Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Bed in celling
KinAlberta
# Posted: 5 Jun 2014 19:15 - Edited by: KinAlberta

A friend's family once owned a property in British Columbia (built in the 1930s I believe) and in the smaller log cabin I slept in, was a room where the bed stored in the ceiling. It was a board ceiling with a large bed sized square cut out of it and a handle. You reached up, pulled on the handle and a bed on cables dropped down from the ceiling.

It was a neat idea and worked really well in this small cabin, so i'm wondering if anyone here has built anything like this.

Note: The property was very remote when it was built by a very wealthy person and had some very unusual features (a fish pond and a Boeing built Cabin Cruiser. The small cabin I was in had a 10' or so long copper counter and sink, amazing board walls of hand scraped or hand sanded boards that revealed the grain of the wood that I've never seen anywhere else since, the bed in the ceiling...)

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Jun 2014 20:45

Sounds cool. I wish you had pictures.

Don_P
# Posted: 5 Jun 2014 20:56

We did something along those lines in our 8x12 weekend shed while we built. I hung pulleys from the top plates and built 4 shallow boxes that fit within the stud bays, these were filled with quickrete to counterweight a frame platform that the matress sat in. There were rails built on the walls just above table height that the platform would come down and rest on at night. During the daytime we lifted the bed up and but prop sticks from the wall rails to the underside of the platform. Crude but it worked.

We had visitors one weekend and let them use the shed while we camped in the tent outside. The poor lady didn't sleep a wink, convinced that the bed would fly up to the ceiling

My folks had a murphey bed that Dad built into a closet. It turned a utility room into a guest bedroom.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.