Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Bath house questions
bluewillo
# Posted: 23 Jun 2014 21:50

My cabin is so small (16 x 20) that I really want the "bathroom" (about 4 x 4) space back. All that's in there is one of those little toilets with the bags. I want to get a Loveable Loo, and put it in a under 100 sq ft cabin, AND I want to put a shower in the same cabin.

Keep in mind, I have no elec and no water. The shower will be hooked to a grey water system, and the loo makes humanure.

Questions: Do I need Health Dept input (this is after I have them come out and say where the well and septic must go, in order to get an address...I have no intentions of putting either in until I win the lottery. I live in Michigan, and Health Dept is county controlled.

Has anyone in my state done a greywater system, how much hassle did the health dept give you, does the health dept even need to know about it, I plan to keep the bldg under 100'sq ft for zoning. My biggest question is will it be ok to put both the loo and the shower (operating on seperate syst, of course,( in the same bldg?

old243
# Posted: 23 Jun 2014 22:01

At our hunt camp we have a 2 holer, it is outback, we also have a small sauna building , our water is heated by a wood stove with saddle tanks . No shower, just get a pailful of warm water , give yourself a good scrubbing. no need for power in either. No permits , we are in northern Ontario. old243

brooksm29
# Posted: 23 Jun 2014 22:47

Where in Michigan are you located? Have you given any thought to an outhouse? How much land? I am near Baldwin and I am aware of some of their policies in that area.

bluewillo
# Posted: 23 Jun 2014 23:38

I'm up around Cadillac, and my "bathhouse" idea is really just an outhouse with a Loo and a shower idea. Any input?

brooksm29
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 00:21

I own 1 acre and I am allowed 2 buildings near Baldwin. My township allows you to build a building up to 100sqft without a permit and thats the route I chose. I currently have an outhouse that is actually a composting toilet (bucket method). I have given some thought to making another 100sqft outhouse/shower/storage area for the property. I have not asked about the grey water because I did not want to open that can of worms. I am not sure what they say up there near you about all these things. I would call your township or? to find out what the rules are. I can have an outhouse but it has to be pumpable. Which is why I went with the composting toilet. They also said I couldnt have a well and the outhouse on my property (choose your poison). Partially, because I was so near the lake. I am sure that your area is about the same rules and regs. You may be able to get on their website and find all the information you will need without even calling them. Are you trying to do the "no permit" way or just looking for advice?

brooksm29
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 00:24

I also havent put the grey water system in for the cabin yet but plan on the bucket method. Bury in ground with stone around it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.