Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Retaining water in pond
thetick
# Posted: 25 May 2015 14:22

I needed some fill for another part of the property, and also wanted a pond I can possibly raise some fish. So, I now have a 16x38 foot hole, 9-10 feet deep on one end, and sloped (shallow) at the other.

The soil is mostly Georgia red clay. Packs really well.

So, how do people keep water in it?

Just
# Posted: 25 May 2015 15:06

clay should be good once its filled .. mine is clay and only gone dry once in 40 years .

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 25 May 2015 15:16

I've heard of people using hogs in a dug pond to get the bottom sealed.

http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2012/07/paul-wheaton-can-pigs-build-ponds/

At a recent event with Sepp Holzer, somebody asked Sepp for advice on what sort of liner to use for a pond. Sepp's response was "I grade your question with an 'F', the lowest possible grade!"

Sepp has built hundreds of ponds and dozens of lakes and he never has used a liner.

When Sepp was young he had some ponds that he built that would leak. And he observed pigs wallowing, and how their wallows would go weeks without rain and hold the water.

In time, he made the connection as to why that is. And all of his pond sealing techniques attempt to emulate how a pig would go about sealing a pond.

Sepp may not have been aware that for hundreds of years, many farmers have used pigs for pond sealing.

The idea is to put them in the pond area where they will root and stomp and root and stomp and ... the shape of their hooves are super packers and the soil that has been stomped on becomes densely compacted. This sealing effect is so amazing, in fact, that a lot of farmers avoid putting pigs on any land that is having drainage trouble – cuz pigs will make it worse.

When I have shared this technique on forums over the years, I inevitably get comments back from folks based on their experience with pigs and ponds, such as these:

My parents dug a pond, it leaked from the start, we tried several things when I still lived at home, but none worked. After I left home, they ran pigs in it, just fenced it in with electric fence. The pigs when in there a couple of years, the pond started holding the next spring, and has held to this day. Pigs have been gone four years now.

Quite a few years ago we built a pond that did not seal. We fenced it in and ran hogs for three years at the suggestion of my Uncle. The third year one of the piglets drowned in the pond. We moved the hogs. That pond is still holding water. I know of several other ponds done the same way. A pretty common practice around here.

Often, the discussion includes the effectiveness of a method called gley (glie/glei), a popular Russian technique using animal waste as a seal – usually filling a pond bowl with cow manure or hay, sometimes several feet deep, then channeling in such a large volume of water that the organic matter must stay submerged (I would guess this would be through fall, winter and spring).

I once saw a home where the septic drain field was buried five feet deep (instead of the recommended 18 inches). The owner also had a drain field drain into a gully (illegal). I suspect that what happened is a glie layer formed and the septic system backed up. So the owner added the illegal drain. The (legal) depth of 18 inches facilitates aerobic breakdown.

.... as for the pig manure .... I think pigs are not going to seal a pond with the gley technique. At least, not without human help. Pigs like to put their poop "over there" in a nice, tidy fashion.

So if you want pig poop to do the gley technique for a pond, you will have to go get it and put it in the pond. And you probably will never have enough pigs to pull this off. Cow poop would be a really good gley choice – but I wouldn't want to put a cow through that: having to stand in that much poop.

So, try the rooting and stomping. Pigs love to wallow, just remember to pen them in with a single wire electric fence! So, in the end, you will get a sealed pond and some bacon!
- See more at: http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2012/07/paul-wheaton-can-pigs-build-ponds/#sthash.TgwMV MEt.dpuf

thetick
# Posted: 25 May 2015 16:09

How do pigs climb walls? Its 9ft deep

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 May 2015 22:24 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: thetick
How do pigs climb walls? Its 9ft deep

you would be surprised.....put them in there and if no electric fence they will get out ....we have them cross the river ( wild hogs) 30 to 50 foot banks during drought in the summer. Hogs are smart creatures.

or you can us a product called damn tight or well seal...I used this on small wildlife ponds before. its all made of Bentonite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaXdnWmZOo

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.