Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 1/2" or 5/8" Sheetrock on Ceiling?
paulz
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 09:42

Time to put up sheetrock on my ceiling. The joists are 6 feet long, 24" spacing and slope is about 4 in 12. I read somewhere that 1/2 will sag with the spacing (on a flat ceiling presumably). The 5/8 would be heavier and harder to put up. Which do you recommend?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 10:13

They have always used 1/2" unless a fire barrier between like a garage and living space, then 5/8". I seen many homes with trusses set at 24" OC and they used 1/2". I have 1/2" in my garage ceiling, trusses at 24" OC, zero sag. I'd roll the 1/2", so much easier to work with.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 11:46

Thanks, I was hoping you'd say that!

timcook
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 12:25

Id use 1/2 inch you will be fine. when i was doing drywall the only time we used 5/8s was like said above is for fire wall from grage wall into the home, we did lots of custom homes and never had to use 5/8s on the celing. Enjoy

sparky30_06
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 15:11

5/8" is needed for 24" centers. Also make sure you glue it also.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 18:31

You can use the 1/2" BUT get the Lightweight stuff... less strain putting it up and less weight hanging on the screws. If you have a Vapour Barrier then you cannot glue & screw them on... glue wont stick to plastic eh. Had to let a buddy try it cause he insisted, he learned and wasted $30 worth of adhesive (his pocket).

5/8 Lightweight would be far better though on 24oc.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 19:45

Well I already bought two sheets of 4x12x1/2" today (cut in half fits my joists no waste). Didn't ask about lightweight. I can always use it on the walls though.

Hmm, vapor barrier, do I need that? My roof is OSB covered in paper and asphalt shingles. Insulation is batts with paper one side.

Climate is mild coastal California, woodstove in winter, no a/c, some rain and fog, low humidity.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 22:31

Paulz, you have an attic?

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 23:57

Here's a bunch of good info from Georgia Pacific about hanging drywall on ceilings-

http://www.buildgp.com/toughrock-regular-gypsum-board-faq#faq2

One thing they say is that whether or not it sags is a function of whether it gets exposed to too much moisture- either during construction or later. Those foggy California days might be enough.

Georgia Pacific has some types of drywall that are supposedly stiffer, and made for the purpose. I'm sure other manufacturers have similar products. Typical cheap drywall is a dirt simple product, mass produced to keep it cheap. In small cabins we aren't using a heck of a lot so we can use some of the better stuff and not break the bank. I used DensArmor drywall on my little bathhouse. It's a better quality drywall with fiberglass facing instead of paper, and somewhat moisture resistant gypsum. I'm going to use it on my cabin as well. So long as a building is lived in and heated it stays dry enough that cheap drywall is fine. If the building is unoccupied during the moist season the drywall may be exposed to too much moisture. My cabin will be unoccupied much of the time, so I chose a moisture resistant drywall. The green board and blue board they sell is not moisture resistant. It is designed to resist the one time application of thin set for tile (not in showers).

paulz
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 00:39

Interesting, thanks.

No attic, small loft.
1468989518404180985.jpg
1468989518404180985.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 13:25

Is that Bigfoot in the corner of your cabin?

paulz
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 16:56

Don't know, it has been noisy around the place lately. I was at Home DePot today, they have exactly 3 types of sheetrock, 1/2, 5/8 and the purple stuff. I guess around here it's not a big concern. Anyway still mulling it over. One thing though; I was planning to run it parallel to the rafters, which would mean 4x6 sheets with only screws running down the middle of the 6 ft length and the edges. According to the GP article I should probably be running it the other way in 4x8 sheets with another 2x8 sheet next to it and span 4 rafters instead of 3.

I though this was going to be one of the easier decisions...

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 21:45

The Homeless Despot can order most anything you want, but the odd types of drywall are usually gotten at drywallers supply stores. There is a big one near me, but then I'm in a major metro area.

If I were you I'd go with the 5/8" and suffer putting it up. You can rent lifts made for the purpose, or offer your friends beer and bbq.

JDPugh
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 01:42

I would vote 5/8 mold resistant everywhere. Cost a bit more but might save you some heartburn down the road.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.