Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 1.5 storey question
Liamey
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 16:01

I finally have a floor in the woods! The 3/4 osb floor is supported on 2x10 joists that span 3 2x12 piers that rest on 6x6 posts.

The cabin floor is in Canada and once finished will be 16x24 in size, so relatively small.

I would like to make the cabin a 1.5 storey, but not a full storey on top, maybe 16x12, the other half would remain open. I have been doing some reading on the subject but would like to gain a sense of what others may have done. From my readings it looks like balloon framing might work well? If I had a bathroom and small room at the back of my cabin on the 16' wide gable wall could I place a ledger on this wall and span the upper floor joists across and on top of the bedroom and bathroom wall? Might there be a better way of doing this? How did others tackle this in a small space? I would be interested to know your experiences. Thank you.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 18:20

Need a dimensioned drawing to start

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 21:18

Quoting: Liamey
16x24 in size, so relatively small

Umm.... mine is 10 x 16.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.