posts. Cabin will be 12x16, and will be very light, in midwest, so snow is average. Thanks for any help.

beachman
# Posted: 19 Apr 2014 11:16

What kind of ground are you on? If stable or sandy soil, you will not get much movement and can build on the surface. If a lot of clay subject to large heaving, then you might want to go down below the frost line. I have been told on several occasions - either stay on the surface or go deep - no halfway moves. We have sandy soil and little movement so we stayed on the surface with cement blocks and no problems (3 yrs) to date with a lot of snow and freezing temps. Our place is about 20x25 with three beams running the length.

leonk
# Posted: 20 Apr 2014 10:21 - Edited by: leonk

"stay on the surface or go deep"
100% agree. If you're on clay and you dig a small hole, it will only fill with water and make your situation worse compared to no foundation at all.
If you want simple - put the deck blocks on the ground and go up.
One possible improvement - kill vegetaion, lay geotextile, some gravel on top and then place the blocks.
Your span (distance between blocks) will be determined by the size of the beams and the size (weight) of the building). There are people with more experience here who will chime in (I hope). However, as mentioned many times if you go w/o foundation, build on 4 corners - much easier to make adjustments if even necessary (2 skids).
Also, w/o foundation, windows' and doors' openings might change season to season, so keep this in mind.

Nicolle
# Posted: 21 Apr 2014 17:13

Thanks for the replies. I was at my property this weekend, and after seeing my camper shift and cause some damage in the recent storms, I've decided to pour some concrete. Calling in some favors to help do the heavy lifting. Worried now if I don't the cabin will shift in the first storm. Here is the new plan. Any feedback would be great if this build sounds solid. Planning on heading up later this week to look for morels, and get the tractor ready to dig some holes. Ok, 12x16 sitting on 6 block piers, 6' spacing. Dug down to frost line, reinforced footer, 3-8x8x16 blocks stacked and filled with rebar and concrete. I want to run the beams 1 foot in, so my 2x8 floor joist span 10'. Beams will be 4- 2x8x16, 5/12 gable roof. Cabin will be light, 20psf load, and max would be 40psf under snow load. I feel like this would be solid, however, I have only been researching, never have built a cabin before, only have helped. Thanks again. I'm sure my questions seem simple to experienced builders.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.