Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Shower rough in
grover
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 13:31 - Edited by: grover

I've tiled and plumbed an existing tub/shower combo but this is new cabin construction and will be shower only and roughly 3' x 5'. It will be in the end of a bath and there are already 3 walls framed in. Do I just frame a low threshold (how high?)and put up my durock on the walls? What about the floor of the shower? I think there are pre-made pans but I think the sizes may be limited. What's the best way of doing a bottom to catch and drain the shower if not using something preformed?

I forgot to add...The plan is to tile the whole thing.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 16:34

There are shower pans that are 36 x 60 inches. One might just drop in depending on your exact measurements. Easier than building your own pan, but only if it fits into the space. Of course if you build a pan you can then use tile for the pan as well as the walls.

fasenuff
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 17:25

Last shower pan I did I used a flexible pan liner. I was real pleased with how it worked! I did not have to worry if the area was an inch or two bigger or smaller in length or width becvause the pan liner shapes to any size. After liner was down I poured hydraulic grout for the shower floor and then tiled it. No leaks yet! Here is the product I used. http://www.oatey.com/products/shower-pan-liners

You could put the liner down, pour the floor, then eithr tile or panel above the floor by over lapping the top edge of the liner with durarock or whatever....

grover
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 20:36

I think I've seen that flexible liner in the Lowes here. What I have now in 60 inches in length but my fixtures will be on an exterior wall so I think I may frame another plumbing wall inside the exterior one just for a little extra freeze protection. That will cut it down to 56 1/2". We don't have terrible winters but we do get some nights can drop to zero or a little below.
My wife wants a small seat in the shower too, probably a corner seat.

rwoods
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:29

You can google how to build a ceramic shower and get step by step instructions

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.